Question PC video! stuttering-freezes during everything

Tnq

Jun 24, 2019
Hello,

I've been getting this problem for 5-6 weeks now. Thing is, PC video starts stuttering (sound continues to play normally as if the video was still moving without problem) after some time during anything i do, even during the least demanding processes, such as watching movies or browsing the youtube. At first, it begins as a classic stutter and it slowly becomes a freeze so great that it could take 20-30 seconds before i can perform any action (might be important to mention that i can hover over folders/icons, even click on them, but they won't respond - also, sound is still playing normally as if the video is not frozen) only for it to freeze again one or two seconds later and last even longer. This happens approximately once or twice per day. It never stops on its own, only after i force restart my PC. Temperature is normal, PC cleaned for dust completely every month, thermal paste reapplied a couple of months ago, all drivers are frequently updated, Windows 10 PRO 64-bit updated regularly.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GDDR5 4GB
RAM: G. Skill TridentX 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 500GB
PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W
Nothing is overclocked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Annoying problem, been there tried it :cautious:
I dont have a solution, but some suggestions to try.

Try update the driver for your graphics card.
Clear all buffers and do a system & disk clean on the PC.
Wont harm anything may not help on this problem.

Do you get a help message on the screen when you are on youtube?
Something like "we have noticed interrupted video, you need help?"
Then follow this help suggestion, usually on setting up buffers.

Tnq

Jun 24, 2019
Annoying problem, been there tried it :cautious:
I dont have a solution, but some suggestions to try.

Try update the driver for your graphics card.
Clear all buffers and do a system & disk clean on the PC.
Wont harm anything may not help on this problem.

Do you get a help message on the screen when you are on youtube?
Something like "we have noticed interrupted video, you need help?"
Then follow this help suggestion, usually on setting up buffers.

All drivers are updated, only thing i haven't tried yet is reinstalling Windows, but i'd prefer to keep that option as one of the last resorts.

There are no messages on YouTube or anywhere else, just simple and plain freeze (Video not playing at all, as if i paused it) with sound still playing in the background without a single stutter.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
If you end up reinstall (repair from boot menu) - choose the option with retaining your data.
This will give you a fresh windows system folder, renaming your old windows folder, and retain your data.

You dont have to download a USB install stick.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
BTW: do you have the same problem on all video resolution setting on YT ?
If you suddenly get a continous video on a lower (blurred :rolleyes:) video setting, you know its a network bandwidth issue.
You may have the fastest home LAN router and LAN card installed, but it is still governed by the incoming WAN network bandwidth.
And vice-versa.

Someone - or something - may eat up your bandwidth.
Any new devices coupled up to your network since the last 2-3 weeks ?

Tnq

Jun 24, 2019
Update:

I've tried reinstalling the OS, but the problem still persists. However, i've noticed now that GPU Utilization freezes at -1% (minus 1%) and doesn't deviate from it, even if some game/program runs in the background. Has anyone run into the same problem before or has any knowledge about it ?

@kaehligj - I used YouTube as an example, it happens everywhere, even during single player games. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the internet.