[SOLVED] PC Under-Performing in Black Ops 4 (and other titles)

tgimike

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
I was seeing other systems with similar specs to mine easily getting 150+ FPS on 1080p ultra in bo4 while I'm getting roughly 80 - 130. System runs fine in benchmarks and I don't believe its a cpu / gpu bottleneck as well as my temps seem okay. The only thing I could think is that the memory config is a bit odd. Any help would be awesome :)

Benchmark // System Specs
----------------------------------------
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/13286522

Solution
easily getting 150+ FPS on 1080p ultra in bo4
and you confirmed they had EXACTLY the same system as yours? if not then the possibilities could be many

first things that catch my eyes about your system are;
1/ ram running at 2133
2/ 12GB of ram, an unusual amount for a system with 2 slots possible ramsticks. and I will take a guess you running 1x8GN and 1x4GB ram sticks on your system , please confirm or deny and explain 12GB on your system

if the 1x8GB + 1x4GBN is true I would say that is your biggest problem for 2 reasons
1/ having disparate sizes causes the system to utilize each ram stick as single mode ram versus using for example 2x8GB or 2x4gb in dual mode (faster)
2/ the system will use the 8GB first then the 4GB...
easily getting 150+ FPS on 1080p ultra in bo4
and you confirmed they had EXACTLY the same system as yours? if not then the possibilities could be many

first things that catch my eyes about your system are;
1/ ram running at 2133
2/ 12GB of ram, an unusual amount for a system with 2 slots possible ramsticks. and I will take a guess you running 1x8GN and 1x4GB ram sticks on your system , please confirm or deny and explain 12GB on your system

if the 1x8GB + 1x4GBN is true I would say that is your biggest problem for 2 reasons
1/ having disparate sizes causes the system to utilize each ram stick as single mode ram versus using for example 2x8GB or 2x4gb in dual mode (faster)
2/ the system will use the 8GB first then the 4GB second, and not in parallel making the speed slower in processing an this could be affecting your fps in the end.

if your ram configuration is 1x8GB and 1x4GB like I believe it is I suggest you get a matching 8GB ram stick or change both to 2x8GB or 2x4GB matched pairs so you can use dual channel mode on your ram

Solution

tgimike

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

No, not exactly as mine that's why I said similar. I figured the RAM was going to be the culprit or the topic of conversation at least :p. But yeah I'm running 1x 8gb dimm with 1x 4gb dimm. Apparently the ram is running in flex mode (listed as dual channel in CPU-Z) so I didn't think the performance would be impacted that much. I also heard that memory doesn't have that much affect on gaming but I could be completely wrong! If you think that memory my biggest problem for low fps I can try picking up a 16gb kit tomorrow :)

Serinox

Reputable
Jun 23, 2017
I agree with paladin. Your ram is running in single channel since its a 8+4gb combo. This will hurt your framerates especially when aiming for high refresh rates.
I would either way get another matching 8gb stick and ditch the 4gb module, or get a matched pair of decent 3000mhz ram.

tgimike

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I was taking a look at my mobo specs just now and saw that. Really don't think RAM speed is going to have a significant increase on my FPS however ;) ((this isn't a ryzen cpu lol))

Serinox

Reputable
Jun 23, 2017

Thats actually not true! Many people believe they need a Z-series board to run higher ram speeds, but they are simply wrong. Look at the qvl list and you will see that this mobo even can do 3600mhz. I did recommend ddr3000 since the extra you pay over mainstream ddr2133 isn´t that much, but in cpu dependant games you will benefit!

You could test games like arma or overwatch (high refresh rates) and they will scale with ram speed quite well. Your current bandwith is on par with ~ddr3-1600 and the latency of 70ns is horrendous aswell.

tgimike

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

Thanks for the insight! I knew the ram was shite when I bought it but I was on a very very tight budget during the time and figured that it wouldn't have much of a performance impact anyways. I havent slept in about 18 hours so I'll run some benches with Arma whenever I wake up. Any other "benchmarks" you could recommend for RAM and is it possible you could tell me what latency number is good? I know the lower the better but how low is good enough?

@ serinox I think your looking at the wrong board, his motherboard is a MSI H110M GAMING.

From the manufaturer web site https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H110M-Gaming.html on presentation page clearly show and i quote "Supports DDR4-2133 Memory" but looking further to be sure on the specification page we find: https://www.mshttps://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H110M-GAMING/Specification this information " DDR4 MEMORY 2133 MHz" and just in case you are not convinced the manufacturer possibly made a typo the detail of the specification page also denotes more details in the details of:
Main Memory
• 2 x DDR4 memory slots, support up to 32GB
- Supports DDR4 2133 MHz *
• Dual channel memory architecture
* Please refer to www.msi.com for more information on compatible memory.
so I dig has deep as the manufacturer will let me regarding this motherboard and I look up the compatible memory for this motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-GAMING#support-mem-5 because he uses a Kabylake cpu (Intel Core i7-770)

rigth away in bright red manufacturer indicates:
Note:
1. DDR4 2133 MHz and higher memory modules will only run at maximum of DDR4 2133 MHz due to IntelR chipset limitation when using Skylake CPU.
2. DDR4 2400 MHz and higher memory modules will only run at maximum of DDR4 2400 MHz due to IntelR chipset limitation when using Kabylake CPU.

this board WILL NOT run 3000+ ram.. unless you know better than the manufacture, bets he can get will be 2400Mhz.

Can you slap a 3600 mhz ram on it, sure, it will run at 2400 at best .. and since you cannot overclock ram on a H110 motherboard why bother spending extra cash on a 3600Mhz ram when you can get more ram as 2133/2400 for less.

tgimike

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
I bought 16gb of ram and It did little to nothing aside from my 12gb I have running in flex. (so naturally I'm returning it ;p). Found out also that there's a pretty big memory leak surrounding bo4 and has yet to be fixed. Aside from the other games - undervolting seems to give me some fps boost. Thanks all!