Question PC Underperforming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
I've had my 3080 for a little over 4 months now, and i must say I'm not as blown away as i thought i would be. Looking at benchmarks from other people with similar builds makes me realize that my rig might be underperforming. In certain games like far cry 6 I dont expect much since ubisoft games usually arent well optimized for PC, but for others im usually sitting 40+ FPS under other peoples 1% lows. For example in my most recent session of Far Cry 6 i recorded an average 70+ FPS or so at 1440p ultra settings with HD textures, while others reported up to 110fps+ average. My GPU and CPU are almost always sitting around 40-50% usage as well. Is there something Im missing here?

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (PBO ON, 4.05 Clock)
CoolerMaster ML360R AIO
ASUS ROG STRIX X570 GAMING-F
TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB 3600MHz CL16
ASUS TUF 3080 OC
7 Total case fans (three in front with radiator, three on top for exhaust, 1 in back for exhaust)
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1 TB
Samsung 860 EVO SSD 1 TB
Corsair RMx (2018) 750W PSU

Any response welcome!

EDIT 1: Updated my bios and was rewarded with a mild performance increase, but nothing close to what most people are experiencing with my hardware.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No idea. Not sure what you mean by PBO on (4.05 clock) either. I get 4.28GHz all core and 4.4GHz on 1-4 cores, pbo off, on my 3700x After undervolting and no OC or set clocks.

Might want to goto guru3d.com and lookup Dram Calculator, get Thaiphoon burner (that helps) and Clock Tuner2. You'll get higher TimeSpy, higher Cinebench and higher fps by running lower voltages and lower temps. There's tutorials on how to go about setting them up and once set, forget about them. Although I did make a dram profile in bios, just to save the settings elsewhere should I need to clear cmos.