PC Upgrade from 4th gen to 8th gen

Chase R

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
Hi looking to upgrade my PC from old gen 4th intel series, because my ram speed isnt enough anymore to keep up with my games and the memory is only clocked to 1300mhz.
Looking to go towards coffeelake and probably going to go with an i5 because i want to save a little money and I don't really want to spend $400 on a cpu again when it just gets outdated in a few years anyways. I read that the i5 doesn't have hyper threading but I don't know if that matters at all in the short run, looking to overclock the i5 8600k i am looking to purchase. Let me know if these upgrades will help, also looking to get a 4k monitor as well but don't know which one.

POSSIBLE UPGRADE:
Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
$249.99
MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
$104.89
Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
$179.99
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT PC:
Case: NZXT S340VR White
CPU: Intel i7-4790K
Cooler: Corsair h110 something
Graphics: MSI Duke GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II 240GB (Windows Install)
HDD: 3TB Seagate BarraCuda
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M

Solution
WAIT
faster ram does help the performance, but its increase actually very small. Here is a link that show the clock in ram is not necessarily important for e3 2018 games and app.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk

Your old build still capable on overcome any game you throw at it. Your new build might actually get lower performance for games that demanding more threads (i5-8600K only has 6 thread). Unless you getting i7-8th generation, I would not recommend you to upgrade at all since its still good enough.

Its your choice, but upgrading due to ram speed, its just not wise unless game maker suddenly make use for those high speed ram (which until E3 2018 still nowhere to be seen)

schaft

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
WAIT
faster ram does help the performance, but its increase actually very small. Here is a link that show the clock in ram is not necessarily important for e3 2018 games and app.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk

Your old build still capable on overcome any game you throw at it. Your new build might actually get lower performance for games that demanding more threads (i5-8600K only has 6 thread). Unless you getting i7-8th generation, I would not recommend you to upgrade at all since its still good enough.

Its your choice, but upgrading due to ram speed, its just not wise unless game maker suddenly make use for those high speed ram (which until E3 2018 still nowhere to be seen)

Solution
Go 2700x for 329$. Seriously, it is worth it for the difference.

As for compute at 4k, others are partly right, the CPU is not holding you, however your memory is a little bit.

I was having the same specs before my upgrade last year and I also tend to be using my PC at 4k for both. There is almost no differences.

However the multi-threading experience, OMG, it is night and day.

Last thing, get G.skill ram. I hate my Corsair, it is having issues at their rated speed.

Yeah, I kind of agree that your current CPU and RAM should still be reasonably capable. What resolution are you running now? At 4K resolution, your graphics hardware would limit performance in most recent games more than your CPU. In my opinion, the amount of performance to be gained with that upgrade is probably not worth $500+. An 8600K would probably only get you around 15-20% more CPU performance, and that will only matter in cases where a game's performance is CPU-limited, which will rarely be the case with recent games at high resolutions. For 4K gaming, you would likely get better performance by selling your existing graphics card, and getting something like a GTX 1080 Ti or RTX 2080 once those are available. You can probably hold off a little longer on a CPU upgrade, perhaps until the 7nm/10nm CPUs start coming coming out within the next year or two.