Pc water chiller and radiator

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimothyJ

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Would it make sense to use a rafiator and a water cooler to get a overclocked system to colder tempatures without condesation or would that be overkill to use both

USAFRet

Titan

Seems so.
My question above was aimed at the OP. And no response.

Dec 27, 2019
Well I can give you some insight on using an aquarium chiller because I use one and have used them in the past.
I use a 1/4hp active aqua and my rig is a 9900k OC to 5.4ghz with a 2080ti OC to 2195mhz stable. I sealed my case 90+% so only minimal air enters and I have radiators with fans running at really slow speed which keeps internal case temperature extremely low. Depending on your geological location and relative humidity vs temperature will determine what temp you can run chiller at before condensation will form. I live in a very dry climate and I can run around 6c yr round with no problems. My normal cpu temp while gaming is around 25-30c my GPU 18-21c memory 4dimms 4200mhz cl15 timings 20-22c, vrm 23c.

my cpu was stable @5.3ghz but a lot higher vcore 1.45v with 21c water temp no chiller, with chiller 5c water temp 5.4ghz stable 1.375v, 5.3ghz 1.325v, 5ghz 1.235v

So if you have the money and want to do it go for it, and pick up a temperature gauge with humidity for room where pc is and use accuweather app to check DewPoint along with a dewpoint calculator and you will figure out what temps works for you.

my system draws 650w while gaming and I’m going to be adding a 2nd 2080ti soon so I will be picking up a second chiller to keep up, but the 1/4hp active aqua can handle this load and will maintain 7c while gaming with 22-25c ambient room temp.

a d5 pump and a normal tall reservoir is fine I run a dual d5 pump setup and the higher flow helps since I am usually pushing wattage to chiller efficiency to limit. I’m currently going to be moving my chiller to a window ledge in room to evacuate heat better as it does heat room up but not as much as using just radiators and Noctua fans.
My opinion is that if u have a loop and care about Overclocking and your components a chiller is best bet if you can afford the cost of running it/electricity. I have done extreme cooling over the yrs, dry ice, ln2 and ran so pretty crazy phase change units 1,2 and 3 stage units down to -100c and I will never build a pc watercooled without a chiller setup.

Reactions: jappy and zx128k

zx128k

Reputable
I thought you went with a chiller, then bypassed the thermostat so you could go to 0 or below. Then insulated the hell out of everything.

Example,
-20c chiller

With the likes of the 3800x a chiller at -20c would give you an 4.3-4. 4Ghz all cores overclock just because of the temperatures. If it's worth it is subjective and the OP can only answer that themselves. Would you spend the money? Remember an increase in the electric bill is involved.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020
I thought you went with a chiller, then bypassed the thermostat so you could go to 0 or below. Then insulated the hell out of everything.

Example,
-20c chiller

With the likes of the 3800x a chiller at -20c would give you an 4.3-4. 4Ghz all cores overclock just because of the temperatures. If it's worth it is subjective and the OP can only answer that themselves. Would you spend the money? Remember an increase in the electric bill is involved.
The nice thing about the chiller is you can let it regulate the temps or effectively drop it out of the loop if you don't need it. Gives one a lot of control. Plus it's fun. Not as much fun as aquaria, but way less expensive and labor intensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.