PC Version Of 'Need for Speed' Delayed, More Time Needed For Unlocked Frame Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
The irony in today`s gaming... Games developed on PC for consoles (dumbed down PCs) that can`t run properly on PC .... come onnnn ... consoles must DIE to be honest.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
@dstart3 yeah haha, I remember his scathing analysis. Tying physics, speeds, time, etc. to a frame-rate is pretty damn backwards (at least on PC). Hopefully the heavy backlash against games like that, and batman will get devs back on the right track. For example, mad max is performing exemplary.

I'm ok to wait for this, just as long as it turns out very well. It might even earn them a sale from me.

whimseh

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Why is this a thing now? PC gamers don't have to make anything clear, I guess 30 FPS is "standard" now because modern garbage consoles can only handle that. Pretty sure it doesn't take months to add or fix this, they just want it to be console exclusive without pissing people off.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Why is this a thing now? PC gamers don't have to make anything clear, I guess 30 FPS is "standard" now because modern garbage consoles can only handle that. Pretty sure it doesn't take months to add or fix this, they just want it to be console exclusive without pissing people off.

Some games can't even hold a steady 30fps.

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

You'd be surprised how how hard it can be when an entire game, and an entire engine is build to link physics to framerate which this probably is for xbone and ps4. Meaning PC is going to essentially get a completely rebuild, and re-optimized game. I was already ready to make this my first preorder, literally ever, I'm a bit sour that I'll have to wait until..The oculus rift releases that requires 90 FPS to get it.>_> ,,,, Illuminati confirmed

It is a bad reason.
Unlocking FPS is something that can be done in around 20 seconds if you know where in the code to do it.
If they want to improve the compatibility so that PC versions dont run like donkeys ass, then its a better reason.

Here is the problem: They cant admit that that is the case.
Admiting that they need more time for compatibility would state that PCs are capable of FAR better graphics, but games are not optimized for pcs so we get junk instead.

But since the average consumer understands locked or unlocked 30 fps, that is the language they use.
In other words, this company is lieing again, so trusting them on this claim is as ludicrous as any of the other idiotic claims we get from game developers nowdays.

Minilogue

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Anyhow, I'm not getting excited for another NFS game again, I'd be crazy to after so many subpar releases.
It was a loved franchise, now they churn out releases taking advantage of the lack of proper racing game releases.

The last NFS I enjoyed is 15 years old and was the PC version, not the crappy PS1 version (Porsche Unleashed). In any event, there has been a void in racing games/sims for the past several years, even in the PC world. Of course iRacing has been around a while but that's online only. Fortunately, PC sim racing is even making it over to the console (Project Cars, with Assetto Corsa and DiRT Rally to come to the PS4/XBone). PCars 2 is in the works right now and Slightly Mad Studios is selling early release "investment opportunities" just like in the first version.

Of course console only users can always continue to go for the F1, Forza, and Gran Tourismo series, even though they are more arcade racers than true sim racers.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I honestly don't mind a delay as long as they improve the pc version instead of having a straight port. Why developers don't start development on the pc first then port it down to the consoles instead of the backward development of making a game on the console and then porting it to the pc? That's like developing the game on a handheld then porting it over to the console. Finally, Ghost Games are responsible for the last disaster, NFS Rivals which had locked frame rates and required you to own an xbox controller. The game did not accept any other controller unless you hack the program to make it think you were using an xbox controller. Furthermore, you couldn't even remap the buttons. It's one of the worst pc ports in history so I will wait long for reader reviews on this game.

dstarr3

Distinguished

That's not true at all. Sure, some games allow you to edit a config file, but a lot of games hard-code the game logic to be dependent on frame rate, and thus the frame rate is locked so that all users have the same experience. Sometimes they're locked at 60, sometimes they're locked at 30. Here's what happened when Total Biscuit unlocked the framerate on the last NFS game where the logic was tied to framerate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDA37BmvNwM

about: "consoles must die" comment.

I'm a PC gamer. However, if you think killing off consoles would help PC gaming you'd be wrong. It would hurt. It's too complicated to get into here though.

A few further points though:
1) Most people that game don't have hardware that can play games better than a console.

2) A lot of game code scales quite well now. Like anti-aliasing, shadows, tessellation etc. With DX12 and better game engines properly scaling between different systems is getting easier.

3) Consoles will end up dominating the home gaming space. Another generation will give true 1080p/60FPS and much better graphics. There will always be features that makes PC gaming on expensive machines better but I think we'll see PC gaming slowly disappear after roughly 2020 with new consoles.

*I think the XBOX 2020 machine will be an x86 machine as well to ensure true backwards compatibility without emulation. Thus, we will retain all the XBOX ONE titles (possibly all at 60FPS), XBOX 360 emulation titles (possibly all at 60FPS), and by then game STREAMING will have become a thing (though streaming has limitations such as latency and bandwidth).

Status
Not open for further replies.