[SOLVED] pc upgrade - need help

radzikpl

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2016
Hi.

I am thinking of upgrading my pc as it started to throttle up a bit lately. My main focus is on CPU. My current setup is as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor OCd to 4.6GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
RAM:
  1. Corsair CMK8GX4M2A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR4 2666 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance
  2. Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Power supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
SSD:
  1. SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  2. SanDisk SDSSDH3512G

I run 2 screens:
1x 27" 165mhz
2x 24" 144mhz

I mainly play Path of Exile, WoW, Witcher 3, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order and stream occasionally. It is streaming that started giving my pc a hard time, whereas some time ago it was fairly easy and smooth.

I would appreciate some insight on what to upgrade to benefit my needs the most.

Thank you!

Solution
The 3700x setup would make a solid streaming setup for sure. The rest of your system is pretty solid. The 1070 is still a great card for 1440, and you can always upgrade that later if the need arises. But I'm sure itll be a solid option for a couple more years.

How old is the psu? While good quality, if its 3-4 years old,you may want to consider replacing. But it should still do the job.

You may do a little more digging and see about the ram. If it can overclock up to the 3000 mark and stay stable, you might be able to keep it. But I would recommend replacing with a 2x8 kit, as linked. Make it a little easier for the cpu to run the ram, and help recoup some cost by selling your current board,cpu, and ram together. Even the i5 6600k...

radzikpl

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2016
again, I dont need the ram as I am running 16gb at the moment.
also, the 1st setup shows an incompatibility issue?
are ryzen really that amazing now? are intel not worth the price anymore?

The incompatibility is from the b450 board. But it's msi MAX line which is guaranteed 3rd gen ready out of the box. No worries there.

Yes I understand you have ram. But 2466 is considered slow ram for a ryzen setup and will hinder performance. It's also 4 sticks which is less than optimal. Ideally with ryzen you want 3000 or faster. With 3200 or 3600 being sweet spots, and differing very little in price.

Imo, yes ryzen is where it's at currently for price to performance. You'll lose a couple fps in max, but the lows are much better. Making an overall more playable and enjoyable gaming machine. Especially when considering streaming. Unless you have 9900k budget, intel is out, imo. The 9700k is ok, but lacks hyperthreading. The 9600k is only 6 core and is not even recommendable for streaming situations. The 9900k is still top dog, but pricey. Add an easy 200-300 on top of the 3700x build. As you'll need a z series board, 200. And a very good cooler, 360mm is usually recommended, add 150ish. Plus the cpu itself at 500ish.

Intel still has great gaming performance. But throw in streaming and the ryzen pulls ahead.

Reactions: radzikpl
If you can I'd hang on till later this year if you can. AMD may release the 4000 series Ryzen's and see what Intel is going to do.

Yes, Intel will produce the highest frame rates with the 9900K while the 9700k is hamstrung without HT.

I was on Intel pc's the last 10 years or so. Just built my first AMD rig since Athlon II days. The new AMD pc is killer fast and games buttery smooth at 1440p.

radzikpl

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2016
Oh I see, sorry for repeating myslef than.
I am not crazy about getting milions of fps, I care more about being able to have a steady performance while 2k gaming and streaming without having to worry about my pc frying and rendering low quality image for the stream.
So getting the 3700x setup would be best and guarantee everything I need? Also would it be compatible with the rest of my setup?

The 3700x setup would make a solid streaming setup for sure. The rest of your system is pretty solid. The 1070 is still a great card for 1440, and you can always upgrade that later if the need arises. But I'm sure itll be a solid option for a couple more years.

How old is the psu? While good quality, if its 3-4 years old,you may want to consider replacing. But it should still do the job.

You may do a little more digging and see about the ram. If it can overclock up to the 3000 mark and stay stable, you might be able to keep it. But I would recommend replacing with a 2x8 kit, as linked. Make it a little easier for the cpu to run the ram, and help recoup some cost by selling your current board,cpu, and ram together. Even the i5 6600k fetches a decent premium. Especially paired with a board and ram, ready to run.

Make sure to do a clean install of windows to avoid driver conflicts and you should be set.

Solution

radzikpl

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2016
The the entire setup excluding only the GPU is nearly 4 years old now.

Make it a little easier for the cpu to run the ram, and help recoup some cost by selling your current board,cpu, and ram together. Even the i5 6600k fetches a decent premium. Especially paired with a board and ram, ready to run.
Do these things even sell? mobo, cpu and ram together? it would be amazing to make some money back but I wouldnt know where to and how to advertise that.

Hey. Just a followup question. Does the motherboard suggested support overclocking? I noticed that CPU has a boost clock mentioned.
Yes the board will support overclocking. But on the 3xxx series it's not really recommended. PBO will offer the same if not better performance over an overclock. Sometimes an overclock will actually hinder performance. Do a little searching on it. Of course you can still mess around with and see what performance you can get. But if overclocking is on your mind you'll definitely want a nicer cooler than the factory cooler.

Reactions: GarrettL