Cpu - i7-3770
Gpu - Gigibyte GTX 780TI OC 3GB
Motherboard - Gigibyte H77m
Ram - Kingstom HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 1600mhz
SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
HDD - WD Black 3TB
Psu - FSP Aurum Gold 650w
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Around a month ago I installed windows 10 on a brand new ssd, until around 5 days ago it has been running perfectly. For some reason now when I put my desktop to sleep it wakes up 5-15 min later. I've dealt with this before in Win 8.1, disabling wake timers and network card options did the trick previously, but this time I cant figure it out.

In event manager the error that always shows up at the time of waking is "Event ID 129: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0" (source: storeahci)."
I am not running raid, though I am running in ahci mode. I am also using a New 3tb WD Black HDD for storage.

I rolled back using recovery to the 9th of September and it seemed to work initially. It did not wake up until I used my it, but after playing a game and putting it back into sleep mode the problem reared its head again...

Would appreciate any help.

I'd start by making sure you have the very latest bios version installed. Next, I'd disable "fast restart" in the control panel power options. Third, I'd make sure that in the most recent Intel chipset and other drivers for your motherboard are installed as available from the product page for your unit.

What is the actual model number of your motherboard, as H77M is only part of it, and many models have that prefix designation which only signifies the H77 chipset and the M is for micro-ATX.

nzace

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Ah sorry it is the GA-H77M-D3H, It has the latest bios, and from what I can see there is no new win10 chipset drivers available on the Gigabyte website, I will disable fast restart and see how that goes.

nzace

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Ok thanks I'll give it a try.

nzace

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

The problem still persists after installing both intel drivers and the sound driver.

nzace

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

I did a fresh install on the ssd from a usb drive.

What is your installed bios version? I'm sure you're right that it has the latest version, but I'll be honest when I say that I've heard that about four thousand times in similar situations to this one, not necessarily Win10 related, just to find after much troubleshooting that they had relied on one of the bios or windows based automatic checking utilities and did not actually have the most recent release. So let's just double check to be sure.

Also, what revision is your GA-H77M-D3H? There is 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.

You might try updating the Intel rapid storage technology drivers, which cover both SATA and RAID functions, since your error seems to be an AHCI issue related to the SATA drivers.

Make sure you have AHCI enabled in the bios under the SATA mode selection options.

I'd enable Intel rapid start technology in the bios as well. This is directly related to waking from deep sleep events.

Disable ErP.

Set CSM (Compatibility support module) to auto.

These are all bios settings. You'll need to browse through your settings or check the motherboard manual if you're unsure how to find them.

nzace

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

The Mobo is revision 1.0 and it defiantly has the latest bios version (F14) I double checked in system info and in the bios.

nzace

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Ok the Sata mode is in AHCI but Intel rapid start technology was disabled, I couldn't see the other settings, Ill install the newest driver for Intel rapid start technology and see what happens.

I'm not sure you need to install a driver, perhaps on your system you do, but definitely change the bios setting. Seems the IRST driver was part of the Intel Rapid storage technology drivers, but I could be wrong. The other settings are all there in the bios as they were taken directly from your motherboard manual.

nzace

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Ok so now it wakes up every 10 or so minutes then after a couple of mins it goes back to sleep, the error is gone though now it says this

I also looked though my manual and searched though the online one here and couldn't see the any reference to csm or erp. Could you give me a page number thanks.

Doing a little more research on your motherboard, I'd probably go back and disable Rapid start and if you installed the drivers for it, uninstall them. This board apparently has issues with the feature. It seems your board version, according to the manual, doesn't have CSM, but that makes no sense as the manual for the version 1.2, which has the exact same bios version does show it.

ErP should be on the power management tab.

CSM should be on the Bios features tab.

If making those changes, including reversing the IRST settings doesn't help, I'd also try disabling the C3/C6 states in the bios.

Also, you might try changing your power profile in control panel to performance if it's currently set on balanced or power saving.

nzace

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

ok I disabled intel rapid start and uninstalled drivers, disabled C3/C6, ErP was already disabled and CSM isnt there. I am in High Performance but I set the options to default in case I had changed anything.

In doing all this we are back to square one with the raid error. Tomorrow I will unplug the WD 3tb drive and see if that effects anything.

Make sure you have any important data backed up before going any further. If a drive fails you could lose a lot of important data.

Run Seatools for Windows on all connected drives to check drive health and operation. Run the short drive self test and long generic test. If either test fails on a particular drive, reseat or replace it's SATA cable. Restest. If the drive fails again, try it on a different SATA header connection on the motherboard. If it fails again, replace the drive.

Since you were already on the high performance power plan, you might try going into the advanced power options by clicking change plan settings next to your plan name, then clicking change advanced power settings and set Link state power management is set to off under PCI Express and that under Processor power management the minimum is set to 5% and maximum is set to 100%. Or you can just change the whole plan to balanced and try that.

I'm starting to think this is an actual drive or motherboard issue, but let's try to eliminate everything else first.

nzace

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

The 3tb drive passed all tests and the problem still came up when it was unplugged. I switched the ssd's sata port and cable and that didn't change anything. I had a better look in the event viewer and it has actually been happening since I installed windows, its just I noticed it recently.. I'm guessing my mobo just doesn't like ahci mode, my old hdd ran in ide and this never happened.

Unless you have any other ideas I don't think I can do anything about it, I'd rather have the full speed of my ssd with ahci then run in IDE. Leaving my computer on or shutting it down at night wont be the end of the world.

IDE mode isn't an option. You need to have AHCI mode for any SATA drives.

When you say you did a "fresh" install, did you do a FULL clean install, deleting ALL the existing partitions on the target drive and installing to the unallocated and unpartitioned space? Open windows explorer and look to see if there is a Windows.old folder. If there is, you didn't do a clean install, you merely did a reset, which doesn't remove older drivers or applications that could be causing your troubles. It only reinstalls the core OS files and settings. A clean install needs to be done as follows if that is the case.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

You may just have to forego using sleep or consider a different motherboard with better storage controllers if nothing else works. I'd try the clean install as there are likely other factors involved that won't be eliminated or be likely to find without doing so. Things can get buried in the registry so deep that you'd never find them or know they are there, even if you analyze the dumps.

harriswuyh

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015

Hi
Did you ever try change the IRST driver to the Intel one ?, I see the same issue in AMD system in Windows 10, after I change the AMD chipset driver, so far it work OK, please help double confirm this, thanks.