Question Pc vs Phone speed.

Sep 8, 2019
I know there is a variety of these posts but none seem to match my issue

i use a arris surfboard modem svg2482AC 3.0Dosc 4 gigabit ports and supports up to 1750mbs wifi all in one modem router voice hub.

i have a 600mbs extreme plan from comcast the plan right below fiber (it was 50$ less per month and 600mbs is plenty) the reps told me this modem router all in one that i purchased is good enough to support there gig speed plan no issue so it shouldent have any issues here.

So i know i wont see that 600mbs wireless irregardless because of factors such as signal loss interference etc etc that wifi encounters.

i have my 2/4ghz antena disabled as i get faster speed tests etc with just the 5ghz active.

my pc has a netgear 6100AC dual band adapter which is rated at 150mbs at 2.4ghz and 433mbs top speed @ 5.0ghz

my iphone has a AC (built in) wifi antena capable of around 300mbs ( what all iphones have)

now my adapter is rated at better speeds than my phone if i do the same test in the same location my iphone will ping at right around the given speed it can take (its a 7s model) will hit 220-310mbs steady.

My pc on the other hand will never exceed 170mbs wireless.

I have all current MOBO drivers and wireless adapter drivers installled.

Yesterday my Pc had a link speed of 325MBPS today nothing has changed other than rebooting my pc that same link is at 225mbps now and my downloads are even slower on pc but just the same on mobile.

is this adapter poop? Why would my link speed change by 100mbps and would getting a gigabit internet adapter help me get more speed out of my connection.

or should i go the drill a hole in the wall and run a ethernet cord to pc to get my full speed.

i contacted comcast about the issue they did a bunch of "troubleshooting" aka resetting my modem like 3x from there end and sending a "signal" to it and nothing happened the best solution they have for me is to send a tech and charge me 70$ to fix whatever it may be.

id like to save myself 70$ as im pretty tech savy and understand how networking generally works. is it just a bad adapter. and if i run a ethernet cable should i bee seeing speed close to that 600mbs?

Sep 8, 2019
oh, my bad, didnt noticed u wrote it before
theres not much u can do with antenna-less wifi dong, other then try another position ie vertical/horizontal, or putting it on usb extend cable to move it arround
i ran a ethernet cable into my room and got 680mbs download on tests steady over and over so i suspect i have crap wifi adapter on my pc evenm with its supposed rating

i was hoping with wifi to get around 300-400mbs download on a 600mbs speed plan with loss of strength and interferance and all that jazz. will just drill a tiny hole and run a ethernet into my room instead and get the full speed and some instead

TRENDING THREADS