Question PC Upgrade Help!

Sep 26, 2019
Howdy,
Two years ago, I built my PC and find it completely suitable for every task. I'm an architecture graduate student at the University of Texas at Austin and primarily use Rhino with accompanying 3D rendering software’s. Thinking about jumping into Cinema 4D within the next few weeks as well. After noticing my PC becoming slower, and removed from the PC advances for some time, I’m wondering what upgrades I must do to stay on top. My build components are listed below:

Motherboard - MSI Z170A SLI
Ram - G-SKILLZ RIPJAWS V 8GB DDR4 (x2)
Power - EVGA 600B 80 plus Bronze
Processor - Intel Core i5-6600K Quad-core
Graphics Card – ZOTAC GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GB
Processor Fan – CRYORIG M91 Processor Cooler
Hard Drive – Toshiba 1 TB High-Performance P300 7200rpm 64 MB buffer

Thank you friends!

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Yeah, a 500 GB or 1 TB SSD with a fresh Windows install would speed things up. If you work with large files maybe you would want a new, bigger, HDD for storage.

Your CPU is growing old, but should be ok for a couple of years more. If you wanted a new system, I would have recommended the Ryzen 3700X or 3900X. They are great for rendering.

Sep 26, 2019
Solid state drive would give that machine a new lease on life. 500GB = $60

What's your RAM usage like while you're using those programs? 2x8GB = $65

Just running Chrome my memory jumps to 39% which seems a little strange. On heavy programs, the disk also jumps to 100% at times, my primary reason for looking to upgrade. Any particular brand for solid-state you find worthwhile?

Yeah, a 500 GB or 1 TB SSD with a fresh Windows install would speed things up. If you work with large files maybe you would want a new, bigger, HDD for storage.

Your CPU is growing old, but should be ok for a couple of years more. If you wanted a new system, I would have recommended the Ryzen 3700X or 3900X. They are great for rendering.

Can you switch from intel to Ryzen no problem?