[SOLVED] PC was fine for months, suddenly won't post, fixed but white VGA light stays on?

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Hi all,

A friend of mine who's pc has been working fine for months suddenly wouldn't post. Black screen on monitor, keyboard/mouse aren't either. But the internal components, fans/gpu/ram LED are turning on.

So I asked her to check the Q-LED lights and the DRAM yellow light is on. I'm confused how this could happen and am not sure what to do. She has powered down, unplugged pc, and reseated the ram. Now the VGA white light is on and a green boot light came on but we managed to get to boot, the keyboard and mouse are now turned on. The green boot light is off and the VGA white light remains on.

Build:
pc specs
☆ cpu: ryzen 7 2700x
☆ gpu: nvidia geforce gtx 1660ti
☆ mobo: rog strix b550-f
☆ ram: 16gb
☆ storage: 2tb HDD

I'm confused what's happening. Is there an issue with the GPU ? or is she going to be fine?

P.S sorry for the 100 edits.

Last edited:
Solution
Make and model of the PSU in the build? Include the age of the PSU in the above listed build. Link to the memory kit used on the build? Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? You might want to see if she can work with one stick of ram in slot A2, swap it out with the other stick to see if any of the two(assuming you have a dual channel ram kit to work with) is faulty/failing.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of the PSU in the build? Include the age of the PSU in the above listed build. Link to the memory kit used on the build? Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? You might want to see if she can work with one stick of ram in slot A2, swap it out with the other stick to see if any of the two(assuming you have a dual channel ram kit to work with) is faulty/failing.

Solution

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

Hi I'm so sorry, I updated it just as you responded. It seemed reseating the ram worked, she's made it to desktop but the white VGA light stays on. Do you think there's an issue there?

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

Turns out ram was just faulty like you guessed. after buying new ram all the issues stopped. thanks!