[SOLVED] PC Video or Stream completely stops when browsing

deNameMo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
It's late right now so I apologize if I don't reply right away or provide insufficent information and will fix that in the morning.

My pc or rather entire network has been acting extremely weird for a couple weeks now.
Nowadays whenever I have a video or even worse, livestream up and even just open up a new tab and search for anything or worse click on a full-fledged site, it seems like the new tab is completely sucking the bandwidth or blocking the stream until it's done, after which the stream infrequently but in similar intervals buffers for a good second (<--Other site keep alive packets?)

Before, obviously this never happend, I was able to download and watch at the same time while downloading on my phone as well (example of how capable the network was, 100down, 10 or 40 up). Nowadays, if I download and watch a stream simultaniously, the stream won't play at all until I stop the download.

(Weird Buffering) Tonight I was downloading even at 350kb/s @ github, yes 300KB/s on github, and the stream just stopped playing completely, 300kb/s of work should not wreck a gigabit LAN & 100down network. Ever. (Btw download speeds are not broken, steam works @ fullspeed, this was just a bad github mirror?).

Wireshark shows for the multiple sites I tested / opened, packets with all the same SYN Packet but massive amounts of ACKs, as if the site or my pc sends the same package but dozens and dozens of times.

This all started (maybe, not sure) when I changed my router's IPV4 settings from ,200 max ip to ,254, I clicked apply but then realized that one of my smart sevices has .254 static ip and that I should probably not touch this section anyway, what's the point for me/the purpose...., so I changed the number back / clicked reset and kept my fingers away.

I have a pihole which according to the devs is not the culprit (through logs). Also the pihole has worked flawlessly for over a year.
My phone is also now always showing "restricted connection/bad connection", when I connect to my wifi, which has never happend to me before.

Last edited:
Solution
On your pc run the following (without quotes) via the Command prompt:

"ipconfig /all"

"arp -a"

Post the results.

If you only have 6 devices you do not need to use the full range of DHCP addresses.

Local DNS Server is 192.168.178.130- correct? (Note using Google translator: German ---> English. Is that the applicable translation?)

Any devices assigned a static IP should be given a static IP address that is outside of the available DHCP IP range and reserved for that device via the device's MAC.

I would use use 192.168.178.2 to 192.168.178.9 for static IP addresses and then 192.168.178.20 to 192.168.178.30 for the DHCP IP address range.,

With the router/gateway being 192.168.178.1

But do not start changing anything...

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model router?

How many network devices?

What/where exactly did you "so I changed the number back / clicked reset "?

Does your router have any windows/pages that show all connected devices along with their respective IP address (be it DHCP or Static) and MAC?

deNameMo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
Make and model router?

How many network devices?

What/where exactly did you "so I changed the number back / clicked reset "?

Does your router have any windows/pages that show all connected devices along with their respective IP address (be it DHCP or Static) and MAC?
Fritzbox 7530.
6 incl. the pihole since it's also a net device + its running an apache server
Screenshot-20211027-015909-1.jpg
IPV4 Routes in Network Settings.
I changed the DHCP Range (to Range) from .200 to 254, hit apply but then clicked on reset at the bottom, so it changed back to .200.
I factory reseted the box as well, no difference.

Yes it does.

Ralston18

Titan
On your pc run the following (without quotes) via the Command prompt:

"ipconfig /all"

"arp -a"

Post the results.

If you only have 6 devices you do not need to use the full range of DHCP addresses.

Local DNS Server is 192.168.178.130- correct? (Note using Google translator: German ---> English. Is that the applicable translation?)

Any devices assigned a static IP should be given a static IP address that is outside of the available DHCP IP range and reserved for that device via the device's MAC.

I would use use 192.168.178.2 to 192.168.178.9 for static IP addresses and then 192.168.178.20 to 192.168.178.30 for the DHCP IP address range.,

With the router/gateway being 192.168.178.1

But do not start changing anything yet. Let's see what the ipconfig and arp results reveal.

Especially because the router was reset.

Solution