PC underperforming badly!

Nika_YT

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
Hey guys, so recently I've noticed that my PC is underperforming and it is very weird and annoying. So whenever I play Star Wars Battlefront at the beggining I start with having 25-27 FPS and then after some time FPS jumps up to 60 (which is what it is supposed to be). On the same settings back in the day I was able to run game at 60-65FPS and now game starts with 25FPS then jumps to 60-65FPS and then again to like 40-45 and does this repeadetly. I also noticed that whenever it is in 25FPS, even if I run it at the lowest settings possible it still remains 25FPS so I dunno what's happening. Other games seem to run pretty well but this happens on SW:BF and also in Battlefield 1 Open Beta. Yesterday I was able to run BF1 at 50-60 FPS now at the same settings it can barely reach 30. This also happened on No Man's Sky, it was running at 25-30FPS all the time and once I just started Fraps and FPS jumped up to 40-45FPS and remained the same untill I stopped playing. The day after, I launched it again and it was still at 25-30FPS, I tried to run Fraps to possibly fix it to 40-45FPS but that "trick" didn't work that time. Please help and reinstalling the Windows is the last thing I want.

Specs:
CPU: X4-760k Quad-Core 3.9GHz.
RAM: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3.
GPU: R7-260x 2GB OC.

SweRobby

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
If the FPS jumps specifically between ~30 and ~60 i'm thinking it may be V-Sync without triple-buffering that might be the culprit. That would make the FPS dive down to ~30 the moment it went under 60. Can you check if activating triple-buffering in your AMD control panel can do it? Alternatively disable V-Sync in both the control panel and in-game and see if it still happens.

Do you have a Freesync monitor? That would obviously be better than using classic V-Sync.

Nika_YT

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

No I don't have a FreeSync monitor. Regardless of Vsync being on or off the FPS issue still remains. I've tried to set triple-buffering in AMD control center and that didn't help. Although it seems that GTA 5 has the same issue. Back then I was running it at 30-35FPS now on the same settings it is between 25-30FPS the most of the time. I don't know whats happening but there's a huge undeperforming issue with my PC. An also I did some overlocks before and I think that made the issue. I tried resetting BIOS and everything but no ot didn't help either.

SweRobby

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Interesting!

Can you see any processes that seem to use an abnormal amount of CPU utilization? Certain programs like the Blizzard Launcher i.e. can sometimes go on a rampage and consume tons of resources doing nothing at all. You could try a program like Process Lasso to get a more complete view of what could be the culprit than the task manager. Process Lasso can also help you try out different power management profiles.

The only way i can see this being anything but a software issue is if either your CPU or GPU need to throttle due to overheating. But that would mean that something has changed in their cooling. Are your dust filters clogged? Maybe a fan somewhere isn't spinning correctly? I think you should give a quick check on this just in case. But this still seems like a software issue to me.

I don't believe in re-installing the OS as a solution either. That's like telling people to turn their PC off and back on again. There's always a logical answer to be found somewhere.

Nika_YT

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

Actually I cleaned up my PC yesterday. And yes everything's fine in the case. I also spotted that whenever I launched SW:BF sometimes it would completely underclock my GPU to the lowest speeds. I checked them in MSI Afterburner and then uninstalled the Afterburner completely and then that wasn't an issue anymore. I spotted this underperforming problem after I failed to overclock my CPU. I tried to overclock it and didn't successed so it restored himself to defaults. I think I Fd up something there I dunno. Also I close everything in the background before launching any game and even use Razer Cortex. The usage of GPU and CPU are normal and so temps. I have an average of 35C on idle and about 65C on load on both GPU and CPU.

SweRobby

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
The sudden variations makes me think of the power profile. What about the OS power profile (which Process Lasso by the way could handle much better) and the AMD control panel power profile? GPU clocks locked to the lowest and FPS increasing when starting programs like Fraps also makes me think of power. Something is holding your components back.

Nika_YT

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

Alright I found out that only those two DICE games have the issue. I tryed multiple games and they seem to run perfectly fine. Even GTA 5 seem to be running normally. I think there's some kind of issue with these two games (SWBF & BF1) as they are made on the same engine. Maybe someone will find the fix for them, i dunno.

TRENDING THREADS