[SOLVED] PC Upgrade Advice

Nov 29, 2021
Hello! so recently i've been wanting to upgrade my pc since the pc i have know is sort of cursed. It really commonly run into problems and i have to go repair it over and over again.
Though I only want to upgrade my CPU, GPU, and Monitor only if possible (to match my current specs) Here are a few things i play and do on my pc (to give a better image on what specific GPU and CPU i need)

I usually tend to favour games such as RUST, Valorant, Monster Hunter World, Apex Legends, basically any FPS game. I also tend to stream or put apps in the background to clip or record my gameplay.

My budget =700$
Specs i currently have
Kingston Fury 8x2 GB 3200 mhz
AMD ryzen 5 2400 g (im using the intergrated graphics)
ASROCK A320-HDMV
Kingston SSD
SEAGATE HDD 1 TB
Coolermaster MWE 450

Thanks for the help!

Solution
Hello! so recently i've been wanting to upgrade my pc since the pc i have know is sort of cursed. It really commonly run into problems and i have to go repair it over and over again.
Though I only want to upgrade my CPU, GPU, and Monitor only if possible (to match my current specs) Here are a few things i play and do on my pc (to give a better image on what specific GPU and CPU i need)

I usually tend to favour games such as RUST, Valorant, Monster Hunter World, Apex Legends, basically any FPS game. I also tend to stream or put apps in the background to clip or record my gameplay.

My budget =700$
Specs i currently have
ASROCK A320-HDMV
Kingston SSD...

My budget =700$
Specs i currently have
ASROCK A320-HDMV
Kingston SSD
SEAGATE HDD 1 TB
Coolermaster MWE 450

Thanks for the help!

Hi... you have lots of options for upgrades with that system that should give you a big jump in performance....

Given your list of games are all competitive online fps type games then higher frame rates are probably a better target than max quality visuals - so I think you would benefit from a cpu upgrade (if you were looking more to play slower paced games at max quality graphics settings you could potentially keep the 2400g and add spend most of your budget on a graphics card, however I think the 2400g will cap the max frame rate you are going to be able to hit in many titles).

Here is the cpu support list for your motherboard:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A320M-HDV/index.asp#CPU

Some A320 boards do support Ryzen 5000 cpu's however it doesn't appear this board has had the update for that (at least to date) so your best option is to upgrade to a Ryzen 3000 series part - these are actually quite a bit faster although I would avoid the '3000G' series cpu's with integrated graphics as these are effectively just rebrands of the '2000G' series models so wouldn't give you much benefit from what you already have. The models to look at for gaming are either the Ryzen 5 3600, or Ryzen 7 3700X, both of these would give you a nice bump in performance. The only caveat is neither of these options have onboard graphics so you would need to look at a graphics card to go wit them. Also makes sure if you upgrade to a Ryzen 3000 cpu that you update your motherboard bios before installing the new part.

You should be fine to keep your current memory kit.

Graphics card wise, prices have been really high however they are getting much better. In terms of what to get, the RTX 3050 is a decent card that doesn't require masses of power and should work well with your machine. Last gen cards like the RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 series are also worth looking at depending on prices. On the AMD side of things, avoid the RX 6500 XT - due to the PCIe connection it uses it's crippled on machines with a PCIe Gen 3 interface like your mothebroard, however the RX 6600 series cards are fine and would work well with your system. The older RX 5500 XT would also be fine (it's actually a faster card than the newer model). The only note of caution is you might need to look at upgrading your power supply to keep up with a dedicated card. You will probably get away with it with the lower tier cards like the 3050 / 5500 XT but higher models will probably need something that can supply a bit more power than 450W. Something in the 600W+ range (ideally with at least 80 Plus Bronze rating) would be a good idea, although this will eat into your budget a bit more.

Solution
Nov 29, 2021
Hi... you have lots of options for upgrades with that system that should give you a big jump in performance....

Given your list of games are all competitive online fps type games then higher frame rates are probably a better target than max quality visuals - so I think you would benefit from a cpu upgrade (if you were looking more to play slower paced games at max quality graphics settings you could potentially keep the 2400g and add spend most of your budget on a graphics card, however I think the 2400g will cap the max frame rate you are going to be able to hit in many titles).

Here is the cpu support list for your motherboard:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A320M-HDV/index.asp#CPU

Some A320 boards do support Ryzen 5000 cpu's however it doesn't appear this board has had the update for that (at least to date) so your best option is to upgrade to a Ryzen 3000 series part - these are actually quite a bit faster although I would avoid the '3000G' series cpu's with integrated graphics as these are effectively just rebrands of the '2000G' series models so wouldn't give you much benefit from what you already have. The models to look at for gaming are either the Ryzen 5 3600, or Ryzen 7 3700X, both of these would give you a nice bump in performance. The only caveat is neither of these options have onboard graphics so you would need to look at a graphics card to go wit them. Also makes sure if you upgrade to a Ryzen 3000 cpu that you update your motherboard bios before installing the new part.

You should be fine to keep your current memory kit.

Graphics card wise, prices have been really high however they are getting much better. In terms of what to get, the RTX 3050 is a decent card that doesn't require masses of power and should work well with your machine. Last gen cards like the RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 series are also worth looking at depending on prices. On the AMD side of things, avoid the RX 6500 XT - due to the PCIe connection it uses it's crippled on machines with a PCIe Gen 3 interface like your mothebroard, however the RX 6600 series cards are fine and would work well with your system. The older RX 5500 XT would also be fine (it's actually a faster card than the newer model). The only note of caution is you might need to look at upgrading your power supply to keep up with a dedicated card. You will probably get away with it with the lower tier cards like the 3050 / 5500 XT but higher models will probably need something that can supply a bit more power than 450W. Something in the 600W+ range (ideally with at least 80 Plus Bronze rating) would be a good idea, although this will eat into your budget a bit more.
Hey! Thank you so much for the detailed reply. i'm very grateful for the answer and i will make sure to notes these things down!

Nov 29, 2021
You could also go with something like this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MyJrVw

Slightly more money, but this should do very well. Might consider a R5 5600X with a suitable mainboard, but this would be the faster system.

Edit: there are also cheaper mb options available for this CPU. The linked one is just one of the best for the price.
I see. ill talk to my advisor and see how it goes. Thank you for the reply!

Hey! Thank you so much for the detailed reply. i'm very grateful for the answer and i will make sure to notes these things down!

Here is a pcpartpicker list that keeps your existing motherboard:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V4Rwhk

I have included a PSU, and that all comes in under budget.

Cofastic is correct that going with either Intel 12 Gen, or looking at the R5 5600X will give you more cpu performance so might be worth the extra cost, if you don't mind rebuilding your system from scratch. The advantage of going with the R5 3600 is it's a drop in upgrade (just update your bios to latest version then swap the CPU).