[SOLVED] PC upgrade (?) PSU?

Mar 30, 2020
Hi everyone!! (btw, thanks for your time)

So, recently my computer just started to reboot for himself, after a while, it started to crash instead (no blue screen at all, just crashed and I was forced to shut it down). This only happens when I start a game usually Rainbow Six, Rocket League or csgo... I can stay on the browser and other apps like skype or discord with no problem. I got a little scared and did a bit of research (I'm not that expert in computers) and I saw some people in forums saying that could be the Power Supply, GPU or the CPU, so I did some tests, FunMark and the Prime95 (i was not really sure how it worked so I ran them separated for like 15 or 20 mins and then the both at the same time and the pc didn't crash. I reset my pc (that's like my best option for every problem in my computer hahaha ) but the problem still there.

After it, I saw a guy talking to decrease the max processor power management used, form 100% to 65%. I did it and for know, that's the only thing that keeps my pc okay when I start a game however my fps breaks a lot (cause I only use 60% of my PSU, I believe).

So I talked with a friend how to understand pcs and stuff more than me and he told me that maybe I need to get a new Power Supply, that's okay for me, I was thinking in doing an upgrade on my computer cause we build it like 4 years ago.

So, after all this text what I want to ask is:
1 - What's your opinion, could be the PSU or something else?
2 - Since probably I need other PSU I would like to a little upgrade on my GPU (like a simple guy who doesn't know anything I believe that upgrading my GPU I will get more FPS and better gaming experience). That being said, what GPU do you advise or me around 250€(not that much but its what i can do right now) that fits my motherboard? (cause my friend told me that the only one compatible was the GTX 1050 Ti but since i got the GTX 750 ti is it worth to upgrade? Or are there other better GPUs that i can upgrade to?
3 - The last question is, I have this 250/300€ that I need to spend in 2 or 3 weeks (like a gift thing) so should I upgrade the GPU or there are other components that I should give priority?

PC specs:
-Operating System: Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit
-CPU: AMD FX-8320 Vishera 32nm Technology
-RAM: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz
-Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A99X EVO R2.0 (Socket 942)
-GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI)
-Storage: 931GB Western Digital WDC
-Water Cooler | Masterliquid lite 120 - cooler master

Thanks for your time!!

Last edited:
Solution
I think that a psu failure would completely freeze the computer, not just one program, but I could be wrong. Could you give more details about your current power supply (wattage, Efficiency 80 plus rating, maybe brand). I recommend that you for sure get and ssd in the near future, absolute life changer if you do anything outside of gaming on your PC. Beyond that, upgrading the psu can never hurt. And yes, a new gpu would breathe new life into your system for gaming. So, for your budget, I recommend a sata 3 ssd, a 550w power supply, and a 1650/60 super. This should stay within your budget, depending on pricing in your area. Here are some products I picked out, but they are by no means the only options...

SATADATA

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
I think that a psu failure would completely freeze the computer, not just one program, but I could be wrong. Could you give more details about your current power supply (wattage, Efficiency 80 plus rating, maybe brand). I recommend that you for sure get and ssd in the near future, absolute life changer if you do anything outside of gaming on your PC. Beyond that, upgrading the psu can never hurt. And yes, a new gpu would breathe new life into your system for gaming. So, for your budget, I recommend a sata 3 ssd, a 550w power supply, and a 1650/60 super. This should stay within your budget, depending on pricing in your area. Here are some products I picked out, but they are by no means the only options.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GTX-16...ild=1&keywords=1060+6gb&qid=1588049110&sr=8-8

Computers/dp/B074ZDLGMK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1SCOJKRSVYT1W&dchild=1&keywords=550w+80+plus+bronze&qid=1588050153&sprefix=550w+80+plus%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeF...er&qid=1588050401&sprefix=1650,aps,207&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Powe...8049884&sprefix=silicon+power+,aps,208&sr=8-2

The Gpus are all small models, so you should have no clearance issues. You could lower the capacity of the ssd to save money. If the system continues to crash after the upgrades, the issue has been isolated to the cpu, motherboard, or ram. All of the parts could use and upgrade, I would choose the ryzen platform, so maybe limp by in lower performance mode until you can start upgrading these parts, if the issue persists. Also, what resolution are you gaming at? Just one mans perspective.

Solution
Mar 30, 2020
I think that a psu failure would completely freeze the computer, not just one program, but I could be wrong. Could you give more details about your current power supply (wattage, Efficiency 80 plus rating, maybe brand). I recommend that you for sure get and ssd in the near future, absolute life changer if you do anything outside of gaming on your PC. Beyond that, upgrading the psu can never hurt. And yes, a new gpu would breathe new life into your system for gaming. So, for your budget, I recommend a sata 3 ssd, a 550w power supply, and a 1650/60 super. This should stay within your budget, depending on pricing in your area. Here are some products I picked out, but they are by no means the only options.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GTX-16...ild=1&keywords=1060+6gb&qid=1588049110&sr=8-8

Computers/dp/B074ZDLGMK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1SCOJKRSVYT1W&dchild=1&keywords=550w+80+plus+bronze&qid=1588050153&sprefix=550w+80+plus%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphics-128-Bit-Gv-N165SOC-4GD/dp/B081TW2HV4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=RH2AWXY4Q1F&dchild=1&keywords=1650+super&qid=1588050401&sprefix=1650,aps,207&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Performance-Internal-SP256GBSS3A55S25/dp/B075RJS55D/ref=sr_1_2?crid=10F3SOCMX3JJX&dchild=1&keywords=silicon+power+256gb+ssd&qid=1588049884&sprefix=silicon+power+,aps,208&sr=8-2

The Gpus are all small models, so you should have no clearance issues. You could lower the capacity of the ssd to save money. If the system continues to crash after the upgrades, the issue has been isolated to the cpu, motherboard, or ram. All of the parts could use and upgrade, I would choose the ryzen platform, so maybe limp by in lower performance mode until you can start upgrading these parts, if the issue persists. Also, what resolution are you gaming at? Just one mans perspective.

Thanks a lot for your answer!!

So, maybe I explain it wrong, when my PC crash is the whole PC (I really need to shut it down) not only my game, but yes, it only happens when I run a game, I can be in the browser for hours and it works fine.

SPU info: 1Life ps:jet 600W 120mm (https://1-life.eu/?product=1life-psjet-600w-120mm )

About the sad and the GPU (thanks again for the research and time) that was something that I thought about, buy an SSD and upgrade for a very nice GPU but the guy who built my PC told me that why my motherboard model (old model i believe) I can't update to a very new/recent GPU and stuff cause "it doesn't t fit" or something like that (I have no clue). And that my only GPU upgrade option was from my GTX 750 ti ---> GTX 1050 ti and it doesn't seem like a "nice upgrade" you know? But again, I have no clue about this and maybe he's wrong about it, I didn't even know that this was a thing to be careful when upgrade, I thought that you could just buy a new and better one and put in your motherboard and done. Do you know anything about it?

SATADATA

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
Ah, I misread your original post about the nature of the crash. I have an idea as to what the other the other person was talking about other GPUs not fitting. MSI makes a low-profile 750 ti. If this is indeed what you have due to space constraints, upgrading is more difficult. Most high high end and midrange cards have no low profile options, but the 1050 it does. Could you let me know what kind of case you have so I could check for physical space limitations?