Pc upgrade help

Sep 24, 2018
Looking to possibly upgrade my pc later this year, but I've kinda been out of the loop on whats good and not good for the past year or so. I'll have around 400$ to use on parts, so any advice on what to get or look into would be very helpful, thanks!

current pc is :
Case: Coolermaster Haf 922
Processor: AMD FX-8320
Motherboard: Asrock 990FX Extreme3
Memory: 8GB ddr3
Graphics Card: GTX 970
Power Supply: Corsair CX600
Hard Drive: Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD
1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD

Solution
So CPU wise the FX series was never that good for gaming and will bottleneck mayn GPUS, but upgrading to anything modern will require DDR4 RAM. If you want to upgrade then either a i5-8400 or a Ryzen 2600 would be the best options. Obviously you'll need a new motherboard for either.

GPU wise the 970 is still a decent card that's very close in performance to the 1060 3GB. So any GPU upgrade would be a RX580, GTX 1060 6GB, 1070 etc.

Power supply is good, 600 watts is plenty for just about any set up, although if your CX600 is the one with the green lettering and not the grey and black, then you may want to upgrade it since the green lettering CX PSU are pretty bad.

If you are looking for a cheaper CPU upgrade then find a used...
So CPU wise the FX series was never that good for gaming and will bottleneck mayn GPUS, but upgrading to anything modern will require DDR4 RAM. If you want to upgrade then either a i5-8400 or a Ryzen 2600 would be the best options. Obviously you'll need a new motherboard for either.

GPU wise the 970 is still a decent card that's very close in performance to the 1060 3GB. So any GPU upgrade would be a RX580, GTX 1060 6GB, 1070 etc.

Power supply is good, 600 watts is plenty for just about any set up, although if your CX600 is the one with the green lettering and not the grey and black, then you may want to upgrade it since the green lettering CX PSU are pretty bad.

If you are looking for a cheaper CPU upgrade then find a used i7-4770 and motherboard, you can use your DDR3 RAM and it will smoke your FX in gaming

Solution