[SOLVED] PC was only booting after several restarts, now it won't boot at all

aenderle8

Reputable
Jul 16, 2018
About 3 months ago I began experiencing an issue where my computer would turn on (all fans and components appear to turn on) but there is no display and none of my peripherals power up. Originally I was fixing this issue by restarting my computer and after 1-3 restarts it would eventually work. However now the computer is just failing to boot regardless of how many times I restart it.

I have LEDs on my mobo that tell me what component is not working properly and currently the red (CPU) LED comes on whenever I try to boot. I've inspected and re-seated the CPU and it doesn't seem to have any bent or thermal paste covered pins. I am doubtful that it is an issue with the CPU because like I said the computer would start eventually after resetting it when this issue first began.

Right now my main theory is that my PSU is failing. Its the oldest component in my build (about 7 years old I believe) and has never been replaced. When I was restarting my machine to get it working that may have been the dying breaths of my PSU and now it's finally burned out and won't work properly. This is just my theory right now after trying several other suggestions, including:

-Reseating the CMOS battery
-Reseating the RAM
-Trying to boot with only one RAM stick (tested with both sticks)
-Checking all PSU connections to the mobo and GPU
-Reseating the CPU and applying new thermal paste

Any suggestions for possible fixes are much appreciated. I apologize for the lack of specs as I don't have them memorized and well, I can't turn my computer on to check them.

Solution
I think your assumption on PSU, if most likely the correct one. The CX600M wasn't the best of models that Corsair put out and with it's age, its a good chance it is failing / died. Do you have access to another PSU to try and confirm that issue?

aenderle8

Reputable
Jul 16, 2018
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
Uintah

Again I don't have my exact specs memorized and I can't check them currently but I'll list them to the best of my abilities.
PSU: Corsair CX600M
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 1060
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5
RAM: Corsair DDR4 16GB
Honestly can't remember what kind of mobo I have I just know it's an Asus.

Sorry again for the lack of detail but I have no way of accessing my exact specs.

tecmo34

Administrator
I think your assumption on PSU, if most likely the correct one. The CX600M wasn't the best of models that Corsair put out and with it's age, its a good chance it is failing / died. Do you have access to another PSU to try and confirm that issue?

Last edited:
Solution

aenderle8

Reputable
Jul 16, 2018

I do not but I'm planning on ordering a new one soon. Probably best to replace it anyways even if it isn't the problem.

Aug 29, 2021
I currently have the same problem. A few days before this got so dramatic a control light on my motherboard turned on which said "VGA", that means that the problem why it wouldnt boot before was my graphics card. Only resetting the bios helped. And my windows suddenly shuts down too, and when i type in "reliability history" in the windows search bar it says: "Hardware Error, Windows was suddenly shut down."

Maybe your GPU is also your problem.

TRENDING THREADS