[SOLVED] PC Under performing

imranmoosa9

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017
Hi.

I've gotten a new PC recently and I feel like it is under performing. I've been benchmarking on a few games because it has been feeling quite slow. To my surprise, the same benchmark done on someone else's slightly inferior PC has achieved greater results.

Temperatures have not been a problem, I have monitored them consistently and GPU temps are between 55 and 70 degrees and CPU between 60 and 70 degrees.

All drivers up to date, anti virus/malware scans done multiple times, windows update up to date.

Specs:
CPU- i5 9600k
COOLER- Coolermaster Hyper 212L MoBo- ASUS Rog H370-F
RAM - 1 x 16 GB DDR4 2666mHz
GPU- Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 SUPER
SSD- Kingston HyperX Fury 480 GB
PSU-Corsair RM650
OS- Windows 10 Pro

Thank you so much.

Imran

Solution
I have updated all of my drivers of MB manually. BIOS is on latest version. And high performance is switched on.

Ah okay, would that be the primary cause of this under performance? If I do purchase a new RAM stick, does it have to be the same brand and size ? Is it possible if I can add an 8 GB stick and still work ?

But thank you so much, I had no clue that single channel ran had an effect on performance
There is no guarantee mixed RAM will work (mixed RAM also includes RAM of the exact same model). So you could, but there's no guarantee it will work. I was actually explaining this earlier so I'll quote it below:

Memory is sold in packs for a reason, and only the memory modules sold in the same pack are guaranteed...

imranmoosa9

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017
Also are all your MB/Chipset drivers up to date as well as other ones?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Have you set Power mode to High performance?
I have updated all of my drivers of MB manually. BIOS is on latest version. And high performance is switched on.

That will be part of the degradation, you're running single channel.
Dual channel RAM is much more optimal.

Ah okay, would that be the primary cause of this under performance? If I do purchase a new RAM stick, does it have to be the same brand and size ? Is it possible if I can add an 8 GB stick and still work ?

But thank you so much, I had no clue that single channel ran had an effect on performance

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

There is no guarantee mixed RAM will work (mixed RAM also includes RAM of the exact same model). So you could, but there's no guarantee it will work. I was actually explaining this earlier so I'll quote it below:

Memory is sold in packs for a reason, and only the memory modules sold in the same pack are guaranteed compatibility. This is because the manufacturing process for the modules change frequently and sometimes substantially. So theoretically you could have 2 of the exact same memory modules, but from 2 different packs, that don't behave well with one another.

This is why manufacturers only guarantee compatibility in the form sold (from the same pack). Making sure that they are the same model, or timings, or latency, is just a way of trying to minimise the risk, not eliminate it.

The manufacturing of RAM (and almost any PCB or chip) is actually a very delicate process, it is performed in very highly regulated clean rooms, and the material that goes into those components are also very delicate to change.

Each chip is cut out of silicon, and that silicon can be prone to various impurities or contamination even simply from dust, which can affect the compatibility of the modules. The point being, is they pre-determine the modules that will go in a pack, manufacture accordingly, and then test them on a system together at the end, so by all accounts, there are no guarantees thereafter.

You can actually buy 2 of the EXACT SAME MODEL RAM, but from 2 different packs, and they can (and have) not be compatible.

So does it not work all of the time? No, there are plenty of times where it does work.
But is it a gamble? Absolutely yes.
Part of the problem is, is if it DOES actually affect the performance of the RAM together, how likely would you be to notice it? Not at all unless you encounter obvious stop errors or crashes for example.

They may place nice, or they may stop your PC from booting at all, and in many cases, they work fine, but may cause instability later when you start overclocking, or changing platforms for example. And as USAFRet states, this becomes even more complicated when you mix sizes, speeds, ranks etc.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution