Sep 8, 2019
Okay so I was thinking of upgrading some Hardware in my 3 Year old Gaming PC, and was wondering whether it would be worth it, as I have Quite a few Blue screens of death, and lag in Games, For example in the New PVZ game, where I have a 25 mbps connection. My specs are:
Amd fx-6350 Processor
Asrock 970 Pro 3 mobo
MSI GTX 970 (two fans)
EVGA 850W power supply
8GB ddr3 1600Mhz ram (Corsair vengeance?)
256Gb SSD (samsung)
1tb seagate HDD
Arctic Freezer 13 cpu cooler
I currently have a decent MATX case, but was wondering whether to keep or swap

These were the specs I was thinking of upgrading to with a 300-350 Budget.
Amd Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600X,
MSI Gaming Plus B450M mobo,
Same Graphics card,
Same PSU,
16GB DDR4 G.skill Aegis ram (3200Mhz/3000Mhz??),
Same SSD,
Same HDD,,
Possibly same cooler or one of the wraith coolers, possibly buying a second hand Wraith Prism.
Possibly a Sahara P35 (don't know whether a new case is worth getting),

Also, If i instead got a R5 3600, Would I need to get a different Mobo than a b450M, Ive heard that the BIOS is incompatible, and that It might not be able to handle the CPU. Also Should I buy an aftermarket Cooler for This CPU, or stick with the spire, Or get a different wraith cooler???

I could save up more of a budget if it is not worth it to do an upgrade which consists of these parts, or if anyone has any suggestions which may be better, please provide!
Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Hi there,

Your suggested build would be a huge improvement for you. You would find a Ryzen 2600/x will push a few more FPS out of your GPU too.

I'd suggest going with as fast ram as you can get, 3200mhz is a good start, with CL16 timings. CL18 at a push.

If you wanted to get a R3600, B450's will work with them, but the bios needs to be updated first. You would need a Ryzen 1xxx, 2 xxx CPU to do that. Or, you could bring it to local store and they may charge you oa couple of $ to do it. If that cost is less than getting an X570, which would have the capable bios right out of the box to use the R3600 with no issues.

Alternatively some mobo manufacturers have released new B450 with bigger bioses for the new chips. Here's a list of...
Hi there,

Your suggested build would be a huge improvement for you. You would find a Ryzen 2600/x will push a few more FPS out of your GPU too.

I'd suggest going with as fast ram as you can get, 3200mhz is a good start, with CL16 timings. CL18 at a push.

If you wanted to get a R3600, B450's will work with them, but the bios needs to be updated first. You would need a Ryzen 1xxx, 2 xxx CPU to do that. Or, you could bring it to local store and they may charge you oa couple of $ to do it. If that cost is less than getting an X570, which would have the capable bios right out of the box to use the R3600 with no issues.

Alternatively some mobo manufacturers have released new B450 with bigger bioses for the new chips. Here's a list of MSI's

B450M-A PRO MAX
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
B450 GAMING PLUS MAX
B450M PRO-M2 MAX
B450M MORTAR MAX
B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
B450-A PRO MAX

The max version has the updated bios. I'm not sure what other manufacturers are doing, but a quick google search will find out.

The Wraith Spire/Max RGB are actually decent coolers. As long as you don't OC insanely, they will do nicely. I wouldn't go more than a stock cooler for a Ryzen 3xxx series part though. Ryzen 3rd gen CPU's are pretty maxed out and OC'ing them doesn't yield the same results as with previous gen. It's often better to allow the Ryzen 3rd gen just use their PBO function, and built in OC tool as it gives best results. And the stock coolers are fine for that.

Reactions: WildCard999
Solution
Sep 8, 2019
ver, better Internet speed will be beneficial too. What psu model is it?
A good upgrade. B450 may need a bios update which you can borrow a older cpu from AMD for free I believe. However, better Internet speed will be beneficial too. What psu model is it?
Thanks, The PSU is an EVGA 850w Bronze
A good upgrade. B450 may need a bios update which you can borrow a older cpu from AMD for free I believe. However, better Internet speed will be beneficial too. What psu model is it?
Thanks, The PSU is EVGA 850 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 850W, Semi Modular, 5 Year Warranty, Power Supply 110-BQ-0850-V1

Sep 8, 2019
Hi there,

Alternatively some mobo manufacturers have released new B450 with bigger bioses for the new chips. Here's a list of MSI's

B450M-A PRO MAX
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
B450 GAMING PLUS MAX
B450M PRO-M2 MAX
B450M MORTAR MAX
B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
B450-A PRO MAX

The max version has the updated bios. I'm not sure what other manufacturers are doing, but a quick google search will find out.

The Wraith Spire/Max RGB are actually decent coolers. As long as you don't OC insanely, they will do nicely. I wouldn't go more than a stock cooler for a Ryzen 3xxx series part though. Ryzen 3rd gen CPU's are pretty maxed out and OC'ing them doesn't yield the same results as with previous gen. It's often better to allow the Ryzen 3rd gen just use their PBO function, and built in OC tool as it gives best results. And the stock coolers are fine for that.
Thank you very Much Keith, Will look into everything you said :)
I also Know that CCL will do the upgrade for you if you buy a ryzen 5 3xxx and a b450 mobo

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Sep 8, 2019
Hey there, Thinking of upgrading my PC, but not 100% sure on what to upgrade, and if so, what parts. My current Specs are:

AMD FX 6350
MSI GTX 970
2x4GB ddr3 1333 MHz RAM
ASRock 970 Pro 3 R 2.0
Samsung 750 evo 256GB SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD
Arctic Freezer 13.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Ryzen 5 series, but not sure whether to go to 2nd gen (2600, 2600X), or whether to get the newer 3600.

I also (depending on what CPU i get), will get some 3000Mhz+ 2x8GB DDR4 RAM

And finally probably an MSI Gaming Pus MAX MoBo

Any opinions on an upgrade would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance :)

Sep 8, 2019
Hi there,

B450M-A PRO MAX
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
B450 GAMING PLUS MAX
B450M PRO-M2 MAX
B450M MORTAR MAX
B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
B450-A PRO MAX

Thank you Very Much, I'm buying from CCL, which does a promotion where if you buy a b450 mobo, with a 3xxx, you get a free bios update :)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Sep 8, 2019
Okay so I was thinking of upgrading some Hardware in my 3 Year old Gaming PC, and was wondering whether it would be worth it, as I have Quite a few Blue screens of death, and lag in Games, For example in the New PVZ game, where I have a 25 mbps connection. My specs are:

• Amd fx-6350 Processor
  • Asrock 970 Pro 3 mobo
  • MSI GTX 970 (two fans)
  • EVGA 850W power supply
  • 8GB ddr3 1600Mhz ram (Corsair vengeance?)
  • 256Gb SSD (samsung)
  • 1tb seagate HDD
  • Arctic Freezer 13 cpu cooler

I currently have a decent MATX case, but was wondering whether to keep or swap

These were the specs I was thinking of upgrading to with a 300-350 Budget.

• Amd Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600X or 3600
  • MSI Gaming Plus MAX B450M mobo,
  • Same Graphics card,
  • Same PSU,
  • 16GB DDR4 3000-3600Mhz
  • Same SSD,
  • Same HDD,,

Possibly same cooler or one of the wraith coolers, possibly buying a second hand Wraith Prism.
Possibly a Sahara P35 (don't know whether a new case is worth getting),

I could save up more of a budget if it is not worth it to do an upgrade which consists of these parts, or if anyone has any suggestions which may be better, please provide!
Thanks in advance :)

WildCard999

Titan
That would be a good upgrade, especially if you could get the 3600. To save some money there are some MSI B450 boards that have been updated to use the 3rd gen CPU's which is the MAX lineup but there not out everywhere. The next option is to get a MSI that uses the BIOS flash feature (button) that allows you to update the BIOS without a CPU. Lastly would be to find a B450 board that has been updated enough to use the newer CPU's.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

The only concern is the BSOD's your getting, are they related to your current hardware?

Sep 8, 2019
That would be a good upgrade, especially if you could get the 3600. To save some money there are some MSI B450 boards that have been updated to use the 3rd gen CPU's which is the MAX lineup but there not out everywhere. The next option is to get a MSI that uses the BIOS flash feature (button) that allows you to update the BIOS without a CPU. Lastly would be to find a B450 board that has been updated enough to use the newer CPU's.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

The only concern is the BSOD's your getting, are they related to your current hardware?
Thank you very much, Don't worry about the Blue Screens , I've sorted them :)

Reactions: WildCard999