Build Advice PC Upgrade Questions

HDinis09

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
Hello!

I am planning on replacing my CPU and adding more RAM to my system. However, a few questions are hovering in my head.

1- Will the PSU be enough to handle the updated components?

2- Will having this specific Motherboard be a bottleneck for this type of CPU?

3- Will this cooler be enough to cool this CPU?

In case someone can advise, I am extremely thankful!

Here are my build details/planned new components
Current Component New component
MotherboardMSI B450M Mortar Max
CPURyzen 5 3600 Ryzen 9 5900X
GPUMSI RTX 3060-Ti
RAMG.Skill 2 x 8GB @ 3200 MHz4 x 8GB @ 3200 MHZ(2 extra 8GB sticks)
CoolerArctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO
PSUKolink Enclave 700W 80PLUS Gold Full Modular

Last edited:
1- Will the PSU be enough to handle the updated components?

2- Will having this specific Motherboard be a bottleneck for this type of CPU?

3- Will this cooler be enough to cool this CPU?

1. Your PSU should be fine for the 5900X and 3060-Ti.

2. It's unlikely your board will bottleneck it in performance terms at stock, but the 5900X is a lot of CPU for a more budget orientated board. My only concern would be the VRM temps, hopefully someone with a Ryzen 9 might be able to comment.

3. Well it will run it but it might run a little hot, as you already have it though I guess doesn't hurt to try and if your unhappy with the temps you can upgrade it.

Reactions: HDinis09
I don’t know what the quality of that psu is like but the wattage is enough. However quality is very important.

That motherboard will have no problem with the cpu, it has good VRM’s.

I think you will be lucky if that cooler if enough, this is a fairly hot cpu and that’s a mid range cooler.

Also adding another kit of RAM is not guaranteed to work, it is best not to mix kit. See the odd man out section here https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

I don’t know what the quality of that psu is like but the wattage is enough. However quality is very important.

I think you will be lucky if that cooler if enough, this is a fairly hot cpu and that’s a mid range cooler.

Also adding another kit of RAM is not guaranteed to work, it is best not to mix kit. See the odd man out section here https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

That's cool then, it seems to be one of the better B450's for VRM's but I wasn't sure. I've found older Ryzen's fussy with RAM, he might get away with a second set of G.Skill at 3200Mhz on Zen 3?

HDinis09

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020

Hi! Thank you for your reply!

I believe I looked at Tom's Hardware post for CPU's and it might have been a B rater PSU, so I'm hoping it is a decent one. Have not had issues so far at least!

I might give the cooler a test first and upgrade if necessary. Got any recommended ones? If you could advise one air cooler and one AIO?

Regarding RAM, I would be getting the exact same kit as the one I previously bought. You reckon this would be fine?

Thanks!

HDinis09

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
1. Your PSU should be fine for the 5900X and 3060-Ti.

2. It's unlikely your board will bottleneck it in performance terms at stock, but the 5900X is a lot of CPU for a more budget orientated board. My only concern would be the VRM temps, hopefully someone with a Ryzen 9 might be able to comment.

3. Well it will run it but it might run a little hot, as you already have it though I guess doesn't hurt to try and if your unhappy with the temps you can upgrade it.
Thank you for your reply! I will attempt to use the cooler and upgrade if necessary! Will also monitor Temps very closely. Anything else, might consider another motherboard on the future.

Thanks!

You may find it does the job but is a little loud, it's still a lot better than any of the stock coolers though and they did used to ship one with the 3900X. Your PSU is a good budget PSU, if you were building a system from scratch I'd recommend a higher tier one but I think you'll be fine. A Linus post had it as Tier B:

HDinis09

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
Oh also you'll need to remember to update your boards bios before you put the 5900X in otherwise it wont boot.
Alright! I might be able to get this one from Water Cooler (MLW-D24M-A18PC-R2) for about 58€(From 75€).

Do you believe it could hold out any better than the current one?

Already checked the BIOS and it is updated to work with 5000 Series 😄.

It's hit or miss really whether the ram will work in XMP. Ryzen 1000/2000 don't like 4 dims in XMP generally. Zen 2 and 3 are much improved but it's still not guaranteed to work if it's two separate kits. Mixing manufacturers like Micron and Hynix would be a definite no no, I don't know if G.Skill source their RAM from more than one manufacturer.

I use 2 kits (Corsair) bought at different times myself in XMP but I'm on intel and they are much less fussy, both kits were also made by Hynix which helps.

If you were to have problems though you may find that they don't work at 3200Mhz but they work at 3000Mhz for example. If it were me, I would purchase another kit from Amazon or something and just test it. If you had stability problems you could always return it and then buy a new 32GB kit.

Alright! I might be able to get this one from Water Cooler (MLW-D24M-A18PC-R2) for about 58€(From 75€).

Do you believe it could hold out any better than the current one?

Already checked the BIOS and it is updated to work with 5000 Series 😄.

It's a fairly entry level 240mm AIO, I question how much better that would be over your current cooler. Something like this would be better:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-Liq..._1_5?keywords=280mm+aio&qid=1638041998&sr=8-5

HDinis09

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020

HDinis09

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
It's hit or miss really whether the ram will work in XMP. Ryzen 1000/2000 don't like 4 dims in XMP generally. Zen 2 and 3 are much improved but it's still not guaranteed to work if it's two separate kits. Mixing manufacturers like Micron and Hynix would be a definite no no, I don't know if G.Skill source their RAM from more than one manufacturer.

I use 2 kits (Corsair) bought at different times myself in XMP but I'm on intel and they are much less fussy, both kits were also made by Hynix which helps.

If you were to have problems though you may find that they don't work at 3200Mhz but they work at 3000Mhz for example. If it were me, I would purchase another kit from Amazon or something and just test it. If you had stability problems you could always return it and then buy a new 32GB kit.
I double checked and the RAM module numbers are the exact same, so hopefully it will work. Anything I believe I will be able to resolve with the retailer.

Thanks!