[SOLVED] PC upgrade possible like this?

Jun 14, 2019
Hey guys
im looking to upgrade my PC, i originally intended to build a whole new system, but it seems my CPU would be just fine for the task, comparing to some of my friends with similar setups.

planing to play warcraft 3, and warcraft reforged once it comes out, and also stream the games. im going to use NVENC encoding.

i currently got this prebuild PC from 2013
CPU: i7 3770 ( non K )
GPU: GTX 650
Mobo: i think MS-7797 from MSI, its a medion pc "µATX"
PSU: 450w i dont know the brand right now, but i'd guess its of rather low quality (prebuild)
RAM: DDR3 1x 8GB 1600mhz 1x 4GB 1600mhz
case: https://picscdn.redblue.de/doi/pixelboxx-mss-56947150/fee_786_587_png

Monitor is from AOC, 1920x1080 60hz

so im thinking of simply upgrading my GPU and PSU and a 2nd Monitor, also eventually the case if it doesnt fit.

but im a pc noobie and not so confident if i might run into troubles etc..

what i intend to buy is either a RTX 2080 Aero, as it currently goes for 550€ in a store nearby
( but im not sure if that card might run to hot, with just 1 fan ?)
or a RTX 2070Super from KFA2 for 519€

PSU Be Quiet Straight Power 11 650w

and then possibly upgrade the other components a bit later

any help on if that would be up for the task, and a possible upgrade. or which trouble i might run into would be much appreciated

thanks a lot

Last edited:
Reactions: AngelTech
Solution
Things that will do well to be upgraded:
GPU (as you already mentioned)
PSU (as you already mentioned)
RAM

Your RAM is mismatched, and so is almost definitely not running in dual channel, and is also probably being slowed down due to mismatching timings. You would be best off selling both sticks and buying 2 matching sticks at either DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1866. Or, you could just sell the 4GB one and buy the exact same 8GB one as you already have.

You might think it is not necessary, but having matching dual channel RAM really does make a difference - on videos I've seen, it is around 5-10 FPS!
As for the GPU, the 2070 is probably all you need. I don't think the 2080 would reach its potential in that system, even though the i7 3770 is...
Things that will do well to be upgraded:
GPU (as you already mentioned)
PSU (as you already mentioned)
RAM

Your RAM is mismatched, and so is almost definitely not running in dual channel, and is also probably being slowed down due to mismatching timings. You would be best off selling both sticks and buying 2 matching sticks at either DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1866. Or, you could just sell the 4GB one and buy the exact same 8GB one as you already have.

You might think it is not necessary, but having matching dual channel RAM really does make a difference - on videos I've seen, it is around 5-10 FPS!
As for the GPU, the 2070 is probably all you need. I don't think the 2080 would reach its potential in that system, even though the i7 3770 is still a good CPU.

Solution
That RAM will do just fine!
Yes, if you are planning on upgrading the rest of the system soon too, it won't hurt to have a GPU that will be ready to go into it. From that perspective, if your budget allows it (which I'm assuming it does seeming as you already suggested them), a 2070 Super or 2080 will not hurt. The difference between them is quite small, so which one you go for depends on whether you believe it is worth spending the extra money for ~5 FPS more.
View: https://youtu.be/_l9FjSLf6sg

Reactions: ChipsAndCola
I'd choose the 2070 Super in that case. €30 cheaper for dual fan and only around 5 FPS less to me is a good deal. When playing for long periods of time, the lower temperature of a dual fan setup might actually mean the FPS of both cards also level out too. Also, if FPS isn't your biggest concern then I don't think 5 FPS is anything to worry about anyways.

Reactions: ChipsAndCola