Motherboard:Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Ram:G skill aegis 2x8gb 3000mhz
Cpu:R3 2200g with stock cooler
Gpu:Gigabyte gtx 1060 3gb
Psu:Coolermaster master watt lite 400W
hdd/ssd:1tb Toshiba and 120gb kingston
Case:Kolink void
Monitor:Samsung sync master s22b350

Hello everyone, so I’ve been experiencing some weird issues lately, my pc has been having trouble turning on, it would turn on after 2-3 tries and having to switch on/off the psu.
Yesterday it just didn’t work, now when I switch the psu on the pc starts on it’s own, fans start spinning and I can hear the hdd work but it won’t post anything, and I can only turn it off from the psu since the power button doesn’t work for some reason now…
I have tried resetting my bios(cmos),switch ram slots, run without gpu, and even if i remove the pw switch cable from the motherboard it still does the same thing…I’m thinking it’s either a short motherboard or problem with the psu, how can I tell what it is exactly? I’m really confused and any help would mean a lot to me because im at a dead end. I have tried toms no post, no boot, troubleshooting guide as well but no luck.

Solution
It’s about 2,5 years old, does a faulty psu also explain the booting difficulty before?
It could. But a failing motherboard could do that too. However, considering the age and rather low quality of your PSU I would say the chance for PSU failing is higher then motherboard.

MikeMats17

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
It could. But a failing motherboard could do that too. However, considering the age and rather low quality of your PSU I would say the chance for PSU failing is higher then motherboard.
Hm right. I read earlier about checking the psu with a multimeter, I’m guessing if it’s under 12v that’s problem solved??

MikeMats17

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
Since it starts on its own the problem is not in voltages (at least not with 12V). It can very well still have good voltages especially without load (and you have no way to test it under load), and even then it does not mean it's good.
So the only way to test it is getting another psu and seeing if it works?

MikeMats17

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
Yes. Alternatively you could test with another motherboard. But there is a risk that if your PSU is indeed faulty it could potentially damage it.
Well that just seems stupid lol, I will try first with psu and if the problem continues I will switch motherboard, if the problem still continues, I’m guessing I’ll have to buy a new cpu
Thanks for the help!