[SOLVED] PC Upgrade... Please Help :)

Nov 18, 2019
Hey guys, this is my first time using this forum.

I am looking at upgrading my current PC over the holidays, as this when I will be getting some income before Christmas. I want some advice from someone whether I should be upgrading my [cpu + motherboard + ram] OR my [gpu + psu] as I can realistically afford to do one or the other currently. Whatever one I don't do now I will in the future, probably in the new year, so if you could give some advice for both that would be appreciated. Current budget for one of the two circumstances is probably around 900 NZD (600 USD I think...) When I built my computer 2 years ago, upgradability didn't come to mind as I was very new to computers. Built it as an entry level setup.

Current specs are:

GPU: Gigabyte 1050Ti OC edition
CPU: Ryzen 3 1300X
COOLER: CoolerMaster ML240L rad (I know, sounds ridiculous for the CPU but I got it for a very good price a few months back)
MOBO: Asrock AB350M Pro4
PSU: Zalman 400W
RAM: 8 gb (2x4gb) Ballistix
CASE: some chinese rubbish
Then some other storage which isn't my concern.

As I move forward into university I really won't have time to game so I don't want to spend an awful lot, my main requirements is to run competetive FPS shooters at 144hz at 1080p.
For a long time I have been considering switching to intel, maybe the i5 9600k and a z390 chipset?... and 16gb of ram
As for the gpu I have been looking at the RTX 2060s/2070 and any gold rated 600w-ish psu.
Which would give me the biggest FPS boost? I realise that whatever I do pretty much will result in a bottleneck, but remember I will upgrade that slower part in the future.

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards

Jacob

Solution
If I were you, I'd get a PSU and GPU upgrade. When the new year comes around I'd suggest you get a New board, CPU and ram combo(assuming your rams can't go beyond DDR4-2400MHz).

That being said, would you be open to a suggestion to just save up, hold on to the existing system for a while longer and build the system right from the get go after you've saved enough money? You could just sell the existing system to add some more cash as opposed to parting out with components.

Lutfij

Titan
If I were you, I'd get a PSU and GPU upgrade. When the new year comes around I'd suggest you get a New board, CPU and ram combo(assuming your rams can't go beyond DDR4-2400MHz).

That being said, would you be open to a suggestion to just save up, hold on to the existing system for a while longer and build the system right from the get go after you've saved enough money? You could just sell the existing system to add some more cash as opposed to parting out with components.

Reactions: JacoD23
Solution
Nov 18, 2019

Wow that was fast haha...
Thats actually a great idea thank you. I could pick up some parts in the boxing day sales. And I could transplant the stock cpu cooler back in. Any recommendations amd vs intel? And 600 watts shoud be plenty for something of the likes of a 2060 super, right?