[SOLVED] PC update. What would you do?

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
I have two PC's

1. MicroATX. DDR2, SSD (C: Drive),, Athlon. Works fine. Oldest...8 years maybe..

2. MicroATX. DDR3. SSD (C: Drive), Phenom. Newer but still around 5 years.
This has never worked properly. Frequent crashes after startup. Corrupts data etc.. The error message changes often, ie.memory management/video tdr/attempt to write to read only/pagefile error. It's never consistent and sometime does not crash.

I recently bought a new motherboard, DDR4 16Gb, integrated graphics, a Ryzen 5600 chip.

I assume I should first update Number 2. And then 1, when I can afford the parts.
Or upgrade 1. and try to fix 2?

Last edited:
Solution
The new motherboard will be paired with the new Ryzen and the new DDR4. A fresh Win10 install is assumed. Although I wasn't sure if I could keep my current Win10 and transfer the digital licence.

My main question was update 1. or 2. but maybe it doesn't really matter.
The license is different than the actual install.
Many people don't realize this.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

If system 2 isn't currently working, then its mostly a no brainer.
What other parts? PSU, drives, etc.

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Either of those is basically a whole new system.

What parts are you considering bringing to the new motherboard?
This WILL need a fresh OS install.

The new motherboard will be paired with the new Ryzen and the new DDR4. A fresh Win10 install is assumed. Although I wasn't sure if I could keep my current Win10 and transfer the digital licence.

USAFRet

Titan

The license is different than the actual install.
Many people don't realize this.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Solution

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021

Thanks for the info. The other components are inaccessible at the moment. Both have Samsung SSD's and 500W PSU.

System 2 is currently working. Kind of. But it crashes 8/9 times a week. I'm just tired of putting up with it.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the info. The other components are inaccessible at the moment. Both have Samsung SSD's and 500W PSU.

System 2 is currently working. Kind of. But it crashes 8/9 times a week. I'm just tired of putting up with it.
What specific "500W PSU" ?
It makes a difference. If crap, you want to replace that as well.

And "crashes 8/9 times a week"? My system does not crash that much a decade. Seriously.