[SOLVED] PC upgrade

gregor.hint

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
What PC component should I upgrade or there are no need to upgrade anything? My goal is to get better FPS, to play with higher settings and get a smoother gameplay. For example in XP11.

RAM- hyperX fury DDR4 16GB (2 8GB) 2133mhz
Motherboard- ASUS PRIME Z270-A
CPU- Intel i5 7500 3.40GHZ
Monitors- Benq xl2411 144hz and BenQ GW2470 60hz
GPU- MSI gtx1070
Power supply- corsair cx750M
Case- Binfenix Enso Black RGB
Vans- 4x Bitfenix Spectre PWM black and 1 of these is RGB
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU cooler- default, but temperature is always normal, around 54c

Last edited:
Solution
The main differences will be that it has a higher base and boost clock, without any NEED to overclock. So an i7-7700 will offer better performance than your current i5-7500 but a 7700k will offer better performance, without the need to do anything more than with the 7700, than the 7700 offers.

The i7-7700 has a 3.6Ghz base clock and can boost up to 4.2Ghz but has only a 4Ghz maximum ALL CORE boost speed.

The i7-7700k has a 4.2Ghz base clock and can boost up to 4.5Ghz but has an ALL CORE boost speed of 4.4Ghz so it is about 400mhz faster under any all core demanding sustained operations. Almost half a Ghz faster. That is about as much as most people can squeeze out of an overclock for most CPUs, so for not having to anything special to...
Kind of hard to say since we don't have anything to go on except your RAM, CPU and monitor.

Please list your FULL hardware specifications including graphics card, power supply (Exact model), motherboard, memory kit model number, case model, CPU cooler model and Windows version.

gregor.hint

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Kind of hard to say since we don't have anything to go on except your RAM, CPU and monitor.

Please list your FULL hardware specifications including graphics card, power supply (Exact model), motherboard, memory kit model number, case model, CPU cooler model and Windows version.
RAM- hyperX fury DDR4 16GB (2 8GB) 2133mhz
Motherboard- ASUS PRIME Z270-A
CPU- Intel i5 7500 3.40GHZ
Monitors- Benq xl2411 144hz and BenQ GW2470 60hz
GPU- MSI gtx1070
Power supply- corsair cx750M
Case- Binfenix Enso Black RGB
Fans- 4x Bitfenix Spectre PWM black and 1 of these is RGB
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU cooler- default, but temperature is always normal, around 54c

Last edited by a moderator:
The least expensive upgrade you could do that would make any difference in performance would be to slap an i7-7700k in there which would give you marginally higher clock speeds and four hyperthreads in addition to the four threads your current CPU is capable of. That will offer a minor bump in single threaded performance from the higher clock speed and likely a very good bump in any game that favors multithreaded performance and can leverage the additional threads to good benefit. I'm not sure I'd buy a new one, if you can even find one, due to the cost, but if you could find a reasonably priced used one from a trustworthy seller, it might be worth it.

Putting a 7700k in there AND overclocking it, would offer you an even higher bump in performance, but would require also upgrading the cooling to something a bit more substantial.

Otherwise, any other worthwhile upgrade is going to entail replacing the whole platform, meaning a new motherboard and CPU, and preferably, the memory as well since what you have currently although it would work, is very slow.

Replacing the graphics card isn't any help because it's already more than capable of 144fps at 1080P. I'm assuming you are not gaming on both monitors but instead are using one to game on and the other for your browser or other purposes.

gregor.hint

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
The least expensive upgrade you could do that would make any difference in performance would be to slap an i7-7700k in there which would give you marginally higher clock speeds and four hyperthreads in addition to the four threads your current CPU is capable of. That will offer a minor bump in single threaded performance from the higher clock speed and likely a very good bump in any game that favors multithreaded performance and can leverage the additional threads to good benefit. I'm not sure I'd buy a new one, if you can even find one, due to the cost, but if you could find a reasonably priced used one from a trustworthy seller, it might be worth it.

Putting a 7700k in there AND overclocking it, would offer you an even higher bump in performance, but would require also upgrading the cooling to something a bit more substantial.

Otherwise, any other worthwhile upgrade is going to entail replacing the whole platform, meaning a new motherboard and CPU, and preferably, the memory as well since what you have currently although it would work, is very slow.

Replacing the graphics card isn't any help because it's already more than capable of 144fps at 1080P. I'm assuming you are not gaming on both monitors but instead are using one to game on and the other for your browser or other purposes.
So If I buy i7 7700k , then my RAMs will be fine?

Sure, they are "fine". They are still way slower than you'd like to see for that platform. You could easily run 3000-3200mhz sticks with that system, but what you have will "work" ok. You will just be leaving a small amount of performance on the table. Personally, if it were my system, I'd sell those sticks and get a pair of 3200mhz 2 x8GB sticks. That would be a much better pairing, but what you have now will certainly work well enough.

gregor.hint

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Sure, they are "fine". They are still way slower than you'd like to see for that platform. You could easily run 3000-3200mhz sticks with that system, but what you have will "work" ok. You will just be leaving a small amount of performance on the table. Personally, if it were my system, I'd sell those sticks and get a pair of 3200mhz 2 x8GB sticks. That would be a much better pairing, but what you have now will certainly work well enough.

https://arvutitark.ee/est/tootekata...200MHz-DDR4-CL18-DIMM-HX432C18FB2K2-16-345523
Ok, purchase?

The SSD is not going to make any difference in gaming other than for map and level loading. Get the i7 and the memory if you can find a 7700k at a good price. If you can't then it might make more sense to save the money to put towards a newer motherboard and CPU. An SSD will speed up a lot of things, but it will not give you more FPS while gaming.

gregor.hint

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
The SSD is not going to make any difference in gaming other than for map and level loading. Get the i7 and the memory if you can find a 7700k at a good price. If you can't then it might make more sense to save the money to put towards a newer motherboard and CPU. An SSD will speed up a lot of things, but it will not give you more FPS while gaming.
Is there a big difference between 7700 and 7700k, if I dont want to overclock or there are small differences?

Last edited:
The main differences will be that it has a higher base and boost clock, without any NEED to overclock. So an i7-7700 will offer better performance than your current i5-7500 but a 7700k will offer better performance, without the need to do anything more than with the 7700, than the 7700 offers.

The i7-7700 has a 3.6Ghz base clock and can boost up to 4.2Ghz but has only a 4Ghz maximum ALL CORE boost speed.

The i7-7700k has a 4.2Ghz base clock and can boost up to 4.5Ghz but has an ALL CORE boost speed of 4.4Ghz so it is about 400mhz faster under any all core demanding sustained operations. Almost half a Ghz faster. That is about as much as most people can squeeze out of an overclock for most CPUs, so for not having to anything special to get it, it's a nice gain to have right out of the box.

You will not be able to use the stock cooler with the 7700k though. You WILL need a good aftermarket cooler. Minimum would be something like the Gammaxx 400. Something like the Thermalright Macho rev.B or rev.C, Scythe Mugen rev.B, Noctua NH-U12S, U14S or U12A would be much better though, and would be suitable if you decided to overclock at some later date which wouldn't be a problem because you have a very good motherboard.

The i7-7700 COULD technically use the stock cooler, but I would not recommend it. Something better such as the Gammaxx 400 or Hyper 212 EVO, would be recommended. Technically though, the stock cooler would just barely work with that CPU.

Solution

gregor.hint

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018

The i7-7700k has a 4.2Ghz base clock and can boost up to 4.5Ghz but has an ALL CORE boost speed of 4.4Ghz so it is about 400mhz faster under any all core demanding sustained operations. Almost half a Ghz faster. That is about as much as most people can squeeze out of an overclock for most CPUs, so for not having to anything special to get it, it's a nice gain to have right out of the box.

You will not be able to use the stock cooler with the 7700k though. You WILL need a good aftermarket cooler. Minimum would be something like the Gammaxx 400. Something like the Thermalright Macho rev.B or rev.C, Scythe Mugen rev.B, Noctua NH-U12S, U14S or U12A would be much better though, and would be suitable if you decided to overclock at some later date which wouldn't be a problem because you have a very good motherboard.

The i7-7700 COULD technically use the stock cooler, but I would not recommend it. Something better such as the Gammaxx 400 or Hyper 212 EVO, would be recommended. Technically though, the stock cooler would just barely work with that CPU.
Thank you so much for your support! I’m planning to buy this https://arvutitark.ee/est/tootekata...-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-450-GHz-Tray-237099

That's, rather expensive for a platform that old. Perhaps it's acceptable where you live though? I think if you are going to spend that much for a CPU it might make more sense to simply get a completely new CPU and motherboard that offer much better performance than any of those models. What country are you actually in?

gregor.hint

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
That's, rather expensive for a platform that old. Perhaps it's acceptable where you live though? I think if you are going to spend that much for a CPU it might make more sense to simply get a completely new CPU and motherboard that offer much better performance than any of those models. What country are you actually in?
Estonia

This would be very much worth considering. Especially since you already have the DDR4 memory. This would give you better single core performance and better multithreaded performance, by far, than that 7700k, and is less expensive. You could sell your current system to somebody and make up some of the cost as well. It's an option anyhow if this is something you are able to do and if the shipping costs don't kill you.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€194.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (€113.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €308.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 10:58 CEST+0200

gregor.hint

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
This would be very much worth considering. Especially since you already have the DDR4 memory. This would give you better single core performance and better multithreaded performance, by far, than that 7700k, and is less expensive. You could sell your current system to somebody and make up some of the cost as well. It's an option anyhow if this is something you are able to do and if the shipping costs don't kill you.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€194.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (€113.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €308.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 10:58 CEST+0200
I prefer Intel CPU, any other options with Intel?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor (€159.00 @ ARLT)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€117.80 @ Alza)
Total: €276.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 20:52 CEST+0200

Or if you can scrape a few more bucks together, then would be significantly better.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700F 3 GHz 8-Core Processor (€351.90 @ Alza)
Total: €469.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 20:53 CEST+0200

gregor.hint

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor (€159.00 @ ARLT)
Total: €276.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 20:52 CEST+0200

Or if you can scrape a few more bucks together, then would be significantly better.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700F 3 GHz 8-Core Processor (€351.90 @ Alza)
Total: €469.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-24 20:53 CEST+0200
But are there big differences between i7 7700k, 3200mhz RAMs and these last 2 setups? The price is almost the same, so if there are no big differences in the game. I would prefer to buy i7 7700k and 2 x 8gb 3200mhz RAM sticks.

Last edited:
Yes, there are BIG differences in performance, IF you have a capable enough graphics card.

For your current graphics card, the i5-9400 would be the best upgrade on the Intel side of things. If you have ANY plans to upgrade the graphics card in the next two years or so, then I'd probably recommend that you go with the i7-9700. Both of these configurations are significantly more capable than that 7700k that has only four cores. While it's hyperthreads are helpful, better than without them, they are not as beneficial as having more actual physical cores like both the 9400 and 9700 have compared to the 7700k.

They also have faster SINGLE core performance as well.

gregor.hint

Prominent
Dec 26, 2018
Yes, there are BIG differences in performance, IF you have a capable enough graphics card.

For your current graphics card, the i5-9400 would be the best upgrade on the Intel side of things. If you have ANY plans to upgrade the graphics card in the next two years or so, then I'd probably recommend that you go with the i7-9700. Both of these configurations are significantly more capable than that 7700k that has only four cores. While it's hyperthreads are helpful, better than without them, they are not as beneficial as having more actual physical cores like both the 9400 and 9700 have compared to the 7700k.

They also have faster SINGLE core performance as well.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ How it sounds? Maybe I will buy 1 extra 8GB RAM stick. And like next summer I will buy new GPU. Hope thats OK with my gtx 1070 until I get a new GPU