[SOLVED] PC up/down speeds slower than phone

Nov 19, 2020
Hi All,

Apologies if I miss some key information here, please let me know if I do. Any help at all is appreciated.

I upgraded this morning to 'fibre to the house' in the UK, and speeds have not changed on my PC, I'm still around 30 down / 10 up. On my mobile I'm now getting 129 down / 30 up. I'm in the same room, pinging the same server on Ookla.

According to my router settings (BT Smart Hub 2) my wireless adaptor in the PC isn't dual band and is running on 2.4GHz, but I have an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC1365, built in to a Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 mobo.

According to a WiFi analyser the smart switch feature of the router is doing it's job and I'm on the least congested channels for both frequencies, but it's showing me as connected via protocol 802.11n instead of 802.11-ac (the app I have on my phone doesn't tell me which protocol it's using).

I'm fully up to date on the latest drivers, windows updates/feature version, and I'm on BIOS F14, 15a and 15b don't appear to be relevant. Windows 20H2 is fairly consistently throwing memory management BSODs though so I'm likely going to have to roll back.

I guess the question is, what else can I try to enable 5GHz / 802.11-ac on my PC please? Assuming that would resolve it.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Solution
if you are not picking up the signal for a wireless AC connection, than it is more than likely an issue with your PC's onboard Wi-Fi. perhaps try a 3rd party PCIe card.
before that though I would try a fresh install of Windows and all latest motherboard drivers. you never know when your OS may have unnoticeable conflict, corruption, etc.

or just use a wired connection.
if you are not picking up the signal for a wireless AC connection, than it is more than likely an issue with your PC's onboard Wi-Fi. perhaps try a 3rd party PCIe card.
before that though I would try a fresh install of Windows and all latest motherboard drivers. you never know when your OS may have unnoticeable conflict, corruption, etc.

Solution

cyrill5

Prominent
Feb 28, 2021
im sorry what is the reason why you suspect your gear for no additional speed. first are you really sure that isp dont <Mod Edit> you and it is a legitimate upgrade. maybe you can test it with other laptop barrow from neighbors to test that it is really an upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 19, 2020

Thanks John, I'll look in to getting a card. It's probably windows but my OS is so ***cked I can't even do a fresh install, fails every time.

Nov 19, 2020
im sorry what is the reason why you suspect your gear for no additional speed. first are you really sure that isp dont <Mod Edit> you and it is a legitimate upgrade. maybe you can test it with other laptop barrow from neighbors to test that it is really an upgrade.
Hey Cyrill, the speeds I'm getting on my mobile are 4x better than before the upgrade, it's just the PC not getting an improvement.

It's probably windows but my OS is so ***cked I can't even do a fresh install, fails every time.
you have the option to erase system partitions and format the entire drive when performing a fresh install. just use that method.
if Windows still fails to install, than it could be an issue with your disk.