[SOLVED] Pc upgrade or new monitor?

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
I've been lately improving and grinding CSGO a lot and im willing to get into higher waters and start playing more seriously But my hardware limitations are the problem. Here is my setup
i7 870 2.93ghz (cpu runs too hot on turbo so its on base clock even though turbo gives me 30-50 more fps)
msi gtx 560
4x2gb of ram ddr3 1333mhz
mbo p7h55 m pro
lc power 6650 v2.2
Patriot burst elite 120gb ssd and some seagate barracuda 250gb hdd
and some crappy old micro atx case
MONITOR: tesla 24mt600bf
This monitor is 75hz and it has screen tearing and some ghosting but what i need more is 144hz monitor and my budget currently is 200$ and what im wondering is should i just get 144hz monitor or should i get money for new pc and after that the monitor which could last up to a year... If the monitor is answer im willing to get new pc case and cpu cooler so i can run game on higher fps. What do you guys think, just keep in mind that i can get monitor+case+cooler right now and for new pc i would have to wait atleast 6-12 months + additional time for saving up for monitor

Solution
I can right now get a better case and cooling but still thats not gonna bring enough performance. Im waiting for new ryzen cpu's to get released and after they are im gonna HOPE that the gpu prices finally get back like they were and i can actually get a gpu and not buy a apu because i cant wait as long to get the money for cpu+gpu combo

Yea the new models would be a big boost, over what you have now, even the Zen 2 based chips. An i3 12100f would be a good option though, too, for lower budget. Just hard to find them, in stock, right now. You can reuse your GPU, until the time comes that you can get a new one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBDFCoGhZ4g&t=323
for any type of "serious" gaming i would definitely start with building a modern system designed for it.

i would start with the i5-12400F, 16GB of DDR4 3200-3600MHz, RTX 3000 series card and build on from there.

but if you're happy with what your current system can achieve go with the new display, a nicer case, and an adequate cooler for your future CPU.
there's really no way i'd choose a 1080p monitor for gaming so you may also want to consider upping your budget and altering your plan to include a nicer higher resolution display.
if you're not as concerned about image quality/sharpness vs price then maybe just get a higher range HDR 1080p screen to help with image quality some on the lower resolution.

cheaping out on an investment like this can lead to serious buyer's remorse down the line and can end up costing over twice as much if you then decide to upgrade at a shorter time period.
it's usually a better idea to get the best you can while you can and enjoy it as long as possible.

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
for any type of "serious" gaming i would definitely start with building a modern system designed for it.

i would start with the i5-12400F, 16GB of DDR4 3200-3600MHz, RTX 3000 series card and build on from there.

but if you're happy with what your current system can achieve go with the new display, a nicer case, and an adequate cooler for your future CPU.
there's really no way i'd choose a 1080p monitor for gaming so you may also want to consider upping your budget and altering your plan to include a nicer higher resolution display.
if you're not as concerned about image quality/sharpness vs price then maybe just get a higher range HDR 1080p screen to help with image quality some on the lower resolution.

cheaping out on an investment like this can lead to serious buyer's remorse down the line and can end up costing over twice as much if you then decide to upgrade at a shorter time period.
it's usually a better idea to get the best you can while you can and enjoy it as long as possible.
As i said above im looking to get better in csgo and i dont really play anything else so i dont really need anything above 1080p since i play my game on 1024x768 but ill give a try to the case and cooler

im looking to get better in csgo and i dont really play anything else
why?
it's such boring gameplay with almost zero story.
if you actually enjoy gaming you should definitely expand your horizons on what you play.
if it's all about the competition and you really don't care about gameplay, story lines, or nice graphics there are still much better online shooters than Global Offensive.

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
why?
it's such boring gameplay with almost zero story.
if you actually enjoy gaming you should definitely expand your horizons on what you play.
if it's all about the competition and you really don't care about gameplay, story lines, or nice graphics there are still much better online shooters than Global Offensive.
Like i mentioned above... Im playing cs to COMPETE and there isnt a better game than csgo to compete in and i know where im standing after you mentioned that CSGO has no story... And also i mentioned that my budget is ~$200 and you instantly recommended me a high end pc and a cooler that costs almost like my whole budget with my given specs

logainofhades

Titan
Like i mentioned above... Im playing cs to COMPETE and there isnt a better game than csgo to compete in and i know where im standing after you mentioned that CSGO has no story... And also i mentioned that my budget is ~$200 and you instantly recommended me a high end pc and a cooler that costs almost like my whole budget with my given specs

$200 isn't going to get you much. A 2nd or 3rd gen Intel refurb office pc, at best. You have to pay to play. You could possibly upgrade your cooling, to improve temps, maybe some more case fans, for more airflow. Any actual performance upgrades, are probably off the table, though.

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
$200 isn't going to get you much. A 2nd or 3rd gen Intel refurb office pc, at best. You have to pay to play. You could possibly upgrade your cooling, to improve temps, maybe some more case fans, for more airflow. Any actual performance upgrades, are probably off the table, though.
I can right now get a better case and cooling but still thats not gonna bring enough performance. Im waiting for new ryzen cpu's to get released and after they are im gonna HOPE that the gpu prices finally get back like they were and i can actually get a gpu and not buy a apu because i cant wait as long to get the money for cpu+gpu combo

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
and they did also ask if they should instead, "get money for new pc".
And i forgot that there is also the option for just getting like 3rd or 4th gen i7 cpu and new mbo which im not sure if its gonna be enough for 144fps in low res low settings csgo

logainofhades

Titan

Yea the new models would be a big boost, over what you have now, even the Zen 2 based chips. An i3 12100f would be a good option though, too, for lower budget. Just hard to find them, in stock, right now. You can reuse your GPU, until the time comes that you can get a new one.

Solution

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020

Im thinking about getting one right now... I found a new one with warranty for 113e and i just dont know what mbo and ram to get than, everything else i can reuse, i have micro atx case

logainofhades

Titan
An i3 12100f? If so, this board, and ram. The board was well reviewed, by Hardware Unboxed, and will handle future upgrades, without having to worry about the VRM's cooking themselves to death.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€116.86 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€149.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€69.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €336.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-18 19:58 CET+0100

veeljko23

Reputable
May 24, 2020
An i3 12100f? If so, this board, and ram. The board was well reviewed, by Hardware Unboxed, and will handle future upgrades, without having to worry about the VRM's cooking themselves to death.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€116.86 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€149.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€69.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €336.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-18 19:58 CET+0100
I will consider this, and here is another thing i can do right now and i would like to hear your opinion, i found this "half config" I7 4770/Asus h81m-r/16gb ddr3 1600mhz ram it has 2x8 kingston ram he didnt say the exact model, cpu cooler is Antec A40 pro and the price is 170e which would do the job for me when i get 144hz monitor. He mentioned that he has been using this pc "few years" and that he never had any issues and everything is working without any secret flaws. And whats holding me back from the one above is the mbo, its too expensive