PC upgrade: old graphics card vs new integrated GPU (core i5 6500) - which is better?

Supasox

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my PC and, as it has been a long time since my last PC upgrade, I'm having to catch up on the various hardware advancements that have taken place over the past few years, so I'd really appreciate any advice on the subject of GPUs.

I don't use my PC for gaming but I do a lot of photo and video editing. I have ordered a Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP Socket LGA1151 VGA DVI-D HDMI ATX Motherboard along with a new Intel Core i5 6500 CPU and 32GB of DDR4 RAM. All this has cost me a fair bit and so I'm going to have to wait before I can buy a new graphics card.

In the meantime, I understand that the i5 6500 has an integrated GPU. My current system has an old Nvidia Geforce 8800GT (512MB) PCI-E card. Until I can get a better graphics card, can anyone tell me which will be better: the once impressive but now antiquated 8800GT or the on-chip GPU of the shiny new i5 6500? I've no knowledge of how capable the iGPUs are on today's intel processors and I really don't know how to compare them to the 8800GT.

As for getting a 'proper' GPU (maybe in a month or two), does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably powerful but affordable card that might suit my needs? (new or used, I'm not proud). I can't really justify forking out for a top-flight gaming card - I just need something that's gonna comfortably handle the photo/video editing and not let the rest of the system down.

Thanks

Solution
The 8800 GT was left behind by intel IGPUs some time ago, you'll be crippling your performance if you use it instead of the 6500 IGPu, as for GPU recomendations, what do you plan to do? only editing? what programs do you use? Most of the job on photo/video editing is done by the CPU, so getting a dedicated video card may not even be necesary.

mlga91

Admirable
The 8800 GT was left behind by intel IGPUs some time ago, you'll be crippling your performance if you use it instead of the 6500 IGPu, as for GPU recomendations, what do you plan to do? only editing? what programs do you use? Most of the job on photo/video editing is done by the CPU, so getting a dedicated video card may not even be necesary.

Solution

Supasox

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

Thanks for your advice. I suspected that may be the case but I didn't know for sure. I edit DSLR photos - a mixture of JPEGS and RAW - these can be pretty big files. I use Paintshop Pro X8 for this. I also edit HD video using Cyberlink PowerDirector 14. It's not breakneck 3D rendering speed I need, it's computing power and memory. I think GPUs are my weak point knowledge-wise as I've never really played PC games and so GPUs have always been an afterthought for me.

So, you're saying if I bought a GPU that was better than the 6500's iGPU I wouldn't see a noticeable difference for the editing work?

Supasox

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

Thank you. I think I know which I'll be using!