[SOLVED] PC upgrade (Photo/video editing)

fcz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
My current PC:
Thermaltake Smart M550W
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H
i5 4670k
GTX 970
2x8GB HyperX Fury DDR3
Asus Xonar DXG

I feel like my configuration is holding me back for quite some time and I am planning to upgrade it. The PC is mainly used for work (Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator) so the gaming aspect is not too important.

Still haven't decided on all the components but it would defnitely be a 2700x platform since that is the most my budget allows me; something along the lines of this: B450 MB + 2700x + 32GB RAM + Evga P2 650W. I would also try to spring for an Samsung EVO SSD.

So, I'd really like to keep my current graphic card to keep things within the budget.

What kind of real-life performance boost you think I could expect with these upgrades? With and without an SSD upgrade?

Thanks!

Solution
Is the Tomahawk Max available for the same price as the regular tomahawk. The max version has a 32MB BIOS so chances are good it will support Ryzen 4000.

The 650P2 is a great PSU. Perhaps eating into your budget though. (Not sure how it compares to other options) I have the G2 and read a lot of reviews before picking it. If my memory serves, the P2 was touted as taking the G2 platform and pushing it to the edge to scrape a platinum rating. You'll probably find that in this review.
https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2015/09/28/evga-supernova-650-p2-power-supply/
[Edit] oops maybe not that review.

fcz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
What country are you shopping in?
What's your budget?

What's your current case?

You don't currently have an SSD?

I totally forgot to mention the case. My current is Xigmatek Asgard and I will most probably upgrade to Coolermaster MB511 (small chance to change my mind and go for Fractal Design Focus G but I'll probably stick with MB511).

I'm from Bosnia and Herzegovina so I doubt it will mean anything to you. :) But I guess price differences/relations between components are rather similar everywhere - I presume you're asking because there might be a better combo in the same price range? The upgrade above (including the case) fits just about right in my budget which is around 600-650€.

No, I don't have an SSD currently, I have WD BLUE 640GB for the system and GREEN 1TB for storage.

I ask mainly because relative pricing ISN'T consistent between countries. And because of product availability in various countries.

What websites would you be shopping from. And/or what major neighboring countries could you shop from?
It's pretty convenient for people to use the website "pcpartpicker.com" for build lists, but they don't cover markets in every country.

fcz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I ask mainly because relative pricing ISN'T consistent between countries. And because of product availability in various countries.

What websites would you be shopping from. And/or what major neighboring countries could you shop from?
It's pretty convenient for people to use the website "pcpartpicker.com" for build lists, but they don't cover markets in every country.

Oh? I never actually researched relative pricing but I thought it wouldn't deviate for more than 10% max.

In any case, market in my country is a bit... different. Purchasing from abroad isn't an option, so here are some options that are available here and are within my budget (my favourites are in bold).

Ryzen 2700x - Ryzen 3600 - i5 9500 - i5 8600k - i5 7600
B450 tomahawk - strix b450 - TUF x470-plus gaming - msi x470 gaming pro - aorus x470 ultra gaming
32GB Samsung B-DIE 2666mhz - 32GB Patriot Viper 4 3000mhz

PSU would most definitely be EVGA P2 650W, case MB511 and (potentially soon, and definitely by the end of the year) for SSD I'd go with EVO 860 1TB.

Is the Tomahawk Max available for the same price as the regular tomahawk. The max version has a 32MB BIOS so chances are good it will support Ryzen 4000.

The 650P2 is a great PSU. Perhaps eating into your budget though. (Not sure how it compares to other options) I have the G2 and read a lot of reviews before picking it. If my memory serves, the P2 was touted as taking the G2 platform and pushing it to the edge to scrape a platinum rating. You'll probably find that in this review.

Last edited:
Solution

fcz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Thanks for the update. Yes, Tomahawk Max is available at a marginally larger price.

However, now I'm so unsure if my build is going to work since I've read numerous thread about isses with GTX970 (as well as some others from GTX series) and Tomahawk B450 regular/max. It's not on the QVL list and one user here even had his card fried by the board.

Also, finding a suitable 32GB RAM kit is proving to be a puzzle, I'm stuck in a "bermuda triangle": budget - qvl list - availability.

If you (or any other user) could help me solve these dilemmas I would be grateful.

So, my absolute constants are:
-2700x
-keeping this card for at least 6 months
-PSU P2 650W & MB 511 case (irrelevant compatibility-wise I guess, but just for the sake of planning the budget).

If a different/better board with addition of 50-70€ would help I could perhaps spring for it.