Question PC using too much RAM

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'll be honest, looks perfectly normal to me.
How much RAM do you have installed exactly?

Obviously fornite is using the most when it's running.
Chrome is a RAM hog. Especially with multiple tabs.
Bitdefender (and any AV) tends to use about that in the background
Running Discord with the game will run as it shows.
You're also running iTunes.

ultimately, lots of background processes running that will all consume RAM.

Raees007

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
I have 32GB of RAM installed at the moment. I used to have 24GB and it would use 17GB of RAM when I was just on netflix. Didn’t know background processes just used as much RAM as it wanted to. I also thought that viewing the user RAM usage was accurate?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
All 8 sticks are the same brand, model and speed. In my picture of RAM usage you’ll see it’s only about 70mb hardware reserved.
But are they from mixed packs?
Them being the same model is irrelevant, ram is only guaranteed compatibility and no conflict in the form sold (from the same pack) as two modules of the same model RAM can be made very differently, thus they may as well not be the same at all.

Not saying it is the cause, but mixed , modules can easily cause this kind of problem.

I would also use resource monitor to check processes using RAM in the background. Presumably you've also ran full system virus scans?

Raees007

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
Them being the same model is irrelevant, ram is only guaranteed compatibility and no conflict in the form sold (from the same pack) as two modules of the same model RAM can be made very differently, thus they may as well not be the same at all.

Not saying it is the cause, but mixed , modules can easily cause this kind of problem.

I would also use resource monitor to check processes using RAM in the background. Presumably you've also ran full system virus scans?

I’ve done the full system virus scan using Bitdefender, my PC is safe. I think it’s just a thing of background processing using as much memory as it likes.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I’ve done the full system virus scan using Bitdefender, my PC is safe. I think it’s just a thing of background processing using as much memory as it likes.
Have you check resource monitor?
Do you have all latest drivers installed?, including chipset/MB drivers?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Is your OS up to date?
Are you running any overclock or XMP at all?

Raees007

Reputable
Jan 22, 2017
Have you check resource monitor?
Do you have all latest drivers installed?, including chipset/MB drivers?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Is your OS up to date?
Are you running any overclock or XMP at all?
I’ve restarted my PC, so I’m only using 6GB of RAM right now, this is only using chrome for Netflix. Everything is up to date, latest BIOS aswell. No overclocks or XMP. I think it’s just when I let my PC run for too long without a restart.

Reactions: PC Tailor