[PC Upgrade] Buying new parts at the end of this month.

Arahor

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Hello

I'm going to upgrade my PC by the end of this month i decide. I have been looking through some parts trying to decide what to go for. My biggest concern is lying at the motherboard and the cooling for the new cpu.

This is my current build below.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hkyM3b

And this is what i'm going to build at the end of the month. (new cooling, cpu, motherboard, memory.)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7kRdFt

I'm not sure if my current cpu cooler will do the job for the new cpu. Hence why I have chosen to get a more brutal cooler. Also I'm not 100% sure about the motherboard, if anyone has any input or advice for maybe another motherboard that might be better for same amount of money then be my guest and let me know.

Regarding my GTX 980. I'll be trying to pick up a 1080TI later this year, as for now I think it will do great and it's the newest component in my computer (less then two years or so).

I'm also thinking about replacing the Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory for G.SKill Trident Z RGB DDR4 RAM 16 GB (I've heard some good things about them, link to them below.)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232483

And It's not impossible, depending on my wallet. That I'll also add a Samsung 970 EVO Series MZ-V7E500BW 500GB SSD to the build as well, not 100% sure about it yet, as i said, it depends on my wallet, if i can save money on the motherboard/cooling by getting something better for a lower cost then this will probably find it's way into the build by the end of this month.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147690

My PSU is about 4 years old now, the new system will require less watts then the current system i run if it's accurate on the pcpartpicker website, also 850w should be plently even due to it's age.

My overall budget is around
1 139$(970€ or 858£ or 10 000SEK)

Any advice or suggestion is appreciated. Or if you think this looks fine then that helps too, any input is a good input.

Thanks in advance.

It is a really solid upgrade. the 8700k is the best gaming CPU on the market and the Noctua NH-D15 is one of the best air coolers on the market. I would say go with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut instead of artic silver.

The ROG Maximum x Hero is a high end motherboard too.

As far as the RAM, you will see no noticeable difference between Corsiar Vengeance and G.Skill Trident Z. I would go with the cheaper of the two.

NVMe drivers are faster than SATA drives, but really not for daily computer or gaming workloads. I have a 960 EVO and I cant tell a difference between it and my 850 EVO. It is not really worth the extra cost in my opinion.

With all that being said, you could lower the price tag of this build and get very similar, if not the same performance. I would go with cheaper RAM. You can get 3200mhz speed DDR4 RAM for $40 less than what you selected. It will perform exactly the same.

You are also not gaining much with the Maximus Hero. I would get the Asrock Extreme4 Z370. It has good features for a good price. The Maximus cost $120 more and you might get 100mhz higher OC.

Jul 11, 2018
If you looking upgrade CPU in future, you probably go for AMD instead,

Anyway, the only question is do you need high-end motherboard?
A mid-range $170 motherboard can do most of the job.

SSD - I assume the price is wrong?

Arahor

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

I'm looking into my options on RAM. 3200mhz is what i prefer at minimum, I could stretch to 3600mhz if it will be a noticable difference.

Regarding the motherboard. I only picked the Maximus Hero because I got a ASUS atm and I kinda like the brand, but I want a motherboard for good gaming, which led me to their ROG motherboards which iirc is their gaming variants (if that is any good).

As of Asrock Extreme4 Z370, It's surely a good price for it if it can perform likewise as the Maximus Hero, although my experience/knowledge with Asrock is minimal, but it's indeed 120$ cheaper.

Anything else you can tell me about Asrock if you got any history with their products maybe? I'll be looking them up a bit too after this post.

Arahor

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

Is the Ryzen CPUs really going that strong, I have had AMD my whole life, and compared to all my friends who have had Intel it's been the slowpoke, I've always had the feeling that my CPU has been a lackbuster. Hence why I'm taking the oppertunity now to change to Intel (have to change motherboard to a AM4+(?) for a Ryzen anyway). Although, I've heard some very good words and seen good benchmarks of the I7-8700K.

Regarding the motherboard. I don't really know if i need a high end. I want a very good motherboard of course that is very good for gaming but as i wrote to feelinfroggy777, I only chose the Maximus Hero because it's ASUS ROG and ROG is their gaming variants for their motherboards as far as i know but i might be wrong.

Do you have any recommendations for a $170 motherboard that is still high-end or on pair with the Maximus Hero? So far the Asrock Extreme 4 Z370 has been mentioned and the little i looked into into it, it sort of looked the same as the Maximus Hero, still have to look into it a bit more. But if you got any recommendations then please share, just know that I'll be using the PC for heavy gaming (but I guess you already figured that out).

As of the SSD. The Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 is currently ~200$ here in Sweden.

Jul 11, 2018
I mis-read the SSd...
However, have you consider 960 EVO instead. They are cheaper, and I doubt if you actually feel the difference.

AMD use same socket at least until 2020. You probably won't upgrade in 2 years anyway...

For Motherboard - May be Asus ROG Strix Z370-E?

Arahor

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

I checked up the 960 EVO. And was quite surprised, they are exactly the same price here as the 970 EVO. Both 500gb too. I did notice this message though on pcpartpicker when selecting the 970 EVO (or any M.2 SSD),

"The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled."

As i understand this, it wont be an issue because if it disables SATA port 1 and 2 I can easily just plug in my 2,5" SSD and my HDD in port 3 and 4 for example to avoid the issue, correct me if i'm wrong.

I'll look into the Asus ROG Strix Z370-E.

Arahor

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Also anyone knows (or even have this setup) if the Noctua - NH-D15 cooler will be able to keep the i7-8700k cool with good degrees and if so any insight on how much you achieve during idle and load?