Question PC underperforming ( RTX3090 - Ryzen 9 5950X - 32gig 3600mhz - 570X Motherboard)

Aug 10, 2021
Hi,

I recently bought a new pc, since I thought that my 'old' pc had some issues that couldn't be resolved. I went a bit overboard and bought the following:

- Firebreather AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core (32 threads) 3.4Ghz (turbo: 4.9Ghz)

• Nvidia Geforce RTX 3090 24GB
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit
  • 2TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVMe PCI-E SSD
  • 32GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaws 3600mhz
  • X570 Motherboard
  • 1000watt power supply
My previous system had an i9 10850K, RTX3080, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz. The funny thing is, is that I was getting better performance out of that system than this one. It was a Omen pre-built machine (HP Omen GT13-0635nd) that overheated at times and sounded like a jet trying to take off everytime it was under some load.

XMP is enabled.

Below are my Novabench results:

CPU Score: 4303 (cpu percentile: 80th)Ram score: 344GPU Score: 1388 (GPU percentile: 47th)Disk Score: 263

These scores do seem to fluctuate quite a bit since I did multiple benchmarks and sometimes it's worse than the score above.

These are the Userbenchmark scores:

UserBenchmarks: Game 220%, Desk 103%, Work 273%CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 97.6%GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 - 229.7%SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 2TB - 427.8%RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600 C19 2x16GB - 109.3%MBD: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/45391897

It says the CPU is performing below expectations (38th percentile) and the GPU also 35th percentile).

For example; I run Escape from Tarkov on the following settings as per the Youtube video below and some settings even lower, but it doesn't seem to do a whole lot for the FPS (3440x1440):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YgFCMGizGc&t=1s&ab_channel=VoX_E

In a lot of cases, i’m getting only about 60-70 frames, and sometimes in the low 40s (Woods especially) while I got about 90 on my other system. It also fluctuates massively from 45 to 120 frames. Another funny thing to mention is that on Woods, looking at just the sky can give only a small increase of about 10 frames (84 frames looking at the sky with nearly all graphic settings low... Doesn't make sense) when compared to looking at at a busy area with lots going on. Also changing settings from low to ultra does barely anything for the fps. I also changed the Nvidea settings in the config screen as per the Youtube vid. I was getting a lot more frames on my previous rig, as well as with games like iRacing.The first thing I did when I got the pc, was to update the motherboard drivers and graphics drivers. I also applied the latest Geforce update as of August 10th. Windows is also updated and game-mode is off.

Could it be that there are settings in the bios that are wrong that are causing this performance discrepancy? A lot of lower end systems seem to perform better with Tarkov and iRacing than my system. My pc doesn’t have any overclocks or ‘weird’ software running in the background as it’s only a couple of weeks old and didn’t come preinstalled with bloatware.

What are obvious steps to do next to figure out what might cause my hardware to underperform?

Note: When I start the game (in this case offline mode) I often start with a locked 120fps, but the longer I stay in the game, the more it drops and the drop is extreme. Going from 120 to lower than 50's. Any idea what could cause that? My temps of the card stay below 83 degrees celcius (about 62 degrees celcius with a fan aimed at it) and the processor doesn't hit anything above 85 degrees celcius. I also followed the below optimization vid:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nowRW4riy-Y&ab_channel=Panjno

2nd Edit: I found another thing: When looking at the GPU usage and frames; the frames are the highest when the GPU usage is at the highest. Turning around and looking at something else, the frames drop with like 40-50 and the GPU usage drops as well to about 60%. So whenever the GPU load drops, I suggest it switches to the CPU? There's just no way for me to fix this I am afraid.

Last edited:
Did you do a fresh install? switching from intel to amd will cause a lot of issues.

Next click the start button and type Power & Sleep and click on it, on the right hand side under Related settings click on Additional power settings and set it to AMD Ryzen High Performance.

Aug 10, 2021
It's a completely new pc so everything is freshly installed. I am not seeing AMD Ryzen High Performance, but I was able to switch a setting from balanced to High performance.

Aug 10, 2021
Did you enable XMP, on your ram, and is it in the correct slots, for proper dual channel operation, per the motherboard manual? Are bios, chipset drivers, and graphics drivers up to date?
I checked, and there are 4 ram slots, but there's a stick in the 2nd and 4th slot. Is that correct? I had the PC built by a pc building company so I would've guessed they'd do it correctly. How do I enable XMP? I'm not extremely tech savy with pc hardware and software, but i'm learning :)

D

Deleted member 1560910

The fact your "old " PC is faster then most modern systems raises a concern. I think you New PC is running as expect. As long as you benchmarks are close to on par with other systems alike. Maybe the issue is with you as a gamer. Im not trying to get personal but trying to help

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Could you do a userbenchmark run? MAYBE something will stand out there.
Close the browser and other monitoring software before you run it though.
After it finishes and takes you to the results page, copy the url from that and post it here.

logainofhades

Titan
The fact your "old " PC is faster then most modern systems raises a concern. I think you New PC is running as expect. As long as you benchmarks are close to on par with other systems alike. Maybe the issue is with you as a gamer. Im not trying to get personal but trying to help

Their old PC was also a modern system. The FPS is lower on the new one. Gaming ability has 0 to do with FPS.

D

Deleted member 1560910

After it finishes and takes you to the results page, copy the url from that and post it here.
I agree USer bench mark will tell a good story

Aug 10, 2021

I have the feeling i'm not getting the performance I should get. I am aware that I might expect too much, although in this case I know I should get more performance.

Aug 10, 2021

These are the user benchmark scores:

UserBenchmarks: Game 220%, Desk 103%, Work 273%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 97.6%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 - 229.7%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 2TB - 427.8%
RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600 C19 2x16GB - 109.3%
MBD: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE

It says the CPU is performing below expectations (38th percentile) and the GPU also 35th percentile).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
These are the user benchmark scores:

UserBenchmarks: Game 220%, Desk 103%, Work 273%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X - 97.6%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 - 229.7%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 2TB - 427.8%
RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600 C19 2x16GB - 109.3%
MBD: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE

URL, please. The above is useless in that format.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing stands out as a serious problem.
Gpu: What kind of core temperatures do you normally see in game? Boost clocks are tied to operating temperatures and power load.
Vram temperature? Use hwinfo to see that one.
In Nvidia Control Panel, Power Management Mode wasn't left on Optimal, was it? Use either Adaptive or Max Performance.

Cpu: Temperatures? It's clocks are also influenced by temperature and power load.
Try going into bios and setting a static frequency of 4.4ghz. Note that this does not yield benefits all the time. It might work for the titles you play.

I see that the ram has slower timings, C19. This may also be having an effect, as Ryzen runs better with a combination of both higher frequency and lower timings.
3600 C16 is still the sweet spot in price to performance for Ryzen 5000, I think.
Intel cpu isn't quite as picky about ram frequency and timings.

Aug 10, 2021
Nothing stands out as a serious problem.
Gpu: What kind of core temperatures do you normally see in game? Boost clocks are tied to operating temperatures and power load.
Vram temperature? Use hwinfo to see that one.
In Nvidia Control Panel, Power Management Mode wasn't left on Optimal, was it? Use either Adaptive or Max Performance.

Cpu: Temperatures? It's clocks are also influenced by temperature and power load.
Try going into bios and setting a static frequency of 4.4ghz. Note that this does not yield benefits all the time. It might work for the titles you play.

I see that the ram has slower timings, C19. This may also be having an effect, as Ryzen runs better with a combination of both higher frequency and lower timings.
3600 C16 is still the sweet spot in price to performance for Ryzen 5000, I think.
Intel cpu isn't quite as picky about ram frequency and timings.

GPU temps are between 77-81 degrees celcius playing Tarkov (offline) and processer temp peaked at 81 degrees celcius. Max load of the GPU was 62 percent. I did notice that the frames dropped quite a lot when the game was running longer. Even just staring at a plain rock, whether that be 4k res. or 1080p gave me about 45 frames.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu Vram thermals - how high did that get?

I did notice that the frames dropped quite a lot when the game was running longer.
Performance dropping over time could mean a memory leak(check ram usage after things slow down).
Or it could mean something other than the cpu and gpu core is thermal throttling, and UBM finishes too quickly to show this.
Remove the PC's side panel, get a fan, aim it inside the PC, and see if things still slow down in game afterwards.

Aug 10, 2021
Gpu Vram thermals - how high did that get?

Performance dropping over time could mean a memory leak(check ram usage after things slow down).
Or it could mean something other than the cpu and gpu core is thermal throttling, and UBM finishes too quickly to show this.
Remove the PC's side panel, get a fan, aim it inside the PC, and see if things still slow down in game afterwards.

Did wat you said, but the frames still keep on dropping the longer i'm in the game with the card hovering at 64 degrees celcius. I installed memory cleaner but that doesn't improve it as well. Maybe a stupid question, but could it be that the graphics card isn't utilising all the 24gig of video memory it has?

Aug 10, 2021
That's something you wouldn't actually want to happen; it'd slow down if you actually maxed it out.
The vast quantity of ram on this card isn't related to its performance.

Hmm, now I'm stuck...

I found another thing: When looking at the GPU usage and frames; the frames are the highest when the GPU usage is at the highest. Turning around and looking at something else, the frames drop with like 40-50 and the GPU usage drops as well to about 60%. So whenever the GPU load drops, I suggest it switches to the CPU? There's just no way for me to fix this I am afraid.

Aug 10, 2021
image.jpg

Top image shows the GPU usage. After a few minutes, the GPU usage drops and so does the framerate. I switched the 3090 out for an 3080, but that also seems to do the same. What can cause this? I've overclocked the processor (with some help so that I did it correctly), but this has absolutely no impact on the frames. Temperatures also seem to be pretty good. Tarkov seems to use a lot of RAM so i enabled RAM cleaner, but this doesn't help.

image.jpg

This one shows the start of the game, then me just standing still doing nothing for 10 minutes. Started with 140+ frames, ended with about 60. Last minute I started moving again, but the GPU load keeps going down and frames are dropping.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021
CPU Paste
Premium CPU Thermal Paste - Lower Temps 5-10° C -

GPU Paste
Premium Graphics Card Thermal Paste - Lower Temps 5-10° C -

Power Supply
1000W GOLD POWER SUPPLY -

OS
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit -

HDD/SSD
Xidax Performance SSD 1TB -

Memory
DDR4 3600MHZ G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO- 64GB -

Graphics Card
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X BACKORDERED ETA 60 DAYS -

Processor
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X 16C/32T 4.9GHz BACKORDER ONLY -

CPU Cooling
DEEPCOOL CASTLE 360EX 360MM RGB XIDAX EDITION -

Motherboard
ASROCK X570 PG VELOCITA WIFI -

m.2 SSD
WD BLACK SN850 NVME GEN4 2TB M.2 -

I am having similar performance issues
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/45899343

I would expect my PC would blow things out of the water, but I'm already experiencing stuttering on my PC. Checked temps and drivers, everything seemed to be preforming within temp limits and up to date. This is driving me nuts, any suggestion would be welcome. I'm wondering if its a power supply or mother board issue

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Wisp-
I get the feeling your situation is related to thermals/power.
1)5950X should be able to push higher than the 4.4ghz multi core that UBM recorded it at.
Boost clocks are mainly tied to thermals and power consumption... but the bios might have something to do with it too, IDK.

2)Gen 4 NVMes get bloody hot - more specifically, the controllers do.
The NAND flash prefers to run warm, but the blasted controller on these things... lets say that if there isn't enough active cooling, they can constantly throttle themselves.
Those moments of throttling probably cause things to... 'skip'.
Don't install in the slot above the gpu, as that is THE WORST place to install them. It's an airflow deadzone, not to mention it's in the path of the power hungry 3090(the heat coming off of it) below it.
These drives need more active cooling - slapping a heatsink on it and calling it a day isn't enough for these. You need to consider the placement and system airflow.

3)3090 doesn't appear to be doing bad, but it'll likely sustain higher clocks with better cooling.
It and the Ryzen cpu both have turbo boost algorithms whose clocks are determined by their parameters - mostly thermals and power consumption.

Number 2 is the one I most suspect for the stuttering, but it's still a calculated guess.