MagnaFarta

Reputable
Jun 9, 2017
Hi all,

I was pointed towards the below template regarding request for PC upgrade advice - would appreciate your input.

Current gaming build

Approximate Purchase Date: no rush, but within next few month

Budget Range: approx £300 on top of whatever i make selling the current components (approx £100-200...but this depends upon what you recommend I upgrade).

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g. gaming and VR gaming. Current set up is fine for counterstrike, but my main motive for the upgrade is I really want to play Alyx with my Oculus Quest 2, and i do not think my current set up is good enough.

Note - Alyx min spec:
Processor: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX 1060 / RX 580 - 6GB VRAM

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866
(....possibly if you say so) Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8 GB GAMING X

Do you need to buy OS: No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (uk based; scan, amazon, pc world, etc

Parts Preferences: No pref. I've always been AMD, but happy to flip to intel

Overclocking: Maybe. I've tinkered previously, but would rather not need to have to

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. No pref

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: Basically, is there a way to fix my current build so it can play Alyx via VR. If not, then whats a decent - but not too expensive - upgrade.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Current set up is fine for counterstrike, but my main motive for the upgrade is I really want to play Alyx with my Oculus Quest 2, and i do not think my current set up is good enough.

Cheers

Solution
Why not buy the game and see how you do?
Then upgrade what you need to.
Assuming the minimum specs are correct, your processor is not adequate.
The FX-6300 has 6 threads and a passmark rating of 4113. That is when all 6 threads are fully utilized. The weakness is the single thread rating of 1476. That is what most games depend on.

The i5-7500, one of the minimum processors has only 4 threads but a rating of 6138/2289.
The other r5-1600 has 12 threads and an impressive rating of 12418, but a modest single thread rating of 2089
Of note is the adequacy of the 7500 with only 4 threads.

You can translate $ to pounds, and your shopping options may differ.
To fit your budget, look at the $115 i3-10100. It has 8 threads and a rating...
Why not buy the game and see how you do?
Then upgrade what you need to.
Assuming the minimum specs are correct, your processor is not adequate.
The FX-6300 has 6 threads and a passmark rating of 4113. That is when all 6 threads are fully utilized. The weakness is the single thread rating of 1476. That is what most games depend on.

The i5-7500, one of the minimum processors has only 4 threads but a rating of 6138/2289.
The other r5-1600 has 12 threads and an impressive rating of 12418, but a modest single thread rating of 2089
Of note is the adequacy of the 7500 with only 4 threads.

You can translate $ to pounds, and your shopping options may differ.
To fit your budget, look at the $115 i3-10100. It has 8 threads and a rating of 8949/2648.
It is a fine budget gaming processor.
Here is a review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
You will need a lga1200 socket motherboard. They start around $70.
A 2 x 8gb DDR4 ram kit of 2666 speed will be about $60.

Your current RX480 is in the same performance class as the minimum graphics cards so see how you do with it.
A graphics upgrade if you need it is easy.

Solution