[SOLVED] PC usable normally; Except instantly rebooting with no warns/BSODs when loading into gameplay

Dec 10, 2020
And I repeat: The PC Immediately Reboots, it doesn't shut down, even with Restore on Power Loss OFF.

All parts except the GPU are new(Although I can use the GPU completely fine on my very much older rig, and I know it because I spent a day playing and beating Dying Light normally on it.), and the mobo got RMAd, is brand new, and does indeed have latest BIOS.

To reproduce this issue, I need to start a game(any game works), load into gameplay, do stuff from 1 second to several minutes, and it'll instantly reboot. There isn't a single BSOD, error, message warning or log after I'm back on Windows, not even on BIOS.
And again, this happens on ANY game. Halo MCC seems the hardest one to run into this issue(Halo 4 tested only) immediately after loading.

I've already done an AVX2 test on OCCT on my PSU, AVX on my CPU, did a Cinebench test and nothing seems to happen, my computer still runs fine.

PS: I have two recordings to show the issue if they are necessary, but I'm unsure if I can post links to them, so I'll refrain until I can. I also have one screenshot thanks to a friend watching me stream on Discord, of the last second before my PC restarted.

GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA Geforce GT 1030 Low Profile 2GB GDDR5(Drivers: Game Ready Driver 457.51)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Cache 32MB 3.8GHz (4.4GHz Max Turbo) AM4
Storage: SSD Adata XPG Gammix S11 Pro, 512GB, M.2 NVMe
Motherboard: Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming, AMD AM4, ATX, DDR4
PSU: Corsair 650W 80 Plus Bronze CX650

Solution
There is no BSOD codes. It just restarts. Immediately. Doesn't even wait.

I'm willing to bet that Corsair CX is the culprit. That GTX 1030 does not require a lot of power, but chances are good that your PSU is either dead or failing. If you have another PSU (one that is of considerably much better quality) I would try hooking that up first to see if that is indeed the issue.
Not sure if you have kids or pets, but have you tried to build your system over a cardboard or a wooden table and use it like that for a few days?

Have you tried other peripherals (like diferent mouse and keyboard), and also to unplug every other USB thingy you don't need?

g-unit1111

Titan
There is no BSOD codes. It just restarts. Immediately. Doesn't even wait.

I'm willing to bet that Corsair CX is the culprit. That GTX 1030 does not require a lot of power, but chances are good that your PSU is either dead or failing. If you have another PSU (one that is of considerably much better quality) I would try hooking that up first to see if that is indeed the issue.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it's one of the older ones, sure. If it's the 2017 revision, then I think the PSU is unlikely to be the issue.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, if the CX part on the label is green, it's definitely an older one. Here's an example of the difference, but it's on the CXM

IEtU5OkNaHan-vRxBZUrfSc0IDTwSp207KW17N6PWbs.png

However, I guess you can also check your order history if you bought it online. I believe the 2017 ones have a 5 year warranty, whereas the older ones have a shorter warranty (don't hold me 100% to this, though)

Dec 10, 2020
Well, if the CX part on the label is green, it's definitely an older one. Here's an example of the difference, but it's on the CXM

IEtU5OkNaHan-vRxBZUrfSc0IDTwSp207KW17N6PWbs.png

However, I guess you can also check your order history if you bought it online. I believe the 2017 ones have a 5 year warranty, whereas the older ones have a shorter warranty (don't hold me 100% to this, though)
Yep, 5 year warranty and no green, so definitely 2017 revision.

g-unit1111

Titan
If it's one of the older ones, sure. If it's the 2017 revision, then I think the PSU is unlikely to be the issue.

Yes I agree with your reasoning but we can't rule out that possibility. Even the best PSUs are prone to failure, I've experienced that. There's plenty of other factors that could be causing this too, like a dead memory module or likely something got bent / broken on the motherboard.

Dec 10, 2020
Update that I've sent it out to be checked and find what is the part that's malfunctioning. I don't wish to waste RMA so soon with brand new parts(specially after I already did with the mobo and nothing having changed) and...testing this out, trying to figure out what is causing this practically stressed me to unreal levels. Hopefully I get a answer in less than a week, though I hope it's not the PSU.

Dec 10, 2020
And another update: They've tested both my Geforce GT 1030, and their RX 550, and it seems the PC restarted in both 3 tests with my own GPU, while the RX 550 did well, it went like this.

GT 1030 | RX 550
Failed | Passed - Benchmark Heaven(Extreme)
Failed | Passed - Stress Test
Failed | Passed - DW9 Trial Game

I find it odd since it works just fine on my older PC(A Lenovo Thinkcentre m90p), without any restarts even after 1 year of use, but it's a little unfortunate, seems I'll have to use my old PC with this GPU until I can afford a new one, though it'll likely be hard to find a card with decent pricing here in Brazil with the price spikes recently. It's a little unfortunate the problem wasn't the other parts or I could have just switched them, but I guess I'm stuck with my m90p and GT 1030 until the prices lower, while the new PC is stashed away

Last edited: