PC Upgrade Advice (motherboard)

AA1026

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Hello,

I have an aging PC (about 7-8 years now) that I built back in college. It’s been a great machine, but I want to take a little bit of time and money to give it an extra bit of umph. My needs are light gaming (occasional Halo/Farycry/KSP), CAD and Matlab along with regular office/email use.

• Core i7-930
• 6 Gigs of Ram
• GTX 460 Video card, 800MB.
• MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522)
• 500 Watt Power Supply

What prompted this upgrade is a very high-pitched alarm I am getting when I play any heavy game, even on light settings. I think it’s coming from the motherboard, but it’s so high-pitched that it’s hard to tell. I ran a temperature check at both idle and during the gaming alarm – it’s not pretty, particularly the motherboard (see attached).

Idle: Idle PC
Hot: Hot PC

Upgrades I am thinking of performing:
• Upgrade to 12GB of Ram
• Upgrade video card to GTX 1050 ti (best bang for buck)
• Upgrade processor heatsink
• Replace power supply (preventative). Maybe go to 750W?
• Reduce motherboard temperatures

Bit unsure of the last one… are there good LGA 1366 mobo’s still around? They all seem really expensive, but I don’t know if I should be trying to repair a motherboard of this age. I am also hesitant to buy used.

Am I approaching this upgrade the right way? I am hoping to keep the budget under $400.

Thanks in advance,

- AA1026

Solution
Hello... well... those prices are based on 'used' parts or ' discontinued" ...pricing takes time... the lowest cost 6000-7000 CPU would be a i3 or "G" model... BUT you always have the MB and socket to upgrade to a i7 model... so that would be the "lowest cost" to get you into these modern designed CPU's, MB's, and RAM...and all the other benefits with them... set your CPU model for a low cost model and get the quality RAM and MB you need/want. B /

the other common solution would be just getting the BEST CPU that your MB can run/handle... but then again finding a 'Used" "discontinued" MB replacement is going to be "money" wasted down the road. B / ...but maybe you don't need one. B /

BUT... basically back to your original problem...

AA1026

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

I see the cost per performance is much higher now, but the i7-930 cost is still listed as above $300, which is absurd for 2017.

Since I have the 930 now for free, will it be the bottleneck if I fix/replace the motherboard and add a better GPU? Unless you think I can put together a better performing GPU+Processor+Mobo for under $400.

Hello... well... those prices are based on 'used' parts or ' discontinued" ...pricing takes time... the lowest cost 6000-7000 CPU would be a i3 or "G" model... BUT you always have the MB and socket to upgrade to a i7 model... so that would be the "lowest cost" to get you into these modern designed CPU's, MB's, and RAM...and all the other benefits with them... set your CPU model for a low cost model and get the quality RAM and MB you need/want. B /

the other common solution would be just getting the BEST CPU that your MB can run/handle... but then again finding a 'Used" "discontinued" MB replacement is going to be "money" wasted down the road. B / ...but maybe you don't need one. B /

BUT... basically back to your original problem... "the high pitch squeal" ...I suggest rolling up a piece of paper, place to your ear and searching around your computer for the device creating it.

FAN bearings, rubbing Fan blades, GPU low Power warning, other? could be causing this... Have you tried to locate the cause/location of this noise?

Solution