PC Unstable after a few hours of usage, inlcudes various BSODS, potential hardware problem?

Jan 5, 2019
Hello all,

My computer has been gradually developing problems ever since I built it in 2017, and I can't really tell what the problem is or how to solve it because it's so obscure to me. So this is the problem: after my computer is on for more than about 7 hours, Windows begins to crash and will begin to crash nonstop the longer the system stays on. This happens daily regardless if the computer is idle or under any kind of load. Booting in safe mode doesn't work either. The Bsods I receive during these crashes include: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE, CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. In WhoCrashed, its reports ntoskrnl.exe or ntkrnlmp.exe being the cultprit. WhoCrashed also says no third party drivers have caused the bsods. I have ran Memtest86 on both RAM sticks and in different slots and individually and results in no errors found. Even without the GPU and only my OS drive plugged into the mobo, my pc still has this habit to crash. The only crude semi-solution I putted up with is to simply turn off my pc for about an hour but it's not worth the time wasted.

Like seriously, I can't tell what's causing my pc to behave this way. All the drivers of their respective devices are up to date, and the BIOS is running on default aside from XMP being enabled. I get Bsods with and without XMP, and manually setting the BIOS settings so the RAM can run at the correct timings and speed. An example of this problem was when I was stress testing my system using Aida64 and Prime95 all morning and everything seemed fine, until the evening where my system crashes multiple times. And before I get a bsod, I see some programs and background tasks begin to fail, close and won't be able to open again. Even reinstalling Windows and letting it idle right after re-installation still results in crashing. Pretty much my system must crash once its been on for more than a few hours regardless of what I've have done so far software wise.

I don't think that thermals are a problem, the highest temperature I've ever seen the mobo's VRMs is 55 Celsius and my Cpu is usually at 30-60 Celsius and my Gpu doesn't hit high temps unless its under load at 79 Celsius tops. The system still crashes when the case panels are open. And considering that my chassis is a BeQuiet Dark Base 900 with 4 fans installed, I doubt that thermals is an actual issue, but I'm still skeptical about it.

As for the PSU, I can probably see it as the problem but it functions fine when I tested it to power a spare system I had and it works just fine for the whole day. The only variable that I see that can affect the PSU in my system directly is the pass through power cable from the chassis that is plugged into, which is then plugged into the main power cable then to a surge protector then the wall outlet.

Physically all the PSU cables are secure at each connection to their proper places and the components are securely in place. And there appear to be no signs of physical damage on any of the components.

Other things to take into account is that the BIOS reports the input voltages as follows: 12v at 12.184v, 5v at 5.034v, 3.3v at 3.3v. Clearing CMOS doesn't solve the problems. Intel's Processor Diagnostic Tool reports no errors about my Cpu. Windows also reports LiveKernelEvent code 141. I'm not running any third party virus protection software, just windows defender. Using sfc/scannow reports no issues, but reports issues once the bsods happen. Crash loops sometimes happen when I keep my system on after the first few system crashes. Windows is perfectly stable when booting up the next day. Some system restore points don't work when I turn my pc back on the next day after the night prior with having various bsods.

The things I haven't done or checked for yet is if there is a bent/offset motherboard socket pin, re-seating the Cpu and checking for any abnormalities on the Cpu contact pins. Using spare PSU cables since the PSU is all modular and a cable may be faulty. Re-installing the Cpu cooler (Corsair H55). And plugging the PSU without the chassis' pass through cable.

I'm running out of options before getting replacement parts but I'm still open to any help you guys can provide!

Thanks

System specs:
Intel i7 8700 (non-K)
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (BIOS and drivers are up to date as of writing this)
2 x 8gb Corsair memory at XMP 2666 (verified on Gigabyte's webpage)
EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black (at stock and latest drivers)
EVGA 850 G3 PSU
Samsung 960 Evo as my Windows 10 Pro (ver. 1809) drive (latest driver)

Jan 5, 2019

Yes, my bios settings are at their default, but even at default settings I still run into crashes. The only overclocking I'm doing now is enabling the XMP profile on my ram to run at 2666mhz, my system has crashed before both with and without XMP enabled. And the problems persist even after clearing the cmos and re-installing the motherboard battery.