PC Upgrade and hardware transfer

funkin182

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Hi there!

I want to upgrade my motherboard and cpu! I plan to transfer what i have in there now to my parents computer as an upgrade to their system. My issue is with windows 7 as i have heard upon installation they tag some of your hardware and wont run with other cpus or motherboards.

My question is, if put my motherboard, cpu and harddrive (OS) into my parent's pc (with its original ram, gpu etc) will the computer work as if it was still in my computer? Then i could just put the new motherboard in with a fresh hdd and fresh w7 install.

Thanks!

Frank

You should probably list specs first. Always be sure to check compatibility. If all is compatible, yes that could be done. I've switched my 555 into my dads computer while upgrading my 555 to a 955 it'll work fine. The thing is you should wipe the drivers off the HDD before installing into your parents computer.

funkin182

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
So currently my computer has a gigabyte p55a UD4 with the i5 i think 750? But i'm running into troubles running my pci firewire chipset (needed for audio recording) in the pci slot - as the motherboard doesnt have onboard. Theres a gigabyte 1155 mb which has the exact firewire chipset im after so will probably put the new i5 in that for my computer.

That would mean im putting my 1156 board into ma's computer, ill probably buy new ram and just give her the 4gigs thats in there. Currently her pc is a dell xps 420, so its not homebuilt, and it runs vista. She needs w7 so i want to know whether it would be okay for me to install the new gear and keep my windows 7 or whether it will be tagged to the gear im moving to mums computer in which case ill install a new copy of windows with the 1155 setup in mine?

My plan is to backup her files and wipe her hardrive so she can use it as extra storage. So unless there would be a problem with me using the power supply (it has enough power) and gpu thats in the dell, things should work.