Dec 21, 2020
Hello everyone, I am fairly new to PCs (in other words, I have no clue about them), I bought a pre-built PC almost a year ago, which is a highish end PC I guess, but have ran into FPS, connection issues and just overall the PC has never run at its best, but just recently I found out about user benchmark and tried a test. These are the results I got: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37248270
The PC seems to be underperforming, but honestly, I have no clue what any of this means or what I can do to fix it, if anyone can help in any way, I would greatly appreciate it!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
CPU likely is not overclocked, otherwise it is performing to spec. Your memory speed is quite low for a an unlocked CPU, and most people that buy these will have gotten something like 3200Mhz memory at the minimum.

Your other symptoms might be CPU throttling. What are you using for cooling?

Dec 21, 2020
CPU likely is not overclocked, otherwise it is performing to spec. Your memory speed is quite low for a an unlocked CPU, and most people that buy these will have gotten something like 3200Mhz memory at the minimum.

Your other symptoms might be CPU throttling. What are you using for cooling?
Hi, this is the exact cooling I'm using Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Okay, that is a little undersized for your CPU. Perfectly fine for stock speeds, but many Z motherboards will default to a high voltage, which may be causing undue heating in your CPU. You will want to monitor CPU temps using a tool like Hardware Monitor. If temperatures are getting above 90C or so you need to do something. Also look for boost frequencies to drop off.

I suggest looking up some overclocking guides so that you can learn to set the voltages manually. While that would be for overclocking, the reverse is also true. Lowering voltage until the point of instability then adding back a little.

Reactions: Chandler1x
Dec 21, 2020
Okay, that is a little undersized for your CPU. Perfectly fine for stock speeds, but many Z motherboards will default to a high voltage, which may be causing undue heating in your CPU. You will want to monitor CPU temps using a tool like Hardware Monitor. If temperatures are getting above 90C or so you need to do something. Also look for boost frequencies to drop off.

I suggest looking up some overclocking guides so that you can learn to set the voltages manually. While that would be for overclocking, the reverse is also true. Lowering voltage until the point of instability then adding back a little.
cpu temps seem to be in or around the 70 mark, I will however, take a look at some overclocking guides. would I still have to lower the voltage if I ended up picking up a better cooler? or would a better cooler work alone?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on your goal. You can get more performance out of the CPU through overclocking, why it is a K class chip and a Z class motherboard. Most of the people who brought a 9700k to userbenchmark will have overclocked, or at a minimum turned on multi-core enhancement (forces all cores to run at max boost, rather than only one) So that would explain your percentage deficit, though your low memory speeds are a contributor to that.

Your cooler is the equivalent of a decent air cooler. So you have some room to overclock, but maybe not as much as with a 240mm radiator or a very high end air cooler.

Reactions: Chandler1x
Dec 21, 2020
I am a complete noob when it comes to PCs, like I don't know much at all! I use my PC for Fortnite and COD. However, my PC is underperforming according to userbenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37344024 , and I get bad stutters and fps drops in game(Fortnite being very heavily CPU based). My specs are:
RTX 2070 8gb
I7 9700K 4.9GHz
16gb RAM 2400 MHz
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming
600w PSU
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L
also a 2TB HDD
Should I overclock this? Like is it worth overclocking/ will overclocking fix my stutter and performance issues? any sort of info, articles, videos etc is appreciated on this, as I am only starting to learn about PCs. if anyone needs/wants any other tests done, for more info, let me know. Thanks.