[SOLVED] PC upgrade

Ateretu

Reputable
Feb 19, 2020
(English isn't my native language, sorry for every mistake)

Hello, I'm planing to upgrade my PC and I need some help :/

So, here is my pc components:

i5 6600k
MSI Z170A M3
Dark Rock Pro 4
GTX 1070 Gaming X
2x8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz
EVGA Supernova G2 650w
2 SSD and 2 HDD

I'm using PC mostly to gaming, occasionally to work

I want to change: CPU, Motherboard, GPU, Memory, and sadly PSU
The order in which I would like to buy it all: CPU,MB>Memory>PSU>GPU

I'm ending school so I think i will get money for everything in 4 months, 5 max

I want to change CPU because this 4 cores i5 is dying a lot in games, still can play in a lot of games ultra/high but sometimes its hard (stuttering is everywhere)
I want to buy R7 3700x with Asus X570 Tuf, should I wait to new 4 generation or buy 3700x? What do you think?

GPU, my 1070 still is giving me 100% power but I think someday it will die. After I bought it has 37*C in idle now it's 60 (GPU has 3 years and 3 months)
I was looking for new graphics card and one caught my eye, namely EVGA RTX2070 Super FTW3, It's so beautiful, is it good gpu to buy in 4 months?

Memory, I want to change them because I heard that Ryzen has some problem with them. I have version which supposedly is working with Ryzen but max 2933Mhz
I was looking for memory and I think I'll go in G.SKILL 4x8GB 32GB 3200Mhz Trident Z RGB is it good memory or should I look for another?

And PSU, I calculated my maximum consumption oscillates around 575W max. So my PSU with these components should work at 85% usage thats high. I also looked for new and found 2, which one will be better? EVGA SuperNova 1200W 80 Plus Platinum or Seasonic Prime TX 1000W 80 Plus Titanium.

Thanks for help!

Solution
Yeah, I agree with the suggestion that you should wait until then to decide on parts. Prices may change, for better or for worse, and new products will come out, so it's hard to make any definitive suggestions now. By that time, Intel's next generation of processors are likely to be available and AMD's might see some additional price adjustments, and a new generation of higher-end graphics cards may also be getting announced (though they probably won't actually go on sale until later in the year).

And PSU, I calculated my maximum consumption oscillates around 575W max. So my PSU with these components should work at 85% usage thats high. I also...
Apr 2, 2020
R7 3700X is a good CPU, I think it should hold strong for a while, so imho no point in waiting for 4 gen. The X570 TUF is also great.
I also own a 1070 and paired with my 8600k I can run 4k games pretty well (40-50FPS), so as long as you don't want to go above 1440p I wouldn't upgrade, but if you want to 4k at around 60 even a 2060 Super would work fine.
Trident Z is imo the best RAM, so no comment there.
1200W PSU is a bit overkill imo, but I am not the best at choosing PSUs, I don't know, imo a RM850x could also work.

Reactions: Ateretu

Ateretu

Reputable
Feb 19, 2020
Thanks for replies!

Okay, so I'll wait and make new post when I'll be ready to buy something of these.
But there's still question about PSU. 850W psu will be enough to this or simillar setup? If so, what power supplies do you recommend?

Apr 2, 2020
Thanks for replies!

Okay, so I'll wait and make new post when I'll be ready to buy something of these.
But there's still question about PSU. 850W psu will be enough to this or simillar setup? If so, what power supplies do you recommend?

As I said, with gold efficiency it should hold up well, I think the RM850x is a good PSU for that PC.

In 5-6 months Comet Lake will be around, although with Intel's recent track record I'm not sure about that. As a guideline, the 3700X, ASUS TUF X570, and G.Skill 3200 RAM combo is a great upgrade path. Though, if I were you I'd keep the old RAM and try to manually tweak them first before pulling the trigger. There's no way your system is consuming 575W either with the 1070 or the 2070 S. You shouldn't worry about the PSU as you probably won't consume anything above 400W if you're not overclocking.

For the GPU, I don't know for sure what's going to happen in 5 months. You can ask again later. If I were you, I'd contact MSI earlier to get a replacement if it idles at 60 C. Sadly I believe most GPUs have only 3 years warranty so you're a bit late.

Ateretu

Reputable
Feb 19, 2020
WoW, that's awesome reply :eek: I think I'm gonna OC this r7 only, I wont oc gpu. So if I put r7 with rtx2070s my 650w supernova should be fine? If so thats awesome information! I'll go for 4x8gb trident and I'll sell my old Vengeance.

Yeah, I agree with the suggestion that you should wait until then to decide on parts. Prices may change, for better or for worse, and new products will come out, so it's hard to make any definitive suggestions now. By that time, Intel's next generation of processors are likely to be available and AMD's might see some additional price adjustments, and a new generation of higher-end graphics cards may also be getting announced (though they probably won't actually go on sale until later in the year).

And PSU, I calculated my maximum consumption oscillates around 575W max. So my PSU with these components should work at 85% usage thats high. I also looked for new and found 2, which one will be better? EVGA SuperNova 1200W 80 Plus Platinum or Seasonic Prime TX 1000W 80 Plus Titanium.
How did you calculate that? A 2070 SUPER should only draw a little over 200 watts from the PSU under load, and a 3700X shouldn't draw much more than 100 watts. Combined with the rest of the system, all components together probably won't ever draw much more than 400 watts from the PSU.

You definitely don't need a 1000+ watt PSU, and even 850 watts would be overkill. Those kinds of PSUs are only really needed for some systems running multiple high-end graphics cards at once. Your existing PSU looks like a good model, and the vast majority of high end systems should get along fine on a 650 watt PSU, so I would just keep that.

Edit: I somehow missed Refillable saying more or less the same thing in their post. But yeah, I would not expect that PSU to be a problem.

Solution
For a R7 3700X + RTX 2070 Super you should be fine with a good 80+ Gold 750w PSU. Going up to 850w is not an insane idea at all, going to +1000w is.

As other mention already if youre going to build the new rig (or start to) in 4~5 months from now, then it may be a smart idea to ask again closer to that time. With the current situation of human malware, and the "maybe" soon to be launched new products from AMD and Intel (in the near future), prices are going to change for sure.

Cheers!!!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS