Question PC Upgrading Leading To Failed Motherboards and SATA Drive

Aug 21, 2021
I have a total head scratcher on my hands! I recently got my hands on a 3080 through the Newegg shuffle and started my path to upgrade to a blazing fast PC for the first time in my life. You can imagine the excitement. I wanted to reuse my HDs and case, but everything else would be new.

Here is the build parts I'm attempting

After installing everything I flipped the power switch and the fan LEDs blinked for a second then went off. No problem I thought, maybe normal. When I pressed the power button on the tower there was a click within the PSU and then nothing happened. I cycled power to the PSU and tried again. This time there was a buzz and a little puff of gray smoke either from the PSU or solid state drive, I couldn't tell which. I remove all the unnecessary connections from the power supply and try again with just the CPU installed and CPU power / main MB power connector. No power to anything. I try with a known working power supply, still no power to anything. I assemble the old PC again and it works, minus the solid state drive not being recognized anymore.

I think bad power supply and/or mother board. I take it to microcenter for them to troubleshoot it. They tell me a bad power supply. I told them I know, but I think it's also the MB or CPU. They hook a working PSU up and see that it doesn't power anything. The guy tells me to return everything and buy a premade from them with a 3070 in it (which they didn't have, as you can imagine).

I return the motherboard and power supply and get new ones. I reinstalled everything today and powered on, same issue, except without the smoke. This time the 4 LEDS in the bottom right corner of the motherboard and the backlight LEDS would flash around, then stay lit for about 10 seconds before all the lights would go out. I wish I would have started with just the CPU and RAM connected, but the excitement got the better of me.

I also did install the 3080 in my old build and it does power on, I just get no output (I have a 650W PSU, I assume not enough juice, + only 1 VGA power connector for it on my old PSU when it has 3 input slots on the card). I tried to power my old build with the new PSU and I get power to everything except SATA. It provided power to my GPU and CPU but none of the case fans would turn on (CPU fan did).

At this point I have no idea what the issue could be. My plan is to buy a different motherboard and a new PSU and try again. I'm also planning to replace all the standoffs I can. I researched this issue and couldn't find anything. The case is listed as compatible with the motherboard in all the locations I can find info. I also didn't see any information about needing to remove certain standoffs before installing the board.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! I'm about 20 hours of troubleshooting in, including 5 hours of driving back and forth to microcenter, dealing with newegg tech support and customer support, etc etc etc. o_O

Aug 21, 2021
Were old and new PSUs both modular?
Did you reuse old cables with new PSU?

PSU cables are not compatible between different models. You can kill/damage your hardware by using wrong modular cables.

Old PSU was semi-modular, new PSU is full modular.
The first time I did reuse the old cables, but in the new build I used all new cables with the PSU, I'm 99% sure. It is quite possible I didn't change over the SATA power cable....which would 100% explain the situation if true. I still don't THINK I reused it. All signs point to me being the Ahole though!

Edit: The more I think about it the first time I did reuse the CPU power and SATA power cable. The second time was just the SATA cable. Each time I used the new main MB connector, so hopefully I didn't blow the new RAM or GPU. The CPU I'm more worried about since I know I shared cables there.

Last edited: