[SOLVED] Pc Upgrade Help

Dec 20, 2019
Hey. I'm planning to upgrade my pc to a better one but don't know which components i should replace or change to.

Specs right now:

CPU: i3-8100
GPU: GTX 1060 3gb
RAM: 8GB DDR4
Storage: 200gb SSD, 1TB HDD
Motherboard: ASUS z370-p
Powersupply: 500 watt

Im kinda on a budget so I don’t want to spend to much. I only want to change the stuff thats crucial to my performance, for example do I need to upgrade the motherboard? I want to change like the graphics card because its getting old and doesn’t have a lot of vram. So keep in mind that I dont want to directly put more than 500 $ If I have to put more since something maybe will for example bottleneck then i want to upgrade slightly with time ( say what I should upgrade first in that case)

Solution
I have an Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500W for psu

Doesn’t DDR4 work with DDR4 i’ve read somewhere that the brand doesn’t matter.
Yeah, you'll definitely need a different PSU, that is a crap unit. For the RAM, the DDR4 spec ensures RAM-motherboard compatibility, but the two sticks of RAM you use need to be compatible WITH EACH OTHER as well, which can be a bit more tricky and much more trial and error. So, while any DDR4 stick can be installed in your system, the other RAM stick already present might not work well with the new stick. Here's the new part list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.97 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper Elite 8 GB (1 x 8 GB)...
Also, what power supply is that? Might need a better quality one for a good GPU, while 500 W is plenty but the quality of the PSU matters more than the wattage, for which we need the full model name of the PSU. Assuming the power supply is good enough, I'd upgrade the CPU, GPU, and get another 8 GB RAM stick. Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Patriot Viper Elite 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($314.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $497.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-10 22:45 EDT-0400

Keep in mind that the RAM must exactly match the one you have right now, it minimizes the chances of any issues with the RAM, but it is still possible that the two similar sticks do not work with each other and cause problems, so you might have to get the RAM replaced once or twice in case of such an issue.

Once more thing - you'll need to update your BIOS before swapping out the CPU, because Z370 motherboards might have an older BIOS that does not support 9th gen, but the board will support 9th gen after BIOS is updated to latest version.

Dec 20, 2019
Also, what power supply is that? Might need a better quality one for a good GPU, while 500 W is plenty but the quality of the PSU matters more than the wattage, for which we need the full model name of the PSU. Assuming the power supply is good enough, I'd upgrade the CPU, GPU, and get another 8 GB RAM stick. Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($314.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $497.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-10 22:45 EDT-0400

Keep in mind that the RAM must exactly match the one you have right now, it minimizes the chances of any issues with the RAM, but it is still possible that the two similar sticks do not work with each other and cause problems, so you might have to get the RAM replaced once or twice in case of such an issue.

Once more thing - you'll need to update your BIOS before swapping out the CPU, because Z370 motherboards might have an older BIOS that does not support 9th gen, but the board will support 9th gen after BIOS is updated to latest version.

Dec 20, 2019
Your 200gb SSD must be very old. What model is it? I think that is the first part i would upgrade.
I’m sorry I was wrong. I have an 120 GB Ssd. Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB. But do I really need to upgrade that. I only install for ex steam and apps like that, that doesn’t use a lot of space. Windows 10 is also installed on it.

Yeah, you'll definitely need a different PSU, that is a crap unit. For the RAM, the DDR4 spec ensures RAM-motherboard compatibility, but the two sticks of RAM you use need to be compatible WITH EACH OTHER as well, which can be a bit more tricky and much more trial and error. So, while any DDR4 stick can be installed in your system, the other RAM stick already present might not work well with the new stick. Here's the new part list:

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($321.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $564.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-11 08:36 EDT-0400

I know this is over budget, but you can sell off the older parts for some extra money, the i3 can definitely be sold, maybe the PSU too. If you want to stay under $500 still, you'll have to go with something like a 1660 Ti, which is still a decent upgrade over 1060 3 GB, but not as much as an RTX 2060.

Solution