Lncas

Prominent
May 27, 2021
Hello -

A few days ago, my PC started acting very slow out of completely nowhere (desktop, browsing, gaming, anything you can really think of began acting up).

Context: I was playing a video game and my frames dipped to 15-30 fps out of nowhere (and didn't go back up), whereas I normally get 100-120fps in that particular game. Then, when I exited out of the game, my desktop began slowing down. I would Right Click the desktop and it would take 2-3 seconds for the box that normally shows up when you right click, to show up. This isn't just happening to that game, though - it's every single game I play. Every app from then on, video game or not, began acting very slow (way slower than usual). My PC has also began crashing/turning off by itself completely randomly (I don't know what could've done it). I would turn it back on and (sometimes) it wouldn't even load Windows 10, nor would my monitor show anything but black... keep in mind, the PC was on at the time - it was making noise and the light on the computer case was on.

Here are some things my PC has started doing since: Slow right-click (on browser, desktop, desktop folders, etc), slow loading and booting of apps, abnormally low FPS in games, crashing out of nowhere, would turn on but display nothing on my monitor; and sometimes it would make a loud noise... the noise sounded like very rapid, somewhat-loud clicks.

Here are the things I've tried so far: Most recently, I've factory reset my PC (but chose the option to keeps files and uninstall apps), cleaned the back-panel fan, used DDU to uninstall and reinstall all drivers (in safe mode), uninstalled things from my SSD and HDD to see if they were too full, and I've tried to reset my CMOS with a screwdriver, as I don't have a jumper cap... I'm not sure if the CMOS reset worked, though.

I've done as much as I can think of, and I'd be ecstatic if I didn't have to take it to microcenter and have them run a diagnostic, and even more so if I didn't have to buy a new PC part (though, that might have to be what I end up doing), hence why I'm here. Any help would be very appreciated - I'll be keeping up with this thread. Thank you!

SPECS: Nothing is Overclocked - PcPartPicker list is linked if you need more details
Motherboard: MSI B350 Mate ATX AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (3.4ghz, 8-core)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2 x 8 GB, DDR4)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD, and Samsung EVO 1TB SSD

Lncas

Prominent
May 27, 2021
what the cpu/gpu temp?
check hdd/sdd health?
Thank you for the response -
My GPU temp while running a demanding app (video game in my case) is around 57-60C, and my CPU temp while running the same app is a steady 75C, but it's minimum and maximum temp is 75*C (it says this through the app "Core Temp" that I downloaded). If I'm NOT running a demanding app, my GPU temp is 42-44C, and CPU 77C. I'm not sure what you meant by checking the HDD and SSD's health, but I tried something through CMD prompt - I opened cmd and typed in: wmic diskdrive get model,status and it said the status of both of my drives is "OK". I found that through a PCMag article and apparently it's called checking the S.M.A.R.T. status.