PC Vendors Cautious About High Cost of Windows 8 PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I spent years working on a point of sale help desk. Many of the computers I had to work on had touch screens and keyboards only. I had a usb mouse with me however many times the USB ports or USB controllers were messed up, or windows / linux was so messed it would not install the mouse.

Working on a Touch screen PC is not at all fun. It was cool and fun for about 20 minutes after that my arms got tired. It’s just not a comfortable way to work. There is a reason most people write on a horizontal surface and not on a vertical surface.

Touch screens are a good cash register interface but they won’t go far on the personal PC.

If touch screens are too much then why dont they look into other avenues like motion tracking and guesturing with the new kinnect 2 coming out?

Most of us don't want touch on anything larger than a 14-17" screen anyways.

G

They will climb into Mac price territory for stuff people just don't want. Tablets are toys for most people. PCs are business machines. Windows 8 is a toy OS. It belongs on a tablet but not on a business PC. If they can make the OS convertible like the Intel ultrabook form factor, then maybe it will have some use but it will be very expensive.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I've used a computer with a 32" horizontal touch-based interface, a la Microsoft Surface. It was a pretty fun experience but it had its uses, none of which would've fit the home or productivity user.

G

Windows 8 core is improved from Windows 7, I'm considering upgrading to windows 8 then installing Classic Shell to get the old start menu back.

However, if metro is too annoying, I may go back to Windows 7.

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I smell a vista redux. Unless the release version of windows 8 is lightyears better than the current pre-release, I don't see this OS doing well. The new "metro" interface is sloppy and ridiculous to use on regular desktop pcs. The omission of the programs tab in the start menu is stupid. You either have to use the metro interface, keep loads of thumbnails on your desktop, or use a 3rd party solution.

Win8 is trying to do a number of things with a new UI, and failing HARD. If you didn't know that moving the cursor to different sides of the screen did anything, you would never know about it. Try using that feature with multiple monitors btw....fun.

Touch screen doesn't work with desktop use. Period. Reaching up to touch a display is as counter-productive as anything I could imaging. A retinal interface would be a better solution.

When will someone develop an OS with an html/css style GUI that can be customized/stylized in an open source way. Users could develop their own interface, as well as 3rd party developers. Windows has had the same basic interface since Windows 95, a small menu bar and an entire screen of wasted space. It hasn't changed because there is no single GUI solution.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Dumbest idea ever. Why didn't they just make a tablet version of the Windows 8 OS and a desktop version. The touch input is completely pointless for a desktop computer.

I know you can just turn off metro UI, but it just seems like they tried to make an all-inclusive OS instead of doing the smart thing and customizing a version of Windows 8 for tablet.

In the future, when a tablet sized computer can be as powerful as custom built PC powerhouse, then I can see tablets replacing desktops. Until then, they are 2 totally separate markets. Microsoft needs to learn this.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
It may take a while but people will realize that a touch screen on a PC is not a good alternative to keyboard and mouse. Try lifting your arm 8h a day in an office environment to touch something on the screen for navigation etc.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]It may take a while but people will realize that a touch screen on a PC is not a good alternative to keyboard and mouse. Try lifting your arm 8h a day in an office environment to touch something on the screen for navigation etc.[/citation]
Touchscreen on a PC (with a verticle screen) is a novelty that I doubt will catch on.

zrobbb

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
I like how windows is now, it may not particularly attractive, but its easy to use, everything is in a good place, its very productive and does everything MOST people want it too, and touch screen desktops sound truly awful. mouse and keyboard is perfect, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I fear this is going to fail so hard!

halcyon

Splendid
I think when you first fire Windows up it should ask you if you want to enable the Metro UI for touch or stick with the "classic" Windows 7 "aero" UI. They could make a lot of people happy with a choice like that.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
[citation][nom]illo[/nom]I thought the prediction was that windows 8 will fail miserably?[/citation]

Cost of hardware to support features some of us just don't want/need and won't even be widely supporting by software aimed at Windows platform (mostly from inside Microsoft i.e. did MS make an effort to design worstation software to support Windows 8? nope just trying to hawk the unhawkable, XP/Win7 replacement, to consumers who aren't interested in spending more on All-in-One PCs, including OS license(s), in one shot at retail)..

I'm still surprised OEMs cared enough about supporting Windows to drag this anchor along for so long.

thefiend1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
[citation][nom]dormantreign[/nom]Yeah, that is my prediction as well. I ain't having anything to do with it. I moved from xp to 7 and i'm staying here for years yet![/citation]

Unless they decide to not support windows 7 anymore to force people into upgrading to windows 8, like they did with XP.

[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]I think when you first fire Windows up it should ask you if you want to enable the Metro UI for touch or stick with the "classic" Windows 7 "aero" UI. They could make a lot of people happy with a choice like that.[/citation]

I know this is kinda nit-picking, but I don't use the Aero interface, I use the Classic interface on my computers and I would like to have it as an option as well.

[citation][nom]clownbaby[/nom]I smell a vista redux. Unless the release version of windows 8 is lightyears better than the current pre-release, I don't see this OS doing well. The new "metro" interface is sloppy and ridiculous to use on regular desktop pcs. The omission of the programs tab in the start menu is stupid. You either have to use the metro interface, keep loads of thumbnails on your desktop, or use a 3rd party solution. Win8 is trying to do a number of things with a new UI, and failing HARD. If you didn't know that moving the cursor to different sides of the screen did anything, you would never know about it. Try using that feature with multiple monitors btw....fun. Touch screen doesn't work with desktop use. Period. Reaching up to touch a display is as counter-productive as anything I could imaging. A retinal interface would be a better solution.When will someone develop an OS with an html/css style GUI that can be customized/stylized in an open source way. Users could develop their own interface, as well as 3rd party developers. Windows has had the same basic interface since Windows 95, a small menu bar and an entire screen of wasted space. It hasn't changed because there is no single GUI solution.[/citation]

... You've never gone to softpedia.com and looked through the many different shells/GUIs for Windows, have you? If you don't like the Windows UI, then you can just go to softpedia.com and download a few and see if you like any of them better.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
The conclusion of the article suggests that demand for Windows 8 PCs may not be as strong as it is cracked up to be
Consumers that have had the "privilege" of test-driving the new OS have had the same consensus for months now. As said, this is going to be a novelty, it will wear off shortly, and people will be rummaging for their mice and keyboards. I cannot get over how stubborn MS would be to continually push forward with this thing even with all of the consumer negativity BEFORE it even launches. Keep it off of our desktop computer guys.........

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
[citation][nom]alxianthelast[/nom]I'm still surprised OEMs cared enough about supporting Windows to drag this anchor along for so long.[/citation]

They really don't have a choice. People know how to use Windows and there aren't any viable alternatives for the low-end consumer market (which it what this article is about).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS