Current specs (ripped from speccy)
Windows 10
AMD Phenom X4 965
8GB DDR3 Ram
Gigabyte mobo
GT 640
500GB HDD
Pioneer DVDR

Im buying myself a GTX 1070 to upgrade from my R9 280X and im wanting to put the R9 into the above PC. Currently the above PC is using a 800W PSU but lacks the 8 pin connector that my R9 needs.
Do i need to upgrade the PSU to meet the needs of this beefier card or should i look at buying some form of Sata to 8 Pin adapter ( i dont know too much about the volatage and amp this carries)

Thanks
-Brandon

Solution
If that's 800w, I'm green. Connectors are a really good indicator of ability. If there's no 6+2 or 8pin pcie the card is incapable of the power needed to push a high end card. My little 520w has 2x 6+2 pcie. I'd be surprised if that psu is capable of 350w.

Time to replace it for sure.

Right now the Corsair CXM 550W is the best quality budget psu for the money, usually found her $50 or less

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If that's 800w, I'm green. Connectors are a really good indicator of ability. If there's no 6+2 or 8pin pcie the card is incapable of the power needed to push a high end card. My little 520w has 2x 6+2 pcie. I'd be surprised if that psu is capable of 350w.

Time to replace it for sure.

Right now the Corsair CXM 550W is the best quality budget psu for the money, usually found her $50 or less

Solution