PC - TV - ARC to Amp 5.1

reconminicon

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Hi people. I am having problems setting up 5.1 audio. I want it set up so its HDMI from PC to TV using audio return from TV to amplifier via HDMI. When I plug the PC into the TV it will not send 5.1. My PS4 does with no problems. The receiver does not have inputs for the separate front surround centre ect. And I dont want to use optical. The HDMI is running from a MSI GTX 970.
Thx

Windows 10
Motherboard Asus Crosshair Formula V
Output from MSI GTX 970
TV Sony KDL47W805A
Receiver Onkyo TX NR525

reconminicon

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
PS4 is able to manage (send) it in differant ways. My beef is my TV and probably 99% of others do not passthrough the audio untoutched ARCed to my amp. And if I use the amp passthrough the picture quality is not as good. Best way I have been able to set the PC up if DVI-HDMI to the TV and HDMI to the amp from the graphics card. Only the PC see's the amp as a second screen rendering a picture and wasting resources. Among other issues. And any Nvidia driver updates wipe the settings and needs to be configured again. So I ended up with PCM Multichannel. For PC.

Just think in 2016 this is still stone age tech. I wonder how much I need to spend on a amp that does nothing to the passthrough picture and adds on input lag either! If such a thing exists!

Why not go optical? HDMI wasn't specced to transmit only sound..