Question PC Turns On Then Off - CPU Grinding Noise

Apr 7, 2020
Hi,
My PC turns on for a few seconds, then turns off, then turns back on again for a few seconds and this keeps repeating. The CPU is making a grinding noise. So I suspect the CPU. What can I do? I have the Ryzen 5 2600 on a B450m Pro4 ASrock mobo.

Hi,
My PC turns on for a few seconds, then turns off, then turns back on again for a few seconds and this keeps repeating. The CPU is making a grinding noise. So I suspect the CPU. What can I do? I have the Ryzen 5 2600 on a B450m Pro4 ASrock mobo.
The CPU has no moving parts so I don't see how it could be 'grinding'. It's probably a fan that is sitting on a heatsink attached to the CPU. Many motherboards won't start if it doesn't see the CPU fan turning at correct RPM's. You might carefully drag a finger on the fan to see if it alters the sound or makes it stop altogether while it's spinning during start up.

Are you using the stock heatsink fan? if so, changing it to an aftermarket unit might be in order as I don't think you can easily replace the fans that come on Wraith coolers.

Apr 7, 2020
You're right. It sounded like it, but there was nothing. It's not the CPU, it's not the RAM, I disconnected the GPU. Fans are working, case lighting is working, incisor the power button is working. Not sure where to go from there.

Apr 7, 2020
Okay, shorted the CSMO jumpers, removed the battery, checked the RAM one by one. Removed other wires, such as USB etc. I know the case plugs are in correctly. Can't think of what else to do. It powers up for about 15 seconds, switches off, restarts for 15 seconds, and continues in a loop until I turn the power off.

TRENDING THREADS