Question PC upgradefor the new Modern Warfare?

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I have been out of gaming since BF1 and haven’t gamed regularly since COD:MW2 or 3. I would like to play the new Modern Warfare coming this fall, but I don’t want to build a new PC. What can I do to get the most out of this current motherboardand CPU?

Current specs:
Win 10 pro
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU: Intel i5-4690k not currently OC’d and factory cooler.
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 C9 2x4GB
Vid: AMD R470 8GB not OC’d
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Eventually a 27”-30” 4k monitor. no 4k.

The LGA1150 choices in CPU really don’t get me much value for the money. So, I think I get more value with OCing the CPU and a new video card.

Any tips on OCing that CPU on that MB? I think 4.3 will be my limit.
Will the CPU need a new cooler for OC?
What do you think about liquid cooled? the closed loop stuff looks easy enough.
How far should I go in upgrading the video card?
Will better RAM help?
Will more ram help?
Will an M.2 drive help?

Budget of $500ish. Maybe: $300 on a card, $100 on M2, rest on RAM and cooler.

Is it worth it or should I go all new?

Last edited:
Skip the M2 drive and put more into the GPU. An M2 drive won't improve any of your gaming performance especially since you already have an SSD.

The 4690K is still a decent CPU that can handle most of the modern GPUs. I would agree with upgrading the cooler if you want to overclock.

More RAM CAN help, but finding DDR3 at this point is potentially costly.

Last edited:

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
OK, that is what I was thinking. The hard part is me overthinking GPU selection. There are so many specifications and vast differences in price some. How is the best way to select a GPU. I don't want to spend more than $350ish now based on not buying m.2 and also next year PCIe 5.0 will be near or out.

Having a new revision of PCIe on the horizon (which at this point is PCIe 4.0, not 5.0) is irrelevant. You current motherboard has no use for it anyway.

As for the GPU itself, something like a GTX 1660 ti should work well with your current system, depending on what resolution you're currently using.

However, if you go up to a 4K monitor, you'll need something like an RTX 2080 for playable frames which currently is far out of your budget.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Having a new revision of PCIe on the horizon (which at this point is PCIe 4.0, not 5.0) is irrelevant. You current motherboard has no use for it anyway.

snip

However, if you go up to a 4K monitor, you'll need something like an RTX 2080 for playable frames which currently is far out of your budget.

Sorry, I meant I would build a complete new PC for the PCIe 5.0, Also, I know 4.0 is coming out this fall, but I have been reading that 5.0 will be out middle of next year. Either way, no reason to get a new MB until that happens.

Yeah, I have been reading that 4k is expensive currently. I'll skip it.

Thanks.