Question PC Upgrades and Motherboard Swap

Nov 30, 2022
I am upgrading my PC and going from a B450 board to an X570. I'll be adding a new GPU and most concerning to me, a new boot drive. Not worried about the hardware changes so much. Really not sure if I should do a Windows fresh install or just put the old boot ssd in and then clone it to the new, better ssd later, simply hoping for the best. Tips for the order for ssd cloning and backing up Windows/my pc before the swap? Any help thrown my way would be really appreciated!

Nov 30, 2022
Thanks for the help. Possible to give some help on backing up my pc before the swap and how to start with the new boot ssd and moving that old pc back up onto the new pc? Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
I am upgrading my PC and going from a B450 board to an X570. I'll be adding a new GPU and most concerning to me, a new boot drive. Not worried about the hardware changes so much. Really not sure if I should do a Windows fresh install or just put the old boot ssd in and then clone it to the new, better ssd later, simply hoping for the best. Tips for the order for ssd cloning and backing up Windows/my pc before the swap? Any help thrown my way would be really appreciated!
Cloning your current OS is irrelevant.
You're going to do a full wipe and reinstall.

For the OS licensing/activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, I got the key from a secondary source. I do have an old prebuilt with a Windows key associated with it. Wonder if I could use that for a fresh install?
From a prebuilt, probably not.

Consider this...

A valid retail Windows license is ~$100.
How much are you spending on the hardware?
How long will you use this Windows license?
How much do you spend on games or other software?

In the overall experience, a real Windows license for $100 is pretty cheap, considering you may be using this same license for a decade or so, crossing several different systems.

Nov 30, 2022
From a prebuilt, probably not.

Consider this...

A valid retail Windows license is ~$100.
How much are you spending on the hardware?
How long will you use this Windows license?
How much do you spend on games or other software?

In the overall experience, a real Windows license for $100 is pretty cheap, considering you may be using this same license for a decade or so, crossing several different systems.
Hmm, I'll try first just to see. Anyone have a legit source for cheap Windows keys?