[SOLVED] PC upgrade thoughts

Mar 20, 2022
Hello, I was looking to see if I could get some feedback on my thoughts. I am wanting to see if upgrading some components will make a change in gaming performance. Due to the GPU demands, I am at this point thinking I will just stick with my current GPU and upgrade the CPU and motherboard. I have never overclocked my current CPU or GPU. These are the parts I will be upgrading. Please let me know if this is worth the upgrade or if you have any other thoughts or need more information on my current build or advice. Thank you so much and keep safe!

Intel i5 7600k -> AMD Ryzen 7 3600X
ASUS Z270E Gaming -> MSI Mag B550 Tomahawk gaming

Full Specs currently
CPU - Intel i5 7500K
MB - Asus Z270E Gaming
GPU - ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING
RAM - G.Skill RipJaws DDR4-2133 2x8Gb
PSU - EVGA Supernova 750W G2
Cooling - Coolermaster Hyper212
Monitor - Acer GN246HL 1920x1080 @ 144Hz

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend an upgrade to the 3000 series Ryzen parts this late in the game unless you are able to buy it at a good discount used from a source you know very well, like a friend that you wouldn't hesitate inviting to your mom's house for dinner during the holidays.

What is your upgrade budget and what graphics card do you currently have?

Also, what is the exact model of your power supply and what exactly is the problem you are seeing with performance? What resolution and refresh rate are you gaming at?

Mar 20, 2022
I wouldn't recommend an upgrade to the 3000 series Ryzen parts this late in the game unless you are able to buy it at a good discount used from a source you know very well, like a friend that you wouldn't hesitate inviting to your mom's house for dinner during the holidays.

What is your upgrade budget and what graphics card do you currently have?

Also, what is the exact model of your power supply and what exactly is the problem you are seeing with performance? What resolution and refresh rate are you gaming at?

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it!

I don't particularly have a budget, but I also don't want to spend anymore than I need to for just gaming purposes.

My current GPU is a GTX1080 and I believe I have a 750W Corsair Modular powersupply, I am unfamiliar with the exact model, but I can check later when I get home.

I feel like my PC stutters, I mostly play on the medium settings in the game I am playing as I can't do the highest without experiencing performance issues like stuttering.
My desktop resolution is 1920x1080 144hz refresh rate and also same in the game display settings. I am open to other recommendations. My current setup is fine the way it is, but a part of me feels like my setup is outdated and I am missing out on current technology.

Cheers

thinking I will just stick with my current GPU and upgrade the CPU and motherboard

your current graphics card is an important piece of info in this question.
if your card is powerful enough to make use of a newer more powerful CPU then it may be worth it to upgrade.
if not, then it could be a waste of effort that will not increase your game performance at all.

include your complete system specs with make & model of all components.

Mar 20, 2022
your current graphics card is an important piece of info in this question.
if your card is powerful enough to make use of a newer more powerful CPU then it may be worth it to upgrade.
if not, then it could be a waste of effort that will not increase your game performance at all.

include your complete system specs with make & model of all components.

Hi, sorry! I was editing my post earlier and I realized I had taken off the GPU part, oops!

Full Specs currently
CPU - Intel i5 7500K
MB - Asus Z270E Gaming
GPU - ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING
RAM - G.Skill RipJaws DDR4-2133 2x8Gb
PSU - EVGA Supernova 750W G2
Cooling - Coolermaster Hyper212
Monitor - Acer GN246HL 1920x1080 @ 144Hz

Last edited:
Pair this up with a set of 2x8GB of DDR4 3200mhz or DDR4 3600mhz RAM.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098D84SLF
Thermalright Assassin Spirit 120 CPU Cooler $30.00

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-1700-SS2-Mounting-Coolers-Platform/dp/B09LTQYNSL
Thermalright LGA 1700-SS2 Mounting Kit $8.69

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144531
MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 $139.99

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B660M-A-DDR4

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...12400f_core_i5_12400f_desktop_processor.html/
Intel Core i5-12400F $179.98

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2400f-processor-18m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

EvzZHt4zskeq2WvRUVwVHK-970-80.png

Solution
What games do you primarily play?

What is the model of your memory kit? How much memory AND EXACTLY which slots are they installed in? Starting with the slot closest to the CPU socket, 1, 2, 3, 4, with 4 being closest to the edge of the motherboard.

It would be a good idea to find the exact model of the power supply when you get home. It can be found on the label on the side of the PSU.

In truth, something like this would make an excellent budget upgrade that would be worth doing going from your Kaby lake i5 to something newer. Reviews of this board are good and the performance difference between this CPU and what you have now is likely around about a 38% single core gain with something like nearly 189% multithreaded performance increase. Obviously, some of that will depend on the speed and latency of the memory being used, but you shouldn't see too broad of a difference even between baseline and high speed kits that it would discourage you from simply using the memory you have now as this board is a DDR4 compatible B660 motherboard and is one of the few B660 boards with a primary x16 PCIe 5.0 slot. Most of them have a PCIe 4.0 slot.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($207.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B660 Steel Legend ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $367.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-20 17:16 EDT-0400

Not sure why you'd recommend another budget cooler when they already have a perfectly suitable Hyper 212.

I'm also not a fan of the CPU models that lack integrated graphics for a number of reasons. One, you have nothing to fall back on if your discreet graphics card dies until you can get it replaced so then you are basically without a system in the meantime, and two, you lose the ability to use the integrated graphics for troubleshooting purposes in the event you have a need to do that, which frankly, ends up being a lot more often than anybody ever thinks it will be.

As well, and this is more due to my own beliefs than anything quality or performance related, but I have a very hard time recommending (Or letting recommendations pass without comment) any MSI products due to their low moral compass and shady business tactics. If those are things that don't bother you, and by that I mean "anybody" not specifically "you" you, then that's your choice but it needs to be said that there is only one way to get these companies to address and improve their behaviors and that is by hitting them in the wallet. It's the only thing they understand and for the benefit of the industry in general we need to hold companies accountable when they are clearly playing by a different set of rules that everybody else.

the GTX 1080 can make use of a bit more CPU processing power but nothing really over a good 8th gen would offer any more noticeable improvement.

if you plan on also upgrading the GPU to a current gen model anytime soon, you would want to also look into a current gen CPU and motherboard to go with it.
I don't agree with this. The CPU has a direct and separate impact on frame rates and since it's very likely they are not pushing that card to it's max with the current CPU at medium settings, it wouldn't make much sense to NOT go with a current Gen CPU and while it's not the only reason, I'd say that if for no other reason than because at whatever point they DO upgrade the graphics card they will already be on a platform with parts that make it worth doing. It has never made much sense to me to upgrade old parts with old parts unless you are buying them used and getting them for very cheap.

Mar 20, 2022
the GTX 1080 can make use of a bit more CPU processing power but nothing really over a good 8th gen would offer any more noticeable improvement.

if you plan on also upgrading the GPU to a current gen model anytime soon, you would want to also look into a current gen CPU and motherboard to go with it.

I do plan on upgrading my GPU when the dust settles be it either the 3080 or the new upcoming 4xxx series. What would your recommendations be ?

What games do you primarily play?

What is the model of your memory kit? How much memory AND EXACTLY which slots are they installed in? Starting with the slot closest to the CPU socket, 1, 2, 3, 4, with 4 being closest to the edge of the motherboard.

It would be a good idea to find the exact model of the power supply when you get home. It can be found on the label on the side of the PSU.

In truth, something like this would make an excellent budget upgrade that would be worth doing going from your Kaby lake i5 to something newer. Reviews of this board are good and the performance difference between this CPU and what you have now is likely around about a 38% single core gain with something like nearly 189% multithreaded performance increase. Obviously, some of that will depend on the speed and latency of the memory being used, but you shouldn't see too broad of a difference even between baseline and high speed kits that it would discourage you from simply using the memory you have now as this board is a DDR4 compatible B660 motherboard and is one of the few B660 boards with a primary x16 PCIe 5.0 slot. Most of them have a PCIe 4.0 slot.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($207.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B660 Steel Legend ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $367.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-20 17:16 EDT-0400

I am currently playing Lost Ark and Destiny 2.

The model of my memory is G.Skill RipJaws DDR4-2133 2x8Gb and they are seated in slots 2 and 4. I am also running the XMP profile in the BIOs

My power supply is an EVGA Supernova 750W G2.

I am looking for a decent upgrade to last me a few years and I am also thinking of upgrading my GPU once the dust settles.
I also want recommendations on a gaming monitor, I think my monitor is outdated as well. I usually play MMORPGs and FPS games.

I want to thank you all for replying and giving me some awesome feedback.

Last edited:
Not sure why you'd recommend another budget cooler when they already have a perfectly suitable Hyper 212.

I'm also not a fan of the CPU models that lack integrated graphics for a number of reasons. One, you have nothing to fall back on if your discreet graphics card dies until you can get it replaced so then you are basically without a system in the meantime, and two, you lose the ability to use the integrated graphics for troubleshooting purposes in the event you have a need to do that, which frankly, ends up being a lot more often than anybody ever thinks it will be.

As well, and this is more due to my own beliefs than anything quality or performance related, but I have a very hard time recommending (Or letting recommendations pass without comment) any MSI products due to their low moral compass and shady business tactics. If those are things that don't bother you, and by that I mean "anybody" not specifically "you" you, then that's your choice but it needs to be said that there is only one way to get these companies to address and improve their behaviors and that is by hitting them in the wallet. It's the only thing they understand and for the benefit of the industry in general we need to hold companies accountable when they are clearly playing by a different set of rules that everybody else.
1. The OP posted his specs while I was making my post hence the reason I posted that cpu cooler w/mounting kit. With that said he can contact Cooler Master for a LGA1700 bracket to save money.

2. Agreed it's nice to have integrated graphics if the OP's graphics card ever takes a crap sometime in the future. With that said it adds to the cost of the build not to mention nobody ever mentions not having integrated graphics when someone post a build with an AMD cpu such as a 5600x or 5800x for example.

3. Asrock boards are known for their crappy VRM's and when these boards heat up they throttle down. That $160 Asrock B660 board you posted has a 9 phase design whereas the $140 MSI board I posted has a 12 phase design along with the fact that MSI board was recommended by HU in their review of budget B660 boards.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEa0vcJ0lRY

I do plan on upgrading my GPU when the dust settles be it either the 3080 or the new upcoming 4xxx series. What would your recommendations be ?

I am currently playing Lost Ark and Destiny 2.

The model of my memory is G.Skill RipJaws DDR4-2133 2x8Gb and they are seated in slots 2 and 4. I am also running the XMP profile in the BIOs

My power supply is an EVGA Supernova 750W G2.

I am looking for a decent upgrade to last me a few years and I am also thinking of upgrading my GPU once the dust settles.
I also want recommendations on a gaming monitor, I think my monitor is outdated as well. I usually play MMORPGs and FPS games.

I want to thank you all for replying and giving me some awesome feedback.
Here's a gaming monitor to have a look at if you're in the market for one.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824475176
MSI Optix MAG2732 27" Full HD 1920 x 1080 165 Hz HDMI, DisplayPort, USB, Audio G-Sync Compatible IPS Gaming Monitor $209.99

https://ca.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG2732

Not all ASRock boards are known for crappy VRMs, mostly only their cheaper boards and that can be said for MOST everybody's cheap boards.

You don't need a 12 phase VRM for an i5-12400 or 12400F. That's ludicrous, it's only a 65w part with a max turbo TDP of 115w, unless you are doing some kind of serious overclocking, and the CPU I recommended isn't a realistic candidate for that anyhow so it doesn't matter. The CPU you recommended, same. Doesn't need 12 phase power and realistically can't be overclocked technically anyhow. Sure, some of these I hear can do BCLK overclocking but we all know what a bag of turds that is.

And, I'd pay an extra 20 bucks to not give MSI my business right now. Maybe they'll get their act together at some point and when they do they can have my business again. For the OP, you can make your own choice.

Mar 20, 2022
What if I take both of your suggestions and combine them ?
MSI PRO B660M-A and i5-12400

I also use NVME storage, I am unsure if the motherboards posted above has this support. I skimmed through both specifications and did not see anythinig regarding m2 support, sorry if I left that out of the equation.

Thanks!

Reactions: Why_Me
I also want recommendations on a gaming monitor, I think my monitor is outdated as well
if going for at least the RTX 3080 and a current gen CPU you would definitely benefit from a higher resolution display with a high refresh rate.

whether you may enjoy a 21:9 ultra-wide or a larger size 16:9 would be a big deciding factor on which display to go for.
also use NVME storage, I am unsure if the motherboards posted above has this support
any decent motherboard from at least the last couple years will have M.2 slots available.
their PCIe revision and available speed may be the only specific to keep an eye on.