Question PC Unexpected Restart

Apr 6, 2020
Issue:

• Unexpected restart happens at random.
  • Restart can happens during any use or task.
  • No blue screen during restart or error messages after restart.

Steps I’ve taken:

- Reviewed Windows Event Viewer, restart event is classified as critical “Kernel-Power”.

- Removed any new windows updates performed recently, issue still happens.

- Performed Windows Updates, issues still happens.

- Restore Windows to default settings ( left all personal data), issue still happens.

- Restore Window to factory ( All personal data removed), issues persisted.

- Performed all Updates, drivers update through windows updates, then proceeded with performing drivers updates for every components on my PC through its respective manufacturer’s website. Issues still persists.

- Ran Windows’s memory test, no issues found.

- Performed hard drives test through windows, no issues found.

- Performed a motherboard bios updates, issues still persist.

- Unexpected restart occurred while on the BIOS.

The steps above was performed to narrow down if issues was related to software problems. Due to issues also occurring while on the BIOS, I am starting to believe that issue may be related to one of the components on the PC.

Hardware troubleshooting taken :
  • PSU replaced by manufacturer a few months ago due to shutdowns issues ( old PSU turned off computer but would not turned back on until a few minutes passes by).
  • PSU was replaced with a new one with the same make and model.
  • Disconnected restart cables from PC case to motherboard, issues persisted.
  • Removed and re-inserted GPU to motherboard, issues persist.
  • Remove and re-inserted RAM stick to motherboard, issues persisted.

Need help to further isolate whats causing the issue.

• Considering using the PC without the GPU installed.
  • Reapplying thermal paste to CPU.
  • Using only one ram stick.

This is a custom PC built recently.

Part on PC are :

• CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Cores Processor.
  • GPU : Gygabyte Radeon 5700 XT 8GB OC Video Card.
  • Mother Board : Asus Tuff Gaming X570-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4.
  • RAM Memory : G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb (2 x 8gb) DDR4-3600.
  • Case : Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid-Tower Case.
  • Storage : Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5 Solid State Drive, Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-280 NVME.
  • Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply.
  • Cooler/Fan : Currently using Stock fan for the CPU, and the fans included with case to cool down my system.
  • Thermal Paste: Thermal paste that came already applied on the stock fan for the CPU.

Apr 6, 2020
Will contact manufacturer today for motherboard repair/replace services since its still under warranty. Before that though will try to reseat all cables that connects to the motherboard and see if there's any changes.

Apr 6, 2020
Reseated all cable. I believe that the 24 pin cable that connects to the motherboard was loosed because it was really easy to remove from the MB (when I usually have to remove it I have wiggled it multiple times just to make it easier to remove). Used the PC for about 5 hours after reseating the cables and no restart has happened yet. Will continue testing for the next day or two Just because the issue usually happens at random. If I cannot reproduce issues by end of the week, then I will assume that 24 pin connector was not plugged in all the way and it may have cause the issue.

Apr 6, 2020
  • I've been using the computer as I normally would (it has been a week since I reseated all the cable that connects to the motherboard)I have not experience any restart or power issues while using the computer, but after reviewing Windows Event Viewer that does not seems to be the case.
  • Apparently Windows logged 2 Critical Kernel-Power logs in the last 7 days.
  • Reviewed the date and time this logs were recorded by windows and I believe that this logs may be false because while using the computer during this time I did not experience any restart/shutdown issues.
  • I also believe that the times recorded for Kernel-Power event on Event Viewer may reflect the time when the PC was actually turned on to be use on those days.
  • Based on my memory, I do not recall any power issues while the PC was turning on and booting to windows.
  • Will continue review and monitor PC behaviors to see what's actually triggering the Critical error of Kernel-Power through Event Viewer.